An Open Net is the Best Kind

Over the years I have driven my brother crazy judging his “net worth” as he cast the net during shrimping season. Most of the time, I really just commented when he had a poor throw, that resulted in very few shrimp. I would explain that his “net worth” was dropping. He finally threatened to throw me out of the boat if I did not shut up while he was casting. There is something testosterone driven when it comes to buying a cast net. Everyone wants their friends to know that they can throw a big net without any problem and often brag about throwing large nets to make sure they can one up the next guy.

Unfortunately this mentality is more of a hindrance than a help and many times we end up with a net that is way too large and we either struggle to open it, throw it accurately, cannot move the next day, or all of the above. When shrimping over bait you must be able to pick your targets and hit them consistently in order for your net to end up over your bait. Missing the bait by the slightest bit will greatly reduce the number of shrimp you catch with each cast. Having a wide open cast will help you have a better chance of hitting your bait and will also allow you to catch the shrimp that are scattering as the net hits the water’s surface.

For those of you just getting started, there is not shame in throwing a small net especially until you develop a technique and get a feel for the size of net that fits you the best. I’ve seen many a man brag about throwing an 8’ net only to be out done by a guy throwing a 5-footer. As you head out to buy your net this season, don’t let your pride get in the way of going out and throwing a net that does not leave one of your arms longer than the other. By buying the right net you will catch more shrimp and if you have a comedian on board he cannot make stupid comments about our “net worth” dropping.

Tight Lines,
Andy Pickett,
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>