Bahamas trip

Planning on taking a trip from W Palm in late April, early May to Bahamas in my 29ft Cobia for some fishing- any tips from anyone who has done the trip.
Thanks

I’d like some information my self .

Where are you planning to go in The Bahamas? I’m heading to Elbow Cay in early May. I’ll leave from Fort Pierce and clear customs at Spanish Cay, then head to Sea Spray Marina on Elbow.

Capt. Dick Vance
Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
Twin Yamaha 150’s
843-209-1630

Was planning on leaving West Palm for West End 4/28, then renting a house with a dock for a week and fish every day- never made the trip and just now in planning stages. How far from Ft Pierce to Spanish Cay- is this a better trip? Sounds like you’ve done this before.
Thanks

This is a dream trip of mine, in fact I am going to try and do it this summer in my 258 if my wife can get time off of work. If not I am going to rally the boys for a trip.

Slomocean,
The trip from West Palm to West End is 54 nautical miles. If you decide to go there, I would recommend staying at Blue Marlin Cove if staying with the wives. They have a pool and full kitchens. If making a trip with the boys, Bootle Bay right next door will do.

I have made the trip eight times to The Bahamas, staying one to three months each time. I prefer going to the Abacos, as more things to do there if the wind kicks up and keeps me from fishing offshore. It is 190 nm from Fort Pierce. It takes me about 7-8 hours to make the trip. Spanish Cay is 150 nm from Fort Pierce. Elbow Cay is 190 nm. The offshore fishing there is great in May. Last year, my wife and I left the dock at 9:00 am, caught two blue marlin, and made it to Cracker P’s by 12:30 pm for lunch. Plenty of dolphin there, too. The houses there are reasonable. I can rent a house there for a month what it costs for a week here in SC. Plus I can be in 1000 feet of water one mile offshore. Check out Steve Dodge’s cruising guide to the Abacos. It has all the info you need for the trip.

Feel free to give me a call if you have questions. I’ve made my reservations for my house and golf cart for Elbow Cay for our trip this year. I take a freezer with my bait and food with us. You won’t regret taking the trip. Life is short. Live it while you can.

Capt. Dick Vance
Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
Twin Yamaha 150’s
843-209-1630

Slomocean,
The trip from West Palm to West End is 54 nautical miles. If you decide to go there, I would recommend staying at Blue Marlin Cove if staying with the wives. They have a pool and full kitchens. If making a trip with the boys, Bootle Bay right next door will do.

I have made the trip eight times to The Bahamas, staying one to three months each time. I prefer going to the Abacos, as more things to do there if the wind kicks up and keeps me from fishing offshore. It is 190 nm from Fort Pierce. It takes me about 7-8 hours to make the trip. Spanish Cay is 150 nm from Fort Pierce. Elbow Cay is 190 nm. The offshore fishing there is great in May. Last year, my wife and I left the dock at 9:00 am, caught two blue marlin, and made it to Cracker P’s by 12:30 pm for lunch. Plenty of dolphin there, too. The houses there are reasonable. I can rent a house there for a month what it costs for a week here in SC. Plus I can be in 1000 feet of water one mile offshore. Check out Steve Dodge’s cruising guide to the Abacos. It has all the info you need for the trip.

Feel free to give me a call if you have questions. I’ve made my reservations for my house and golf cart for Elbow Cay for our trip this year. I take a freezer with my bait and food with us. You won’t regret taking the trip. Life is short. Live it while you can.

Capt. Dick Vance
Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
Twin Yamaha 150’s
843-209-1630

no fishing in Bahama waters until you clear customs in the Bahamas- they WILL hurt your wallet and possible jail time

Use the search feature. I posted a ton of information on this a couple of years ago. I’ve stayed at BMC as HotShot suggested, but honestly, I prefer “Old Bahama Bay”. It’s closer to better fishing grounds, a little more going on, nicer grounds, super nice rooms, and that’s where customs is.

I go a few times a year fishing and spearing, I sent you a pm.

Really appreciate all the info

What’s the gasoline situation there? I’ve heard from some it was hard to come by, any truth?

Pioneer 222SF

I’ve never had a problem getting gas or diesel. Sometimes, one marina might be out of fuel, but nearby marinas will have it.

Capt. Dick Vance
Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
Twin Yamaha 150’s
843-209-1630

We made our first trip this past may in a 2200 cc hydrasports. Left from Jupiter inlet and went to west end to clear customs then stayed in Lucaya about 20 miles south. Jupiter inlet was very convenient and was right about 55 nm to west end. Awesome trip and thinking about going back this spring. Never had a problem with gas and it was memorial day weekend so it was a ton of people there which is why we could not stay in west end. For fishing I would stay up towards west end or make the longer trip to the abacos or up towards grand cay and walkers. We caught a few dolphin but didn’t spend much time fishing. The book I used for reference was “The Cruising Guide to the Bahamas.” Used all of the GPS coordinates from there and had no problems. Have a good trip.

We are making the crossing May 11th heading to Spanish for customs. Then Green Turtle and Elbow. Feel free to message me if your dates line up an you want someone to follow.

2660 Sailfish (sold)

There is years of reading on this topic on the hull truth. There is a dedicated yearly Bimini and a separate Abacos thread. You can go back and read the prior years of both and absorb all you need to know. Buy the Dodges cruising guide and read up if your plan include destinations beyond Bimini or West End.

I have done this trip several times to Elbow Cay it is awesome. Plenty of good advice here but wanted to add that you should be flexible on the day you depart the US and the day you return, the weather can make the trip miserable especially an East wind > 15 knots. Having your boat is the BEST way to enjoy the Abacos you can fish, snorkel, explore the Cays and hit their restaurants/bars. Oh one more thing get two spares of everything that might break on your trailer and don’t launch your boat until the trailer has cooled down and rinse with fresh water before you leave - be safe!

Game Time

Where do you rent your house from? I can’t find any for less than $2,000-$2500/Week.

quote:
Originally posted by Hot Shot

Slomocean,

Capt. Dick Vance
Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
Twin Yamaha 150’s
843-209-1630

290 Sailfish “GameChanger”
x2 300 Yamaha’s

I just spent 2 weeks in Stuart and I caution you to watch the weather window. Planning on going on a certain date may not be possible due to conditions. Our first 3 days we had 7 foot seas 5 seconds apart that would be no fun to fish much less try and travel 45 miles on.

World Cat 266SC
Scout 15.5

The later you go, the better the weather. Heading over for 2 weeks in July. Not the best fishing time but somebody is crossing over all the time in June-July. Saturday’s especially. Elbow s awesome but you’ve got to plan about 6 months out.

2016 Southport 272 w/ Yam. 200’s
2016 Sea Hunt Ultra 225 w/Yam. 200 (sold)
2008 Carolina Skiff 17DLX w/2015 Yam. 70