Biggest Wolf spider I've seen

Many moons ago my youngest daughter and i would walk the woods “shining” spiders. Older growth woods are the best. You would be surprised at what you can find following the shiny blue eyes. Wolf spiders were always the easiest to shine. Just a fun past time. Well today I think I got to see the biggest one ever! He/She got relocated to my overgrown goldfish pond.

Funnest thing about it was the wife said if she saw it she was going to kill it. I said Ok, then that gives me open range on killing a couple of deer around here. Didn’t go over too good. But it’s a step in the right direction. Life is Good!!

Fred, I saw one crossing sandy road in Burke County Ga awhile back. Got out of truck to look closer and that thing sent shivers up my spine…Spiders creep me out big time.

NN

I think the biggest creep out on spiders for me is when your walking or riding through the woods and go through a web not knowing if the spider is on your face. Other than that I love the fact of how many bugs they eat. A wolf spider will actually eat or run off all other spiders in his area to include black widows and brown recluse. I’ll tolerate a spider over a snake.

On the bug eating thing, I’ve actually taken down my martin houses and trying to make a habitat for Dragonflies. The Old timers telling us all that martins will take care of mosquitoes is just not true. They focus on larger insects like dragonflies, grasshoppers, butterflies, Bees and Beetles. They eat less than 2% mosquitoes. On the mosquito eaters Bats and dragonflies consume more than anything else other than water critters that eat the lava. One medium sized dragonfly can eat over a 100 a day.

First time I ever heard the term dragonfly , I didn’t know what they were talking about.My pap always called them mosquito hawks.

Spiders don’t bother me. Spider webs creep me out something fierce.
I’ve had a big old banana spider beside my shed for last several years. Not this year though.

It’s been said that the fastest way to learn karate is catching a spiderweb in the face when you get out of your tent to pee at 3am.

I can vouch for that. 'Bout knocked myself out…

That’s all I knew them as growing up. Me and my cousins would use some thread from Ma Ma and tie it around them and use them as a kite. I got real good at catching them. You wiggle your fingers in front of them while slowly creeping up behind them with the other hand. The real big ones will Bite/pinch you pretty good. Her cloths line was the best place to catch em.

They come in some beautiful varieties. The big shiny green ones seem to be the hardest to catch.

Wives tale… Good luck if one lands on your fishing pole.

That’s a pretty good size wolf spider. You see a lotta big ones up in western NC. They get into our house up there occasionally. I usually try to catch’m in a solo cup and relocate outside. They jump pretty good too.

Just an idea. You could get a little bit of fake spider web and put near the koi pond and weave in a plastic fake goldfish one evening. Unsure of the wife’s initial reaction, I’m sure it’ll be colorful. Might ought to hide the guns?

Barred owls and blue herons have been the biggest problem with our koifish and goldfish pond over the years. Oh yeah, don’t put any redbreasts or other bream in with your goldfish. The goldfish tails and fins get raggedy real quick!

I grew up knowing dragonflies as “Snake Feeders”

Its an Appalachian thing, but here is an interesting one minute read

https://biobubblepets.com/dragonflies-natures-snake-feeders/

We grew up calling them “Snake Doctors” around here.

That’s a first… Dragonflies predators of snakes? I just don’t see a dragonfly having the strength to kill even the smallest snake. It also says they eat snake eggs? I’ve had them bite at my finger and never once brought blood.

“Finally, dragonflies are also known to eat the eggs of snakes, which can help to prevent the next generation of snakes from being born.” … I think I gotta call dookie on that one. Been wrong before. ?

Yeah, we just made that stuff up.

All the scientific work saying they eat tadpoles, minnows, and worms was printed to trick you too,

I hate a lying entomologist almost as much as a thief.

Why do you suppose they make that stuff up?

Must be some of Epsteins people, lets get em, huh?

??? Ok.

What the heck EF. Epstein on this thread. You tripping dude? I just don’t get you at times. I’m being sincere in a post and this? from a moderator?

I guess I just don’t get your humor, like the fancy Nancy bull S. right after the other slanderous crap.

so are you saying the “lying entomologist” is right and dragonflies eat snakes like you posted in a sarcastic way? Man you have me confused on this one.

Do you believe they eat worms?

Isnt a freshly hatched snake just a worm?

You gonna call dookie on that too?

The bug scientists say they eat eggs, just because you dont believe it doesnt negate the facts.

Call dookie on that

Ok you win. Dragonflies eat freshly hatched snakes now called worms by Entomologists and also their eggs. I’ll add it to my list of things dragonflies do, like also seeking out bad kids and sewing their mouths together with their claspers while they slept.

You don’t get a pass on relating this thread to the Pedophile Epstein, that was just another mean jab only meant to rile me up. You are better than that, that’s something a troll would do, not a moderator.

I call dookie on that

That lady who claims dragon flies eats snakes is a mental case. Read more of what she claims to be true. " A dragonfly sting can be quite painful. The pain is caused by the venom that is injected into the victim by the dragonfly . The venom causes intense pain that can last for several hours. " BS, they do not have stingers. Through her studies she says a dragon landing on you can indicate good luck, also if it lands on your dog or cat but be careful since they have parasites that can harm them. Those are just a few of the wild things she claims.

That article is likely written by an AI chatbot.

That being said Its well known that snake feeders eat tadpoles, minnows, bumblebees, and yes baby snakes and even dead stuff.

Im not so sure I believe they search out bad kids and sew their pie holes shut, but if Fred says so I wouldnt call dookie on it

Find another article that says they eat snakes. I could not . That article was written by the same lady you posted about so that must have been written by ai? Plus it was written a few years ago so not AI. Just because one person on the web says its true cause the internet is always right.......While yourre at it , find the article where you dry age meat by vacuum sealing it. Or just admit your`re wrong and move along.