Any Dog Whispers In The House?

So, about a month ago we picked up a lab mix puppy. We already had a couple of older (7/8 yrs old) Chihuahuas that lived fine with a lab in the house until we had to put him down last year.

He gets along fine with one of the Chihuahuas, but the other can’t even get near him without growling or snapping at him. It’s obvious Jack, the puppy, just wants to play, but Bruno doesn’t want any part of it.

It was cute at first and I thought it would wear off, but after a month it’s not getting any better and it’s really getting old having to keep them separated all the time. Bruno won’t even go out in the yard when he knows Jack is out there.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on how to get him over this. We love this new puppy and he’s probably the smartest dog we’ve ever owned and I really want to keep him.

And no, getting rid of the Chihuahua is not going to happen, since the decision is not only up to me. :smiley:

This is what goes on any time they’re near each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Ai_o4XWwE&feature=youtu.be

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

Looks like the puppy is bored, and that’s what he’s doing for fun. Keep him well exercised and wear him out. That’s going to be hard to do, but that’s the solution until the puppy wears out of him. My advise is to give him a job to do that’s challenging for him, but keeps him entertained, like having to find food, or his favorite toy, ect.

It will keep him occupied and burn off the energy at the same time.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

you’re supposed to be the Alpha in the house.

both dogs are exhibiting unfavorable behavior IMO.

shut that crap down ASAP instead of filming it.

Take your ball cap and wear both their asses out.

It ain’t as bad as the pig tries to make it sound.

Striper, I would agree with tiger and scatter. You have to be the alpha in your house and both dogs are exhibiting unwanted behaviors. It will probably all go away as the puppy matures, but in the meantime, you and your puppy could benefit from enrolling your pup in an obedience class. The classes usually meet once a week for 4 to 5 weeks and cost around $60. Your puppy will learn how to interact with other people and dogs as well as some important commands. You will learn training techniques that you can use on this puppy as well as your adult dogs and any other dogs you have in the future, so the money is well spent. I have owned dogs my entire life, and at 42 have just finished taking a puppy through the canine good citizen certification. The knowledge from these courses has been well worth the expense and has made this puppy a joy to have as part of the family and we now have a dog that is obedient and we can take almost anywhere.

I am a dog whisperer, but I’d have to sit down and whisper with both of them for a while before working out the solution. Beating and screaming at dog never makes them better. Not anymore than it will your wife.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I am a dog whisperer, but I’d have to sit down and whisper with both of them for a while before working out the solution. Beating and screaming at dog never makes them better. Not anymore than it will your wife.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Come on Cracker, I have whipped my wife's ass, and the dog fell right in line. Secret is to whip the wife before the dog. I have found my dog learns quicker that way....

Makes for a happy family and dogship…

RBF

My name is RBF, and I am a recovering major thread hijacker.

I agree, cracker. Dogs need discipline and rules and boundaries, but injecting more energy into an already energetic situation only makes things worse. You have to be calm yet firm with a dog. If it was a fair fight, I’d say lock the two in the same kennel and they’ll work out their differences, but I believe you’d just end up with a bloody pup in this situation.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Some of the aggression in the old dog may be coming from him not getting the attention, he is used to. I know everyone likes to play with a new puppy, but the old dog may see it as if he is being pushed out of his place? I know this may sound silly, but do think the wife would feel pushed out, if you brought a 20 something woman into the house and you played with her until the new wore off? Everyone has their place in the pack!

By posting that video, I didn’t mean to imply that we just sit there and watch this all day. I was just purposely letting them go at it to see if they would just give up after a while, but no luck there. Normally yelling a bit while slapping rolled up newspaper shuts them up for a while, but starts back up at another time.

Thanks for the replies. I was only seeing the little Mexican as the bad guy and giving the puppy a free pass. Going to change that and take HFF’s advice and get Jack some training as well. We’ve had plenty of dogs over the years, but it’s always been older dogs we’ve taken in, so still pretty new to this puppy thing.

FS90 Suzuki

We need to think of dogs in human terms, too.

The older dogs are ‘Grandpa’ age, trying to live with a toddler irritating them constantly, as in “Grumpy ole’ men”.

Probably just TRY the obedience thing first, and try separate areas as much as possible.

“The big one’s still swimming, let’s go.”

Gonna go with rbf. Whip your wife in front of the dog.

Also DF wants to know why that Chihuahua trampolining off your lap doesn’t hurt

“Enough hijacking, this is a major thread”

Peapod, I saw RBF 's reply and purposely didn’t acknowledge it as it just seemed like a cruel and insensitive joke.

Just the thought of making the dogs watch turns my stomach!

FS90 Suzuki

Some of yall just ain’t right :smiley:

But I really can dog whisper, and listen to them, just can’t do it over the internet. One of the few things I know pretty well, besides boats and fish, are dogs.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Some of yall just ain’t right :smiley:

But I really can dog whisper, and listen to them, just can’t do it over the internet…

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Larry, it’s 2015, you need to get with it. :smiley:

FS90 Suzuki

My suggestion would be to let them interact in a neutral location. Just from that video, the little guy is on your legs, and he’s protecting you from the new guy. Get them both on an open field and let them work it out. If it gets heated then step in and take charge.

I would lock them in the laundry room and take a seat on the dryer playing ref. Barring a fight it will force them to work things out. They don’t really appear aggressive so I doubt they will fight.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

quote:
Originally posted by striperskiff

Peapod, I saw RBF 's reply and purposely didn’t acknowledge it as it just seemed like a cruel and insensitive joke.

Just the thought of making the dogs watch turns my stomach!

FS90 Suzuki

In reality, it did not do much to help me with my dog. My basset hound just rolled over and thought I was giving out free belly rubs…

In the end, it did help the marital relationship, but the dog still is stubborn as she always has been. The key is to make sure the wife has read 50 Shades of Grey prior to disciplining your dog…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

I would lock them in the laundry room and take a seat on the dryer playing ref. Barring a fight it will force them to work things out. They don’t really appear aggressive so I doubt they will fight.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

I’ll take $50 on the “yo quiero taco bell” trampolining dog…

RBF

Dear Striper…Dogs are pack animals…period, end of sentence. Every dog in the pack searches for it’s rightful place through probing and testing for weakness. Young dogs in the pack will challenge the leader in order to adjust their behavior accordingly. If the young dog successfully dominates a dog further “up the food chain”, then it takes it’s place in the pack. In the wild this is important because the stronger more dominant dogs get to eat before the weaker pack members. Your new dog is challenging the dog it perceives as “ahead” of it in the pack. Paws in the air, bite and retreat, charge and challenge are all behaviors that signal this natural process. You’re only solution is to challenge the challenger and put him in his place. Show him where he belongs. I suggest that you kennel the puppy any time it exhibits aggressive, dominate behavior. Isolate him and remove the temptation to challenge the other dog. I would also develop a quick, loud, sharp correction command…it just needs to be a guttural sound…“EHHHH”! Don’t us the word “NO” unless you say it with a guttural, snarling effect. Saying “NO” without the proper sound emphasis is useless. Nip the challenge behavior in the bud…A quick loud correction followed by putting the dog in the kennel. Let him out after 15 minutes, and immediately reward positive behavior around the other dog with strokes and soothing sounds of approval. Repeat as necessary, and always as soon as it happens. Eventually the dog will associate the soothing sounds and pleasant stroking as a better alternative to the sharp correction and removal to the kennel. You must be vigilant, and immediate, in both correction and praise. Anything less will fail to solve this common problem. Now get to work…this will take weeks to solve.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

Exactly what I was saying, about if you were to bring in a hot 20 something into the family home and spent all your time playing with her:wink: