Anybody going this weekend? 5/14-15

I’m thinking about trying to dive down to 60ft on the reef. Is anyone else going out? Has anybody had any luck in the last few weeks?

Last weekend was rough the wind kicked up in the afternoon, made for a really long trip home. I have been really lucky and have made it off shore once a week for the last month. Mostly i run into the Spade fish I have has some luck with the Cobia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjJz9Nq-DhI

Erik

I went on Saturday. We did 2 quick dives before the wind kicked up. 3 gags, 3 lobster. Saw a few more gags.

Lucky! i dont know what my problem was Saturday i had two great opportunities for groupers and missed them both. SMH i’m still pissed at myself.

Erik

I’m really hoping that the weather will turn for this weekend. Its not looking good though. I spotted three cobia cruising by, but they wouldn’t let me get close enough.
I haven’t found any grouper lately.

yea i didnt see any on my ‘cobia day’ but i have seen a few grouper while SCUBA in 110’

Erik

I hope to get a nice cobia for dinner by the time the season ends. I think I need to work on a smoother approach to get in close enough.
They have those weird closures for cobia around Edisto, so when I legally catch mine I will have to tip-toe back past the Edisto danger zone to get home. Closures make me angry…

yea the season limits this year are weird. The approach techniques do differ by the fish, Wahoo will almost chase you if you turn away from them, while others your only hope is to charge them and shoot as fast as possible.

Erik

I just finished up my certification and am looking to get into spear fishing, is there a large group of people that do that here in Charleston area? Very interested to learn the game.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

http://www.scubajohns.com/sc-offshore-dive-sites.html

^ These guys are your best chance to get into the sport (in Charleston) they take spearos out and just keep you separate from the rec divers.
A big initial challenge for you is just getting good at multitasking both underwater. It’s not very complicated but if a grouper that you thought was dead on your stringer knocks your mask off or your reg out it’s easy to freak out.

Erik

Also this is the link to the South Carolina SCUBA/ Spearfishing page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/233064873477013/

Every once in a while you will see a post from people looking for a last minute dive buddy, mostly in your area or Myrtle beach. People are picky about who they will take since there are a lot of stories about people freaking out in our not so clear water. My personal preference/ requirement for dive buddies is you need to have years of experience, video proof of your diving, or you need to be a Black Water diver. Because if you can handle Black Water you can handle anything.

Erik

I know it’s frowned upon, but I feel safer solo as long as I’m not going super deep. I had a buddy freak out before, and it’s way worse than being alone. You need a buddy who can keep his cool. Free diving we usually take turns, but I can’t hold my breath very long.

I missed my chance to take a nice cobia today because a sucker fish flooded my mask when I was aiming. Suddenly I was seeing double from the water. I had to put the safety back on, hold my gun between my legs, clear twice, then convince the sucker fish that he didn’t want to attach to my face. The two cobia were long out of range by the time I got over it. That’s multitasking.
The cobia came by for a victory lap when I was down to 230 psi, but was still just out of range, and I still had 30 ft to go.

I agree with you, when i’m doing black water i don’t want to be near anyone else. Most spearfishing i like to have a buddy there but in 50’ or so i’m comfortable alone. Thats crazy what happened to you ive never had one of those come after me before.

Erik / Sven

Thanks for the responses, I understand completely the requirement to be able to depend on a dive buddy 100% and have a long ways to go, but you have to start somewhere, appreciate the input. That is crazy about the sucker fish.
Bill

I thought it was strange too. I’m personally a bit creeped out by those suckers. That’s what I get for hiding on the wreck.

Just bought a five line, by j.sink, duel 60’ lines. I’m looking for people to break it in with

steve0

quote:
Originally posted by gonegiggin

Just bought a five line, by j.sink, duel 60’ lines. I’m looking for people to break it in with

steve0

I don't have experience with a hookah system. I'm assuming it's like diving on air? Does it have a reserve to safely ascend if the system fails?

I’m usually on nitrox or just free diving.