Bilge Pumps, Don’t Leave Dock Without Testing

This past week I purchased a new bilge pump from a top of the line manufacturer. I always have a primary and a back up and my back up was up in age and the impellar was quite worn. After installing I tested and I could hear the pump running so I assumed it was all good. I ran the boat Sunday and attempted to cycle the pump when I got home after washing the boating to empty the bilge. Nothing! I checked impellar and all clear. I assumed it was a loose connection and rewired still nothing. I tried turning on pump and rotating impellar manually and the pump would kick off? Still a wiring issue? I un-installed pump about ready to pull my hair out and wired with a fuse directly to a spare battery in the garage. Nothing! Turns out brand new pump, but a defective brand new pump! Below is a new article from Boat US on how to trouble shoot a bilge pump…thought some folks here might find it helpful.

Bilge Pump Troubleshooting
Story And Photos By Mark Corke
You’ll need to fix it pronto, before heading out, and perhaps at the ramp. Here’s how to find the problem and solution quickly.

Wiring to bilge pumps and float switches should be tidy and well organized. Ensure that any cable connections are well made, using proper butt connections covered with adhesive-lined heat shrink, to keep water and corrosion at bay.

Bilge pumps are the unloved cousins of boats. No one gives them much thought until they fail to operate, and then you could be, literally, sunk! There are only a few things that can go wrong with an electric bilge pump, as there are limited components. This flow chart will help you check each component, find the problem, fix it, and get on your way again as swiftly as possible.

Caution
When working with electrical equipment, disconnect it from the battery. An exposed pump impeller could trap an unwary finger if the pump suddenly starts.

Most pumps have an automatic float switch that detects when water is in the bilge, and automatically turns on the pump. There should also be a switch a