Aug 21-22 Report: hot, slow, fun August days

Spent two hot, late August days fishing the Edisto area.

Mon, Aug 21 went to the Edisto 60 to fish 85 degree waters. Was looking for Cobia and Spades. Anchored at my usual Spade spot, and observed them breaching, but not biting. Air temp was mid-90s, and may have been the hottest day I’ve spent fishing in a dozen years.

Wound up catching a dozen ringtails and what I’ve been told is a yellow cheek wrasse. Guy had some nasty teeth, and I’m glad he didn’t tear my finger off.

On the way out we caught some pinfish at the 40, and coming back in we stopped at the spot I call “Camel”, which is a well trafficked area off the beach surrounded by two mounds rising six feet from the waves. We caught one mature Sharpnose and a bunch of juveniles, which reminded me of the exact day last year when I caught a dozen juvie Sharpnose in the same spot in about an hour.

Next day, August 22 we fished the Breakers targeting Tarpon. We moved around between the green cans and the breakers, and caught a dozen whiting, about 20 foot, foot and half Sharpies , a 5 foot blacktip on a balloon, and a three foot Bonnethead that was the highlight of the day. Water temp was 85.3.

Learned a valuable lesson today; I threw the cast net trying to snag a few of the billion mullet that started running the beach. Unfortunately, I netted three jelly fish that splintered in my castnet and left me smarting for thirty minutes. Note to self; in August, when throwing a net, wear long sleeves and gloves.

bonnethead 082223

2 Likes

Thanks for your report!

If you throw a cast net like me, with your teeth, be happy you didn’t get those tentacles in your mouth, and on your face!!

1 Like

Maybe not exactly what you wished for but a day on the water catching something is never bad. My hats off to you for braving the heat.