BIG TROUT - UDC - 10/23/12

We had a Grand Slam. Alan caught everything cause he was the only other one on the boat but me. He started out with a nice Redfish, 28" released. Had a 22" Trout plus 5 more nice keepers. And one keeper Flounder. The biggest Trout I’ve seen in a while.

All caught on live Mud Minnows.

More tomorrow.

Capt. Steve Fralin
Ugly Ducklin Charters
The Longest Established Inshore Fishing Guide at Edisto
Edisto Island, SC 29438
843-869-1580
843-908-2071
http://www.edistofishingcharters.com

Do you ever practice catch and release on the bigger trout? It’s a great feeling releasing a fish like that, so that we “can see more like that one” in the future. Congrats on the successful day. In no way am I bashing you so please don’t take it that way. Thanks for the reports.

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

I second Capt Fritz. I know you have to convince your clients to release it, but if you word it the right way, you can sway their opinion. As always I appreciate your reports, and love to see the big trout showing up. I keep a personal upper slot on Trout of 20". Everything over that gets released. And I always only keep no more than 3.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

That is definitely a big trout for the Edisto area.

Sounds like an awesome day! Those big trout are awesome. I’m not bashing you either and I understand your clients may have wanted to keep it…but I would have been better to get some pics and drop him back on the water.

Hunter P. Hames
11’ Tarpon 100
19’ Sea Fox 125 merc

This don’t keep the big trout thing is getting old. Good job on a nice fish!

Really tired of the catch and release crap. I catch fish to eat. The government has enough restrictions on the fish we catch. I dont need to see everyone on here bash someone for keeping a delicious fish. IMO I think its sort of stupid to go and catch fish just to take a picture to show off. Leave us REAL fisherman alone !

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

Cooper River man… Nobody here was bashing… just suggesting… and the reason they were “Suggesting” that a big trout like that be released is because it’s likely, make that probable, that that was a big female. Probably full of roe. It would be like going out the the grillage or the jetties and killing those big breeder reds. It just won’t go well for the future of the resource.

I always release trout over 20". thats my personal conviction, but I feel that people should know the facts, and the facts are that those big females represent more than a tastey dinner… they represent thousands of tasty dinners for thousands of fisherpeople for years to come.

I love trout, but 2 or 3 good 15-17 inch fish make a fine meal for a few people. I don’t freeze fish… especially trout as they never taste the same. The big girls get handled lightly, and put back quickly on my boat… and always will. But once again, thats just my personal conviction…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

Very nice time! Great day.

BTW anything that is a legal keeper is going in my skillet lol.

quote:
Originally posted by TrebbleTrouble

This don’t keep the big trout thing is getting old. Good job on a nice fish!

I’ll quit keeping big trout when guides quit fishing with live bait.

It was definitely not a female with roe. This entire year I have not kept more than 30 or 40 Trout, if it’s anyone’s business to start with. When a guy gets to go fishing once a year, he usually wants fish.

The bashing is why alot of captain’s won’t post here. I put my catch up to scrutiny everyday. The reason is that everyday people beg me to keep posting.

Capt. Steve Fralin
Ugly Ducklin Charters
Edisto Island, SC 29438
843-869-1580
843-908-2071

female-probably, full of roe at the end of October-highly unlikeley.

quote:
Originally posted by uglyduck

When a guy gets to go fishing once a year, he usually wants fish.

That's great and I see your point and also take people that "only fish once a year". When I explain to them the benefits of releasing bigger fish they usually understand AND AGREE with me. We must cater to a different group of clients.

You openly post your reports in 3 different places on this site. 1 of which very few people have access to posting in and replying to you. When you post in other sections you open yourself up for people to make suggestions or “bash you” as you say. If you don’t want the discussions to happen then just post in the Captains forum. Everyone will still see it. No need to repeat your report all over the place.
I guess when you post in the open forums you expect only praise and admiration but that isn’t always going to be the case around here.

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

Well, no one was bashing… If anyone was getting bashed, it was the ones who suggested that large trout be released. Those that will keep the big ones probably won’t be convinced to change their opinion. It is my hope that a handful of the lurkers might think twice before keeping a big trout. Why do you think there are so many redfish, and big ones at that, in our fishery? Upper slot limit. Above the slot, those fish are free to breed the rest of their lives. Yes, the trout are susceptible to being killed off by cold water, but the big trout around are 6+ yrs old and have survived. These are the genes we need in the gene pool to improve our trout fishery. Just because there is not a law for an upper slot does not mean that sportsmen can’t observe a self imposed slot. Something to think about…

Good lord all some of you people do is complain non stop on here

“Good things come to those who bait”

You know, Alan has been fishing with me for many years. He’s 71 years old. His wife loves Trout and Flounder. You think I’m gonna tell him he can’t keep his legal fish?

Capt. Steve Fralin
Ugly Ducklin Charters
Edisto Island, SC 29438
843-869-1580
843-908-2071

Nice trout! Nice red!

I read the title and then saw the first picture and went “holy… that’s the biggest t… oh… that’s a red fish!”

2004 Action Craft 1820
Flats Master SE

Congrats on the fish. We usually keep just what we’ll eat that day or the next, and thats only when we have the craving to enjoy fish. Other than that we release. Its our thing, not advocating one thing or another to ya’ll. I just hate freezer fish.

A question, though. The topic was started by mentioning “releasing bigger trout so they can spawn”. Does a 22" trout spawn better than a 17"? If a person decides to keep a fish, what would make one different from the other? Just curious if someone could answer that.

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

Vince, My thinking is that the larger the fish, the more eggs it will spawn, and the older the fish, the better it has been able to survive = good genetics.

The biggest thing you consistently catch UDC, is your limit on crybabies. You got a grand slam on this latest post :smiley: