anyone have figs?

We have a couple of newer fig trees in the ground, and they have put out a handful of figs and they are ripe (and delicious!). But the little bit we got is not enough to put up-

Now that figs are in season, does anyone have a pile of them that they want to let me pick? If so, what do you want for em?

Ours are already done and put up in preserves. I picked the stragglers 1-2 weeks ago and dehydrated them, good stuff.

uh oh, I hope i didnt miss the boat! Ours may be late bloomers…

Mine have come and gone too. I got 8 pints of preserves and a quart in the freezer while I waited on the stragglers which never developed or got eaten by a bird.

My fig tree is a cutting from my grand-daddy’s fig tree…it may even be from my great-great-granddads tree. It’s been putting out figs for over 100 years. They are yummy.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Mine is the largest you’ve seen, trust me. We’ve had one picking so far but there are thousands of green figs still on the tree. Capt tang gets first dibs, but once they ripen, you’re welcome to come pick some.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Yep, mine were ripe in early/mid July and only lasted a week or two as what I didnt pick the birds took. The tree is already starting to shed leaves. Seems like a short window when they are available to pick.

We’ve got a large tree, been getting figs for a couple of weeks and it’s still loaded with green ones. I don’t really like them myself but my wife does and other family.

Got a good crop of grapes too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Thanks Ricky - let me know what I can bring you!

Larry by the time I got back from your house I would have eaten them all already. :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

Larry by the time I got back from your house I would have eaten them all already. :smiley:

Be careful of how many you eat in one sitting, figs are super high in dietary fiber…

My tree

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

My tree

I think you are wasting your Einstein mind at your current employment. You should have a green thumb career.*

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

If it paid the same, I certainly would.

Woah, thats a big fig tree, like 3-4 times the size of mine. Looks like several bunched together actually. Lucky man. Looks like you have a big yard too.

Dang! That thing is huge, about 6 times larger than ours :sunglasses: I’ve only seen one larger than that and it was planted during the war of northern aggression. How old is that tree?

Anybody ever tried making fig wine?

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

fig wine - now there is an idea! I have all the stuff to make it if anyone wants to do a trial run

edit: except… you know… figs.:face_with_head_bandage:

quote:
Originally posted by InshoreAngler

Woah, thats a big fig tree, like 3-4 times the size of mine. Looks like several bunched together actually. Lucky man. Looks like you have a big yard too.

I’m sure 23SF has “enhanced” them. Pobably has Lance Armstrong over a lot…

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

The house was built in 1978 and I think it was planted by the original owner, but I could be wrong. Maybe its older, not sure. I think it just happens to be in a great area for it to thrive. Good water/sun mix, I don’t know. I don’t do anything to it. This year, I’ll trim it back quite a bit.

You guys made me think about figs today, so I had a hand full for dessert tonight. Yum yum

What is the name of these fig trees and where can I purchase one? Thank you for any help.

They sell them locally; I’ve seen them plenty. If you wait until the fall when the leaves fall, you can come get a volunteer from my tree. I think they’re fairly hearty and easy to start in a pot.