Anyone on here good at carb tuning?

I’ve got a 3 cylinder 2 stroke that I can’t get to behave.
New rings, new reeds, new plugs, new wires,

MSD ignition box and getting good spark to all cylinder.
I can’t seem to get the carbs where they need to be.

I posted this in boats and motors too, but I never hang out in that section.

At first, I read “Crab Turning”

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and Be Happy!

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

I’ve got a 3 cylinder 2 stroke that I can’t get to behave.
New rings, new reeds, new plugs, new wires,

MSD ignition box and getting good spark to all cylinder.
I can’t seem to get the carbs where they need to be.

I posted this in boats and motors too, but I never hang out in that section.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

I had a similar issue and it turned out all of my fuel lines had deteriorated (breaking down on the inside of the line due to ethanol).

I would clean the carb…run great and then started acting funny… repeat and same thing over and over. Also,make sure you not only check the main fuel lines but also all of the fuel lines within the motor itself.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

It’s really simple to tear down and clean most carbs on a two stroke. The trick is to synchronize them once you’ve put them back together. All those little linkages between the carbs need to allow all three carbs to close at exactly the same time.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I’m going to yank them again one day this week for a full clean and base line reset.
timing is set at 30 degrees BTDC with 14 degrees retard to finish at 16 BTDC at 8500 rpm per the switches on the MSD box.

I keep flooding 1 or 2 cylinders. Then cylinder goes cold, plugs are wet when I shut it down.

What engine? (name brand)

I had a similar issue and it turned out all of my fuel lines had deteriorated (breaking down on the inside of the line due to ethanol).

x2

Engine is an Arctic Cat ZRT 800 triple from a snowmobile.
Lots of aftermarket goodies. Mikuni flat slide triple carb rack. V Force reeds, custom pipes, MSD ignition box.
I’m running mostly stock jugs and pistons

If they have sat for a while I’d go by an auto parts stir and pick up a gallon can of carb cleaner , strip them down as far as you can and let em sit overnight. Make sure any plastic or rubber is removed. Then blast any passage ways you find with carb spray and then compressed air.

The Berryman Chem did used to come with a little bucket and around $25.

What are you powering with this?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

If they have sat for a while I’d go by an auto parts stir and pick up a gallon can of carb cleaner , strip them down as far as you can and let em sit overnight. Make sure any plastic or rubber is removed. Then blast any passage ways you find with carb spray and then compressed air.

The Berryman Chem </font id=“red”> did used to come with a little bucket and around $25.

What are you powering with this?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I believe that’s the same parts cleaner bath I use. If so, yes, it comes with a basket and it about $10 cheaper at Walmart than it is at Auto Zone. It does do a great job cleaning carbs. I wse it for lawnmower carbs all the time.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

Plan is to yank the carbs tonight and soak them in Chem Dip, then start at square 1 on the Mikuni manual.

The motor is in my A Mod race car.

I’ve reworked the cockpit and added wings.

I want to get it tuned and ready for our first event of the season coming up Feb 19th in Darlington.

just dayum

Very nice Too Busy . I had a cheap cart which I put 2 snowmobile engines on but I only run it on the country roads . After 85 it would get , well a wild ride , very uncontrollable . It didn’t have the suspension you have and I never got it wide open because of the handling problem . 150mph must be a thrill , good luck on your carbs .

Being a snowmobile engine, it might have to have the temp lowered, try packing them carbs with ice, HA HA. Hope you get the problem worked out! I would like to see that thing run. Good luck and be safe!!!

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

just dayum

What he said [:0]

I can’t get the (**() thing running consistently. yesterday it was idling happy. Today it wouldn’t start.
Finally got it started and had it idling about 2000 rpm. Revved it to full throttle and it bogged some, took it back to idle, it shut off and wouldn’t start again.

Frustrating. Truly frustrating.

high idle usually means the motor is running lean. that could be a clogged jet, but that also could be a leaking gasket. have you been reusing the same gaskets when reinstalling the carbs?

Carbs have rubber boots. Float bowls have O-rings. Only gasket is up top above the needle.

I had turned the idle screw up hoping to keep it running long enough for me to start to tune. No luck.

Now it’s sitting with a worn out starter gear. I get to try to figure out what starter motor this is so I can chase down a replacement.

you can usually see if the boots are leaking by spraying carb cleaner around them while the motor is running, but be sure to have fire extinguisher near you.

i wish you were closer, id like to come help you out and check that thing out.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

you can usually see if the boots are leaking by spraying carb cleaner around them while the motor is running, but be sure to have fire extinguisher near you.

i wish you were closer, id like to come help you out and check that thing out.

I have a trailer and am willing to show up at your place.