Best way to cook mullet?

Been eating these horse mullet for a while and they are delicious but I’m having a hard time coming up with ways to cook them for my family that are interesting. Anyone got any tips or recipes? Tried a Cajun dry rub on a few big menhaden filets but it didn’t taste as good as I hoped. Thinking of trying it on mullet maybe over rice or pasta.

Get outta here.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Get outta here.

lol geez

No salt, no fun.

Not even a good troll

This thread may or may not be for real but…

I do like grilled mullet. Get several larger ones and leave the scales on and cut off the head. Cut down either side of the backbone and leave the belly skin intact. Clean off anything you don’t want to eat.

Load up the charcoal grill and get it real, real hot.

Put butter, salt, and pepper on the mullet and when the grill is really hot put the mullet on the grill skin side down and close the lid. It will smoke like crazy and that is good. After a few minutes open it up and remove the mullet. The skin will be burned black. Take a fork and eat the meat off the skin, the burnt skin is a perfect plate.

Delicious believe it or not. You can eat more mullet than you thought.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Yamaha 90
Tournament 225 OX66 225

quote:
Originally posted by millacd

Not even a good troll

What you said … the Manhaden gave it away.

Fresh cleaned horse mullet out of brackish water deep fried is not so bad. I wouldn’t ruin good rice or pasta with it though.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Years ago when I lived in St Augustine, me and buddy built a smoker out of an old refrigerator. We cleaned the mullet like Doug described, brushed with a little datil pepper sauce and smoked them. Datil pepper sauce makes everything better.

His wife finally made him get rid of the smoker. Every time we smoked mullet he would come home drunk and frisky which didn’t really excite her since they already had 5 kids.

quote:
His wife finally made him get rid of the smoker. Every time we smoked mullet he would come home drunk and frisky which didn’t really excite her since they already had 5 kids.

That sounds like what happens after an oyster roast too :smiley:

I know on the west coast of FL there are smoked mullet stands on every street corner. I ate a many mullet as a kid, but not since. Never liked them much.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

When you wake up Sunday Morning with the worst hang over you’ve had since last Sunday morning. You don’t have any money because you spent it all on the semi-beautiful lady from Ohio. However, she left with that long-haired hippie dude that can play guitar.

There’s only one thing to do, grab your net and catch some mullet. Fry em real nice and crisp. Make a pot of grits. Pop open a Busch beer and life just got better. Mullet is better than nothing. That was a long time ago.

WallyB has game.

WallyB, just for you my man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA&list=RDED5s1-Fe9FA

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Yamaha 90
Tournament 225 OX66 225

Just boil them whole for a nice delicate fish stock. :wink:

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

When I was a kid we used to catch hundreds of pounds of them and sell them for a nickel a pound. I never understood why anybody would even pay a nickel a pound.

When I catch them now, it’s for bait, for a good fish to eat:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Boil large pot of water. Add Salt pepper and onion and bring to a boil. At rolling boil just drop the mullet in. At this point fire up the domino’s app and order a pizza. When the pizza tracker says out for delivery open the back door and throw the whole pot in the back yard. Best way I’ve ever had it.

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

^^^ This! Literally just spit water at my laptop!

j

17 Malibu CC
88 'rude

Call me crazy but I like smoked horse mullet. Always have

“mr keys”

quote:
Originally posted by WallyB

Years ago when I lived in St Augustine, me and buddy built a smoker out of an old refrigerator. We cleaned the mullet like Doug described, brushed with a little datil pepper sauce and smoked them. Datil pepper sauce makes everything better.

Have a couple datil bushes at the house and they are some tasty peppers

Mine aren’t doing good. Put them in pots since the rabbits or something ate them last year. Think it is the potting soil I used.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:

That sounds like what happens after an oyster roast too :smiley:

I know on the west coast of FL there are smoked mullet stands on every street corner. I ate a many mullet as a kid, but not since. Never liked them much.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Down in the Caribbean, particularly in the southern Caribe, fried flying fish sandwiches are sold out of the street carts as well. Doused with some homemade orange scotch bonnet hot sauce, they’re awesome.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

quote:
Down in the Caribbean, particularly in the southern Caribe, fried flying fish sandwiches are sold out of the street carts as well. Doused with some homemade orange scotch bonnet hot sauce, they're awesome.

Yes, they are great! Much better than mullet :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper