BIG QUESTION

Come on up, I’ll be working nights at the Emergency Ops Center. May have to figure out what to do about Connor.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Good lookin out Rdestripe…thanks.

Revised storm tracks do NOT look good for the coast. You folks down there need to start doing some planning just in case.

If other people are depending on our decisions for their safety, then we should plan for the worst case. Some of the spagetti models show a major hurricaine coming right up Calabougie Sound. Might not happen - but it might.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

I started generator yesterday and found a problem. Oil light sensor light keeps shutting off engine with engine full of oil. Manufacturer is over-nighting a part and if it happens again told me how to disconnect the sensor.
Everyone better be prepared. If this thing targets us, we aren’t gonna have a lot of time.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Set NOAA’s Storm Surge Inundation map to “Cat 5” to see what little “high ground” there is in our coastal counties. This is instructive if you think you can “ride out” a major hurricaine if you live near the coast.

If this storm makes a westward turn, you need to have “inland vacation plans” in place.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Alright upstate people, if we have to git out I will bring all the steak from my deep freezer and we can have a party. Just have to house me and a wife and a baby-

The Governor is having a conference call with all concerned at 9:00 this morning. A decision regarding coastal evacuation should follow soon after.

As everyone else has been saying, be prepared for the worst. Also, know where your closest National Guard Armory is and find the phone number for them. The National Guard has been put on alert as of yesterday, but have not been activated. If things get really bad, and the Guard gets activated, we will be out assisting local law enforcement, as well as fire and medical. We will be in direct contact with local Emergency Ops Centers as well as DNR, Police, etc. So we will be around to help, but from personal experience of the floods last year, please be proactive and not reactive. Many of our National Guard Soldiers were put in hairy situations because of a few people who didn’t want to leave until it was way too late. But even so, if we can get to you, we will. For those who do evacuate, its obvious, but I’ll say it anyways, take with you whatever you don’t want stolen. Looters were bad during the flood in some areas and will take advantage of any situation they can. Now is the time to stock up, and start up those generators and chain saws.

Struggling with decision on my end…

New-to-me house survived Hugo, and the flood. New windows are my only concern…and my business. I certainly can’t pack up all of my stuff to keep from looters, so I may be resigned to staying home and defending the castle.

How do you secure plywood to bricks? lol

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

New-to-me house survived Hugo, and the flood. New windows are my only concern…and my business. I certainly can’t pack up all of my stuff to keep from looters, so I may be resigned to staying home and defending the castle.

Wadmalaw native

Tapcons, strong and efficient yet removable. Once removed will only leave a 3/16th sized hole in the brick which can easily be filled with silicone if necessary.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tapcon-1-4-in-x-2-3-4-in-Polymer-Plated-Steel-Hex-Washer-Head-Indoor-Outdoor-Concrete-Anchors-75-Pack-24330/100098197

Fishing Nerd

“you win some, you lose some…but nothing beats getting some!”

leadenwahboy, cut some plywood larger than the windows so that it will extend over and onto the bricks! Drill into the mortar joint between the bricks and secure with masonry screws long enough to go at least 1 1/2 in into the joint! Make sure you mark the plywood top and bottom and which window it belongs to for the next time you need them! Makes it easy to line up the already drilled holes next time:wink: Also get some large flat washers so you don’t pull the screw heads through the plywood!

Used to work at a local NOAA office. There was a running fight between National Weather Service/Hurricane Center guys and the Navy. NHC maintained that the best the models would do was about 3 days. After that the uncertainties in the models blew up and the predictions were nearly meaningless. The Navy said, they didn’t care. That it took longer to get a ship out of port than 3 days. They wanted all the info they could get and wanted 5 day model runs. NHC finally agreed and started putting out 5 day model run predictions. Looking at the uncertainties in some of the graphics, it does not appear to me (I’m no expert) that the models are any better than the were 5 years ago. Ergo, I don’t think the models are useful until we’re inside that 3 day window.

Short version. There’s no telling where this thing is going or how strong it will be until inside 3 days. If it wanders away from the Florida coast, it will get good warm water and no land/wind friction and can strengthen a lot. If it wanders a little closer to the Florida coast that would tend to slow wind speeds. A relatively small difference in path could make a huge difference in the storm by the time it gets to SC.

Shorter version. Pay attention to Matthew.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:

Wadmalaw native

For Hugo (was a cat 3 not long before land fall), we ran to Cameron (a few miles north of Orangeburg). That was no where near far enough. It hammered Cameron, up through Rock Hill, and beat the crap out of Charlotte.

We put plywood up on the windows and the house did fine. We got lucky and all the trees that came down missed the house.

If the contents of your house are what your’re concerned about, I urge you to board up and run if this thing is a 3 or larger.

Were you around for Hugo? This thing could be that strong when it lands.

quote:
Were you around for Hugo? This thing could be that strong when it lands

I was, and couldn’t believe the damage [:0] The only thing I can compare it too is a war zone in Vietnam. If I lived on the coast I’d be boarding up the house and making plans to get the hell out of there! If you haven’t been in a storm like this, you can’t even imagine it’s strength. We live 30 miles inland and are making all preparations for staying in place, but have an exit plan too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Hugo completely redsigned the landscape at our place when I was a kid. I couldn’t even recognize some of the same areas I’d been in the week before in the woods. That was in Lone star, which is up on the very northern end of lake Marion. If this storm is any where near that strength, I’d get the heck out of dodge if I lived anywhere near the coast.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

When Hugo came ashore and moved inland, Charlotte wasn’t far enough inland to run. It trashed Charlotte too. The problem is, these things weeble and wobble and we don’t know where the next weeble will go. Hugo was predicted to make a direct hit on Savannah, and 2 hours before landfall it wobbled and hit Charleston instead. Savannah still got a whipping, but nothing like Charleston did.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

When Hugo came ashore and moved inland, Charlotte wasn’t far enough inland to run. It trashed Charlotte too. The problem is, these things weeble and wobble and we don’t know where the next weeble will go. Hugo was predicted to make a direct hit on Savannah, and 2 hours before landfall it wobbled and hit Charleston instead. Savannah still got a whipping, but nothing like Charleston did.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

It spawned tornadoes way inland. Columbia took a pretty good beating, then as you said, right up through Charlotte.

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:

Wadmalaw native

For Hugo (was a cat 3 not long before land fall), we ran to Cameron (a few miles north of Orangeburg). That was no where near far enough. It hammered Cameron, up through Rock Hill, and beat the crap out of Charlotte.

We put plywood up on the windows and the house did fine. We got lucky and all the trees that came down missed the house.

If the contents of your house are what your’re concerned about, I urge you to board up and run if this thing is a 3 or larger.

I’m worried about looters. I have lots of stuff, and a firearms business. Loading my valuables would take a Uhaul truck. I cannot risk that. I will be staying home just like my father did in Hugo. The wife and kids will leave and me and the boys will defend the castle.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:

Wadmalaw native

I’m worried about looters. I have lots of stuff, and a firearms business. Loading my valuables would take a Uhaul truck. I cannot risk that. I will be staying home just like my father did in Hugo. The wife and kids will leave and me and the boys will defend the castle.

Wadmalaw native

<