Ashley River Cleanup 2015 (Pics Added)

Hello friends,

On behalf of the Summerville Saltwater Anglers, I’d like to ask for your help in a conservation effort we began last year. The club concentrates its community service on the Ashley and last year we decided to try to clean up the upper Ashley. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, we were very successful - at least in the amount of trash removed. There is much more to get, and we would like your help. If you live in the Summerville or Oakbrook area this is a very rewarding way to make a real difference in community service. This is a project that is near and dear to me and also to SSWA and the Town of Summerville.

For more information, please visit http://summervillesaltwateranglers.com/ashley-river-cleanup/
Please make sure to sign up with the link provided on the page so we have an approximate count

FYI - That Saturday will be a HUGE tide (+7.2 at 11AM), so fishing will be crappy anyway! Might as well come on out :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,
-Dave (Optiker) and SSWA

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Bump

Bump. Cleanup is Saturday. Come on out. Free coffee, donuts and lunch provided. Make a difference in your community!

9AM Jessen Landing. Bring your boat, and a long pole with a net.

Thanks!

The event went perfectly. We removed 118 bags of trash among “other” items such as tires, grocery cart, baby carriage, etc. I’m whipped!

Many thanks to our supporters:

The active and conservation oriented membership of Summerville Saltwater Anglers
Robert Ford (bugsmunny) and Ray Philyaw (BOSN), my committee members for this project
Carolyn Tomlinson from Keep Dorchester County Beautiful
Howard Bridgman and Ashley Scenic River Advisory Council
Bob Jackson, Oakbrook Councilman for the Town of Summerville
Summerville Mayor Bill Collins
Fort Dorchester National Honor Society (my son Jacob is president - proud Dad here)
Summerville High School Film Crew (Bailey Seyller)
Billy Condon from Triangle Char and Bar on Dorchester Road for donating box lunches (they were AWESOME) - Great place, go there.

Folks, the sad part is that there is MUCH more trash to get. I’d encourage other groups to help tackle this project. It will take a larger effort to truly clean up this historically significant part of Charleston. I believe that we have the formula for how to be successful in removing trash and if you contact me I will be happy to share it with you.

We even had a family (a CF.com’er) come all the way from Spartanberg to join us. We really appreciate it Tom and family you are awesome!

A day well spent, Dave. Ethan’s friend who came with us said it was one of the better Saturdays he has had in quite awhile. He even helped clean the boat after, which if you’ve ever done a cleanup says A LOT! My Skiff looked like a garbage barge!

You nailed it, though. We need more boats and more backs to tackle the problem as it only seems to be getting worse. Its a solvable issue, though, and it will get solved. We just have to stay after it.

Thanks for lining things up!

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

That sounds like a great project and good on yall:sunglasses: I hate slobs.

I had a friend say to me once that if our water ever cleared up like south Florida or the Bahamas, we’d be real dang embarrassed at all the trash we could see on the bottom, and he’s right. If you can take it with you, you can bring it home, and it never hurts to pick up someone else’s either.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I agree Larry. What we picked up all floats. Bottles, balls, bags, etc. Hard to imagine what else might be on bottom, but of course it probably hasn’t strayed too far from where it was dumped, whereas the floating stuff gets everywhere.

quote:
Hard to imagine what else might be on bottom, but of course it probably hasn't strayed too far from where it was dumped,

I’ve seen shrimp boats hoist blown 12 cylinder diesel engine blocks out and drop them over. Many outboards, seen my Daddy throw 2 outboards off boats he wasn’t happy with. One of them mine. Black muddy water…gone… I think not a good idea.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I, personally, think the majority of the problem is runoff related. Things that get thrown and washed into feeder creeks, most of which are running through urban Summerville, that end up in the Upper Ashley. A small percentage is boaters/user generated. If you are on that river after a god rain there is leaves, limbs, branches - and trash, all washing in. Unique to that river as far as Charleston’s major rivers are concerned. I don’t know if the upper Edisto or other rivers see it as much.

And there’s some culture involved, too, I believe. People think that that is just the way it is. It doesn’t have to be IMO.

Vinman
90 HP Honda

Is that the elusive Vinman posting?

Good on you guys for the river cleanup.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Watch it pal! Next time we fish together I’ll take you on the Ashley. That’ll teach ya to get lippy young man!

Actually, you’d love it D. I know Karen would. VERY beautiful river.

I’m the black sea bass of posters, DF. VERY rare.

Vinman
90 HP Honda

Here are some pics from the day. They are in reverse chronological order.
It’s hard to be satisfied after doing all this good work. I made a sweep down river to get some pics just before finishing time and there was a LOT of trash still easily visible. I went from being really pleased to being frustrated. I’m still really pleased for what we accomplished, it’s just going to take a bigger effort. We would have to do this for a week straight to really clean the river IMO.

[IMG]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc517/SSWAonline/Ashley%20River%20Cleanup%202015/P1010599.jpg[/IM

Optiker - I totally missed this thread…next time y’all do this, let me know and I’ll get the LKA involved to help out!

-Lewis

Lowcountry Kayak Anglers - http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com

http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

That’s exactly how we felt, Dave.

But we did something. And we’ll keep doing something. And hopefully one day we’ll look back and wonder why we used to have to do it.

I think that will happen. Rather certain of it.

Vinman
90 HP Honda

Congrats !! Job well done.

Stonoman

Hopefully the next time y’all do this I can make it down. My scow should be able to haul some trash and I’ll get Connor and some CofC kids to help.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Great work and thanks to Dave and SSWA!

This is awesome! We can complain and often do all day, but going out and doing things like this are what will make a difference. It would be cool if other fishing clubs followed your lead.

Dorchester County weighed the trash we removed. After subtracting the weight of the dumpster: 3.2 tons

Hats off to your team. Thank you and all the other clean up squad for your effort.Do not be discouraged at least your crew gave a dang about it. Every little bit helps.I hope to be able to assist next time,maybe I could bring my cooker and have some eats for the hard working crew. Many a day I have been out on the water and brought back much more trash than we had in my boat.Most of my fishing partners know that the net is not only for the fish. Thanks again for the time and energy that was put into the event and the organization of it.