Anyone know much about a 4 legged Beaver?

Guess I’ve got one in my pond. Was walking around this morning and saw the dog with a big bark free stick in it’s mouth. Figured the kids must have thrown it in. Looking closer the end was chewed like a pencil and found several other Willow chomped down. Also saw a baby cypress chewed off. Had to happen in the last day. Pond was clear now very muddy. No running water in it and I see no sign of a beaver mound/nest. How you get rid of em? See no signs coming up pond bank and saw a couple more small bushes chomped. I’ve snuck down a few times today and nothing… are they more nocturnal? More important will they/it stay or move on with no running water? This thing keeps chomping my trees it’s gonna get lead poison.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

A .22lr on a moonlit night…very nocturnal.

NN

If you find his dam, go to Gander or Field and Stream and get a conibear 330 trap. Go to youtube and watch videos about setting said trap. Bust dam and set in opening.

quote:
Originally posted by longbearded1

If you find his dam, go to Gander or Field and Stream and get a conibear 330 trap. Go to youtube and watch videos about setting said trap. Bust dam and set in opening.

Absolutely not! A conibear designed for beaver will kill a dog instantly, a mentor of mine had a client lose a beautiful 90 lb lab,one howl is all he heard,dog was stone cold dead. Try to set a big conibear without a setting tool, nearly impossible to pull apart.

Proper set would be a leg hold on a slide rod,beaver trips leg hold and swims down , chain is attached to angle that only slides downward, when said beaver tries to swim up, chain won’t slide upward, beaver drowns.

A typical family consists of 5-7 per den.

Have fun!

quote:
Originally posted by longbearded1

I was going to mention doing the same regarding the dam, but sitting there with the .22, as they will come to repair soon. Don’t want your dog sticking his head in that trap.

NN

Man, leave that beaver alone. You got to get Zen…or 22 at night.

Got 2 off of my pond with my AK 47 off my back deck Chrismass morning last year. Over the years I have tried traps for muskrats but 50 percent of the time I get a snapping turtle or the neighbors dog.Be there early or late.

No dam to be found? A lone wander? I hope. Crazy how muddy it or they have the pond. No .22 this one gets the .270 or the .12 gauge. Will slip out tonight and spot around.

Do they come out on the bank or mostly stay in the water?

If I set a trap not sure where to do it and the crazy dogs are all over the place. I had otters once and had plenty of signs, but I see nothing on this one

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Poly, you know your trapping but, don’t you think the leg trap could also cause an issue with the dogs??

NN

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Poly, you know your trapping but, don’t you think the leg trap could also cause an issue with the dogs??

NN

nope, it's designed for the beaver to swim to the bottom,resulting in his drowning. If the dog were to step in it, he'd just get his feelings hurt.
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:

NN

nope, it's designed for the beaver to swim to the bottom,resulting in his drowning. If the dog were to step in it, he'd just get his feelings hurt.

Polly, only traps I’ve used are for rats, mice and an occasional leg trap on a T post:wink: The ones I’ve seen/used I’d be scared they’d brake a dogs leg if not hurt it real bad. :question: If I can’t shoot it or them, I may need to get some advise from you.

Fred, been along time but, i shot them with .22 during a moonlit night. I tried using a light but, when I turned it on, it was a tail slap and gone.

This was in a couple of flowing creeks they would dam up. This could be some young ones looking for new territory after the parents pushed them out…

NN

This time of year beavers do start to wander, particularly young males. If that beaver is hanging around, then he’s got a den or hut. Doesn’t take them long to build either.

I agree if you intend to set a 330, then lock up the dogs so they can’t get in it, and you want it submerged somewhere deep. The idea is to make the beaver dive into the trap, then changes are dogs will swim over the trap. Of course, you can’t count on that, and body grip traps that big are not kind to dogs.

If it’s a small beaver, you can make that slide set with a number 2 foot hold, but a 3 or 4 is what’s usual for beavers. I haven’t checked the legality, but beavers can be snared too with a similar sliding mechanism to get them into deep water & drown.

Wish I had the time, I haven’t trapped any in a long time & would love to have some beaver fur for fly tying & the meat. I still have a bunch of traps that I used for them.

A Beaver Depredation Permit, from DNR, is required to choot’em at night, legally…just sayin’.

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

A Beaver Depredation Permit, from DNR, is required to choot’em at night, legally…just sayin’.

I did look up regs… open season during the day. I’d never shoot one at night. Good thing I’ve got good neighbors. :wink: If this thing doesn’t go away, I might need to get a depredation permit.

Got plenty of frogs! Love to hear them. and also tons of spiders! Spider eyes shine blue like crazy.

quote:
Originally posted by bigjim5589

This time of year beavers do start to wander, particularly young males. If that beaver is hanging around, then he’s got a den or hut. Doesn’t take them long to build either.

I agree if you intend to set a 330, then lock up the dogs so they can’t get in it, and you want it submerged somewhere deep. The idea is to make the beaver dive into the trap, then changes are dogs will swim over the trap. Of course, you can’t count on that, and body grip traps that big are not kind to dogs.

If it’s a small beaver, you can make that slide set with a number 2 foot hold, but a 3 or 4 is what’s usual for beavers. I haven’t checked the legality, but beavers can be snared too with a similar sliding mechanism to get them into deep water & drown.

Wish I had the time, I haven’t trapped any in a long time & would love to have some beaver fur for fly tying & the meat. I still have a bunch of traps that I used for them.

If I get one you are welcome to it. pm me your number and if we can’t make a quick meet I’ll gut it and wrap it whole in a trash bag and throw it in the freezer.

Used to trap them a lot back in the day. If you don’t see a den they probably have burrowed into the bank. They do this more than you would think. We would try to narrow the area where his bank den is then get in the water with waders and kick the bank until we found the entrance. A conibear set at the entrance would get them every time. Its underwater so safe for dogs.

quote:

Fred, been along time but, i shot them with .22 during a moonlit night. I tried using a light but, when I turned it on, it was a tail slap and gone.

This was in a couple of flowing creeks they would dam up. This could be some young ones looking for new territory after the parents pushed them out…

NN

I think you’re right on the money on the light thing. Did not cut on light until I got to the pond and heard a big splash. All I saw was ripples in the water. If I can’t get this thing I may try what Hooligan mentioned and start checking the banks for an entrance to a den and then a quarter stick of dynamite. :question:

Don’t think I got to hear a tail slap, just something much bigger than a frog entering the water. Wife now wants to see it before I shoot it. Told her she could look at it dead and she got mad at me. Heck loving to shoot stuff and a wife that hates it. :smiley:

The only way you are allowed to set a conibear trap is an underwater set. I have bad problems with beavers at my place in Orangeburg. If you can find where they are coming in and out from, you can set one right at the entrance. They built a whole network of tunnels in my pond dam, some so big I could almost stand up in. They finally cored the dam out and it failed.:imp: If you think you have a beaver, you most likely have 20. My self and my neighbor have killed quite a few over the last 5 years, but I still think there are a good many left.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Fought with them for years on our land on the headwaters of the Edisto river
Finally the landowner across the swamp from me got fed up and bought/ acquired some gators
They love to eat beavers . Beavers have stopped moving up the creek . Now we just have to worry bout gators :frowning:

84 HYDRA SPORT 1800SS
89 Yamaha 150
‘BAD HABIT’
89 TRACKER 17 TX
MERC 50
‘OL LEAKY’