BIG QUESTION

Again, that’s not apples to apples… MOST people ARE evacuated during hurricanes. And actually hurricane landfall events are probably only a couple days a year.

You statement is equivalent to saying that driving your car is more dangerous than playing russian roulette because more people die in car accidents each year. We all know that if you spent the rest of your day playing russian roulette that you would be dead by the end of the day.

Russian Roulette probably not the right analogy.

In a Hurricane event, sure, a lot of variables are out of our control. BUT…a lot ARE in our control.

New hurricane windows, boarded up, brick house that survived Hugo, all trees removed from landscape, house facing into the storm, generator, supplies, etc…I mean, all of the variables that I can control, were controlled.

That would be like playing russian roulette with a kevlar helmet on…

Do I still get evacushamed?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

You wouldn’t do that either!!! The problem with hurricanes is that they are unpredictable and you have no way to “test” your preparations without subjecting them to the actual hurricane…

Charleston got lucky that the storm went to Cat 1 instead of Cat 3. And in a Cat 4\5 even your preparations may or may not prepare you fully. Your front door could blow in. The neighbor’s house could catch on fire, etc…

This video is pretty cool…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqfExHpvLRY

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

You wouldn’t do that either!!! The problem with hurricanes is that they are unpredictable and you have no way to “test” your preparations without subjecting them to the actual hurricane…

Charleston got lucky that the storm went to Cat 1 instead of Cat 3. And in a Cat 4\5 even your preparations may or may not prepare you fully. Your front door could blow in. The neighbor’s house could catch on fire, etc…

This video is pretty cool…

Right! That’s why that option of leaving is there as well. If **** gets bad, you get out.

If it was a 3, I would still have stayed, but wife and kid would have been GONE!

Wadmalaw native

quote:

Right! That’s why that option of leaving is there as well. If **** gets bad, you get out.

If it was a 3, I would still have stayed, but wife and kid would have been GONE!

Therein lies the problem... If everyone sticks around to the last minute and suddenly we go from a cat 2 to a cat 3, it might be too late to evacuate. This plan relies on the hurricane exhibiting steady and predictable behavior. That's really the issue as I see it. Our information is only so good...

I keep hearing that we need to 526 extension, because we can’t evacuate John’s Island without it, yet we can wait to the last minute to evacuate if we want. These seem mutually exclusive…

We were blessed in Charleston. Edisto beach isn’t too far from here and I heard they got it pretty bad. We have very little data on how hurricanes will effect Charleston and we were lucky to skip the bad stuff this go around.

LOL…

Most of the population is not prepared. They evacuate.

Those that are prepared, stay.

If it gets bad, they leave.

At that point, roads are not clogged. Your “problem” doesn’t exist to an extent that can be problematic.

526 isn’t needed for evacuation. It’s needed for everyday life. Charleston life is not about 2.5 hours of traffic EACH DAY just to work off of the island you’ve called home for 30 year, nor is it fair.

Wadmalaw native

Ha, I just noticed that you put this same picture up on the facebooks like 10 minutes before I put it here!!! Sorry, that was coincidence believe it or not!

quote:

Ha, I just noticed that you put this same picture up on the facebooks like 10 minutes before I put it here!!! Sorry, that was coincidence believe it or not!

I talked to Gregg and another officer about Edisto…they were amazed at how bad it really was. Sad to see it, but they’ll rebuild soon enough bigger and better!

Wadmalaw native

How can you “prepare” to wait out a hurricane and be sure? Get elevated and have a house than can withstand 130 mph winds and not flood. A basement in case you have an F2+ tornado. But how do you know which to utilize? You weren’t prepared. You just got to a comfortable level of risk, and then sat and hoped, maybe prayed.

But it sounds cooler to say you prepped and was ready.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

How can you “prepare” to wait out a hurricane and be sure? Get elevated and have a house than can withstand 130 mph winds and not flood. A basement in case you have an F2+ tornado. But how do you know which to utilize? You weren’t prepared. You just got to a comfortable level of risk, and then sat and hoped, maybe prayed.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

If you’d have seen previous posts, you would know why I can’t leave…but, alas, I’m left to defend my choices by the evacushamers.

But most things in life are all about evaluating risk and making decisions, right? That’s called ADULTING.

Wadmalaw native

Lot elevation, lot location, home construction, good preparation…these cover up to Cat3 or maybe Cat4. Recalling Hugo, all sorts of marginal and dumpy old houses survived those winds.

Tornadoes, though. That’s what worries me. That’s what turns good homes into piles of matchsticks and/or bricks.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

quote:

Again, that’s not apples to apples… MOST people ARE evacuated during hurricanes. And actually hurricane landfall events are probably only a couple days a year.

You statement is equivalent to saying that driving your car is more dangerous than playing russian roulette because more people die in car accidents each year. We all know that if you spent the rest of your day playing russian roulette that you would be dead by the end of the day.

How often do you play Russian Roulette, I never would so the chances of me dying from doing so is 0.0

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

If you don’t leave during a Cat 4 that wasn’t a surprise Cat 4, then you’re just putting first responders lives in danger. Cat 3 or below is understandable.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

OK if we weren't prepared is the only way to do so by evacuating?

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

If you don’t leave during a Cat 4 that wasn’t a surprise Cat 4, then you’re just putting first responders lives in danger. Cat 3 or below is understandable.

Cat 3 is plenty enough to knock your front door in, put a tree through your window, etc.

I was more freaked out in the MRI machine I just spent 45 minutes in then anytime during the hurricane that almost cost me my life

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Hurricane season is 4 months. It’s really longer but why split hairs.

The 3 and the 4 are right next to each other on a keyboard and I have fat fingers. That would be 1/3, lol

Wadmalaw native

Leadenwahboy, enough about the house and family. How’s the Bentz!? Did she come through OK?

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

Leadenwahboy, enough about the house and family. How’s the Bentz!? Did she come through OK?

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

Oh she’s fine, lol.

I towed her home to my house on Wednesday, and got some little stuff done, painted underside of hatches, worked on trailer a bit, then took it to Wadmalaw on Thursday.

She actually spent the storm in the shed where she was built…a friend bought the old Bentz property, and had room in the shop, so I took it to safe keeping…figured worst case she would die in the place she was born…haha!

Haven’t seen the boat since, but the building is standing, so I’m sure it’s fine.

Wadmalaw native