All you gear heads what is this noise

it’s a whine. looking online people say it may be the transmission torque converter. I don’t even know what that is. anyone else heard this before. it does sound like it’s coming from transmission.
2014 silverado

2 Likes

Put some gear oil in the rear end.

i just replaced the rear end oil like a month ago. this is the front of truck where transmission is. i thought the rear end is isolated.

Is this a four wheel drive?

Flex plate.
Put it in gear give me some gas see if it changes try it in reverse also.

But it very well could be something with the transmission. Look at & Smell your transmission fluid.

Sounds ti me like it could be a pully with a bad bearing, hard to tell from the video.

Take a broom handle or something like that and put one end on the transmission and on the other end place your palm and then your ear on top of the back of your hand.

As you move the business end of the broomstick around use your hearing to more closely locate the origin of the noise. You might not be able to locare the exact location of the noise, but this method will allow you to rule other things out and close in on the noise location

Since the transmission isnt engaged in the video the transmission isnt really suspect to me at first glance.

Best of luck chasing gremlins

Sounds like the “whine” could be torque converter related?
A common issue in those model 1500’S.
Always a cheaper fix to change out, before the converter grenades, and takes out the transmission.
Probably best to take the truck to a transmission shop, for a more reliable diagnosis.
Good Luck!

not 4WD
10 characters

it does this when in drive sitting still. i’ll give it gas today and see

i didn’t know this could be replaced without a huge overhaul. i’ll look into it.

Cool! Keep us posted!

Silly question, as it looks very clean, but is transfluid level good? They’ll get a whine with low fluid levels. If not, I’d put my money on Torque converter. How many miles on truck. Don’t let anyone tell you a fluid change / flush will fix it. How is it shifting? any different between gears? We’ve had several of those years and have had several transmission failures… never heard that “whine” before. Usually in the 120,000-180,000 range. Haven’t had one make it to 200,000 with our a trans going… (rough service). Two wheel drive a piece of cake, hardest part on those is getting the cooling lines loose. One person 6 hours in and out.

If it comes to it I just used Coastal Transmission in Beaufort. 36,000 mile or 12 month warranty. They basically round robin it. They usually have a transmission built ready to swap out.

If you feel inclined you can drop the oil pan and look for metal, or black clutch material. On that note, what color and smell is you transfluid. Looking for pink and slightly “sweet” smell. Don’t want brown and burnt.

More rambling… The broom stick thing works, but a long handled screw driver to you ear works much better for isolating noise. Even better a cheap 5-10$ mechanics stethoscope at most all local autoparts stores or amazon. This thing will get you very close to actual noise source.

dealership flushed transmission about 2 months ago. fluid looks ok I think. it does shift late at times when i hit the gas hard. it’s done that though for quite a while. flushing the fluid helped for a few weeks but still does it. It has 160k miles on it.
beaufort is a bit far. I’ll try and find a transmission place here local.

If you got 160,000 miles on it, you probably got the best out of it

If Ravenel isn’t too far ?

I can’t help you a bit in your area… But give the one in Beaufort a call, they used to have service to actually come pick it up and return it for you. They did the wife’s Taurus about 12 years ago like that. Came to the house loaded it on a roll back and then brought it back in 3 days. Just throwing that out there. Disclaimer… if you do you them and things go bad don’t get mad at me. :grin: I’m in no way affiliated with them.

Tel: 843 524 9433

Transmission for my truck was $4300
150,000 miles

Yep! One of my guys just had a Jasper re-man put in his '99 Chevy 1500. Cost the same, except he had over 360,000 original miles on his.

My F-250 trans. (can I say trans?) cost under $2000.00, when I had it rebuilt, at 210,000 miles. Nearly 300,000 miles on the rebuild.

Not trying to stir anything, but no way would I get anything from Jasper. NOTHING. Cheapest parts installed and very poor repair jobs. Will your Jasper engine or transmission make it past their warranty. Hopefully, but I’ve not seen many make it the long haul… And yes I’ve had many personal examples my own and others.