August 9 Report: Juvie Cobia at the 60

Took a run out to the 60 on a pleasant 1x9 August day.

The last couple trips out we spotted Spades, but couldn’t get them to bite. This time we brought some “eatin shrimp” to entice them. We also had squid.

The day started off with us catching a juvenile Cobia; maybe two feet long. I thought it was a Remora at first, but on closer inspection the brown and white stripes and that catfish mouth was a dead give away. Over the course of the day we caught two more, about the same size 26 inches. After pics, it was back in the drink to (hopefully) see them again when they get bigger.

We hooked 6 Spades, five of which busted our tackle. Note to self: tie better knots, use stronger leaders. The one we brought into the boat was 20 inches, and made a for a nice dinner.

Plenty of usual suspects were to be had; ringtail porgies and kelp bass. We also caught a genuine Remora that was also about two feet long.

As we were getting ready to leave I spotted a fluorescent green spot near the boat. Thinking it was a Mahi, I cast towards it, and my line began to run. I reeled it in, and realized I had hooked a trolling lure. We brought it into the boat only to realize a King Mackerel was still attached to it. While we were deciding how to tie the line down the fish took off and nearly sliced my buddies’ finger off. Fortunately we had a first aid kit on the boat. A crazy way to end an exciting day.

A note to the kids who took their alumacraft Jon boat out to troll the 60 using a patio umbrella for shade; I want you on my side when the ■■■■ hits the fan.

2 Likes

Strange way to catch a King. Sounds like a fun day.

Wow man what a day!
At least you brought home some dinner. that’s key

1 Like

Great report, keep 'em coming. A 2 foot Cobia is still a great catch, especially the middle of August, surprised no AJ or Barracuda hot as it is.

That King hanging around there says there are more there too. Maybe trolling is in the future too?

Also, 6 Spades hooked in the 20 inch range is a great day too. Super day on the water for sure.

Edit: Forgot to comment on your buddy’s finger. Ya’ll gained a new respect for the fast and furious run of the King Mackerel, that is the reason I chased only Kings for the last 10 years of my offshore fishing days.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I saw a couple of , small,Cobia, cruising the end of the pier, with a huge Ray, last evening?

I’ve never seen them that close in before.

I love everything about this report

1 Like

Note: Since this thread is in the Edisto forum, assuming you were at the Edisto 60, not Charleston?

I did hear of some Cobia caught at the Charleston 60 last year I believe?

That sounds very promising, Cobia do travel with Rays for sure.

Cobia are everywhere between 60’ and 90’ right now, most are shorts

Live bait out back on a flatline while bottom fishing will get kings, aj’s, cudas, sharks, and the occasional cobe

1 Like

On my bucket list to catch.