BIG QUESTION

Had to take care of the boat like the wife and children, that’s my kind of man!

{quote]If everyone sticks around to the last minute and suddenly we go from a cat 2 to a cat 3, it might be too late to evacuate.
[/quote]

This is part of the problem with natural disasters. Folks in an area of the Pee Dee were encouraged to leave due to expected flooding. Many refused to and then were completely surrounded with water. The result was and still is a rescue that will cost thousands of dollars and risk lives. Folks on Daufuskie Island were encouraged to leave and nearly 100 opted not to. After the last ferry had left, some had a change of heart but it was too late as high winds made it unsafe to return. As it turns out, they lucked out and were not hit as hard as they might have been but, what if it had turned into a Cat 3 or 4 and hit them dead center? It is the right of every man and woman to stay or go but, staying often results in expensive and dangerous rescues.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

{quote] what if it had turned into a Cat 3 or 4 and hit them dead center

You talk of the hurricane as if it were a tornado. It doesn’t just jump up to a cat 4 while it’s dragging land.

People calculated their risk and stayed or left. Period. Who cares about shaming either way. Quit with the what ifs.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

I was more freaked out in the MRI machine I just spent 45 minutes in then anytime during the hurricane that almost cost me my life
m

MRI’s are cool. I’ve fell asleep twice in one. If I’m going to have to lay still for that long might as well take advantage of it.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
People calculated their risk and stayed or left. Period. Who cares about shaming either way. Quit with the what ifs.

I “what ifed” because I see the other side of when men and women have to risk THEIR safety to rescue someone else that made the decision not to leave. Certainly their choice but, it often puts others at risk later…unnecessarily.

You are are obviously feeling a little sensitive, not sure how you got “shaming” out of my post.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom
quote:

I “what ifed” because I see the other side of when men and women have to risk THEIR safety to rescue someone else that made the decision not to leave. Certainly their choice but, it often puts others at risk later…unnecessarily.

You are are obviously feeling a little sensitive, not sure how you got “shaming” out of my post.

Nice edit. No shaming at all.

The first responders are not going out in the middle of the hurricane to rescue anyone. That was put out over and over. If something happens they will respond after it is safe(er) for them to. The what ifs from everyone who left are just ridiculous. It is like they would have rather been able to say “I told you so” if it leveled the area.

They might not be going out in the hurricane, but maybe they would like to be evacuating with their own families. And there are plenty of dangers after a hurricane.

Another storm brewing down south. Skinnee you better start planning your evacuation.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

quote:
Nice edit. No shaming at all.

WHERE, where is any “shaming”? Man you are sensitive. And if you don’t think lives are ever risked to rescue someone after a storm, you have no idea what you are talking about. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree as you obviously can’t stand a differing viewpoint. Sorry if you feel shamed.

quote:

Another storm brewing down south. Skinnee you better start planning your evacuation.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

and you had better go ahead and plan on ignoring the governor, the mayor, the police chief, national weather service, Rob fowler, Jim cantore and all of the other experts since you know better than them!!! That's a mighty big chip you have on that shoulder!
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

and you had better go ahead and plan on ignoring the governor, the mayor, the police chief, national weather service, Rob fowler, Jim cantore and all of the other experts since you know better than them!!! That's a mighty big chip you have on that shoulder!
I was talking to some folks at work today about the evacuate/non evacuate decisions. I'm fairly certain there's a significant amount of hard headed Billy-badasses in this state that wouldn't leave if it was a Cat 5 bearing down on Charleston. It's just the mentality.

Personally, Cat 1 I’m out. I don’t even have the desire to hang out without power for that long just to be able to tell people I rode out a hurricane.

Which is why you prepare to lose power. Cat 5 I’m out.