Anyone got a VHF base with info on dead boat?

Anyone got a VHF base set up that can give updates on this vessel that’s been reported dead in the water about 80 to 100 miles off Charleston since this afternoon?

Hearing its a 24 footer and a USCG cutter was redirected to search at around 1800. No EBIRB on vessel and scatters VHF coms last report I got.

2005 Fountain 32CC with that Verado power

Not yet made a post about fishing the east side a friend talked to Coast Guard that tows for Tow Boat they not going Coast Guard is they were 105 miles off G.town. I dont think they will tow the boat probably just bring the crew. My buddy said would keep me updated will let you know if I hear any news.

Awesome. Yeah everyone over on the Charleston boat life FB page is trying to figure out if its anyone we know and so on. Sucks being stuck on the water but really sucks 100 miles out and its now night.

They said 24 seahunt single engine not sure where they were out of.

Everyone acts like going 50+ on a single motor makes you more of die hard fishing nut or something. Only thing dumber than going that far on one screw is not going with enough fuel.

No doubt I run a 61 sportfish with 1300 gallons and get the shakes sometimes.

Empty Pockets 2, that’s not you is it?

quote:
Originally posted by Chad

Everyone acts like going 50+ on a single motor makes you more of die hard fishing nut or something. Only thing dumber than going that far on one screw is not going with enough fuel.

That’s why they make Sat phones. You can afford one with 1/2 the cost of two motors. Carry a spare prop and your golden…from a single screw.

USCG reporting they moored up in Myrtle last night. Had gotten air in the fuel line and were able to get it fixed and made it in under own power.

quote:

99.9% of the time a single engine boat makes it back under it’s own power, just like 99.9% of the time, a single engine aircraft makes it to the ground under it’s own power. Everyone can’t have “that Verado power”.

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy
quote:

That’s why they make Sat phones. You can afford one with 1/2 the cost of two motors. Carry a spare prop and your golden…from a single screw.

Sat Phones are good piece of mind. I have a PLB, Sat Phone, and a Spot. I’m getting back home… I also have twin engines…

But I agree, if you are going to go to “the other side” by yourself, with or without two engines, you need to have a sat phone…

quote:

That's a ridiculous statement. Single engine boats have been going out fishing 50+ miles since before you were born. And I don't care how old you are.

Technology is way better than it was back then. It get’s safer every year.

I’d take one Yamaha over 2 verado’s anyday.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

I’d take one Yamaha over 2 verado’s anyday.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Bazinga!

Now they’re saying they pulled the kill switch by accident?

Ouch…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Ouch…

Wadmalaw native

We used to call that a short between the seat and the steering wheel…
Most of the time people would forget to put the kill switch in in the first place. We’d get a call because their new boat wouldn’t crank.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Ouch…

Wadmalaw native

My first 25 Bertram, Maddies Daddy, had dual 150 Yamaha’s(new) and a kill switch. I’d never had that new of a motor with a kill switch. Anyway, my buddy and I stayed to fish the afternoon bite on the South Ledge. It was beautiful weather and water.
Yellowfin tuna started jumping on flying fish…I mean lots of them. We had 3 knockdowns and boated 2. My friend wanted to gaff the last one and knocked him off. Kicked an empty small cooler stomping around up front while I was putting lines back out.
Both engines shut off…I run forward and both the keys are on. I try to start and no joy. They turn over but won’t start. I think its the inline fuses. Take the cowls off…they’re good…pull a plug wire…no spark…either engine. Sun is on the horizon and there isn’t another boat around. I look at him and say, we’re in deep stool.

I’m freaked and go back forward and notice the cooler had dislodged the kill switch…I’d panicked and not noticed it before because the cooler was on top the kill switch key and red lanyard …I pushed it back in and told him to get ready to float to North Carolina. The fear on his face didn’t match the amazement when I fired the first engine. I smacked him with the cooler a couple of times before I fired the other one. We headed to the house without much talking. That fear is quite motivating.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy
quote:

Sat Phones are good piece of mind. I have a PLB, Sat Phone, and a Spot. I’m getting back home… I also have twin engines…

But I agree, if you are going to go to “the other side” by yourself, with or without two engines, you need to have a sat phone…

“But I agree”…man this is a first for me. This goes in a time capsule somewhere in the bowels of the internet.

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

99.9% of the time a single engine boat makes it back under it’s own power, just like 99.9% of the time, a single engine aircraft makes it to the ground under it’s own power. Everyone can’t have “that Verado power”.

Might want to adjust those numbers a little. By the way…every aircraft I have flown thus fas has made it under its own power to the ground. An emergency landing is under its own power. When your not under your own power thats a really bad day in aviation.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

That's a ridiculous statement. Single engine boats have been going out fishing 50+ miles since before you were born. And I don't care how old you are.

Technology is way better than it was back then. It get’s safer every year.

I guess…I don’t know too many large CC boats that run on one motor though. Guess I should of said. You’re and idiot to be 100 miles out with a 4 to 5 forecast in a boat under 25 feet. And yeah we all know of Johnny the local fishing idiot that takes his 16 foot john boat 150 miles out. That don’t make you any less of an idiot because you do so. But it sure don’t prove much either.