Bird Chasers.....

…have gone crazy. I couldn’t care less about diving birds and I’m not chasing them. I’m trying to pull boards and I see birds diving when out of nowhere, here comes a dozen boats running wide open to get to them and all jockeying for position. The birds start diving somewhere else and the whole scenario repeats itself. They absolutely don’t care about or have any respect for me and what I’m doing. I’m just “in their way”. Almost run over my boards, boat rocking like I’m in the ocean with 10’ waves, it’s just ridiculous.

How about you guys THINK about others just a little bit.

Rant over…

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

Think about others??? That’s not the world we live in now. Seems like everybody is in a big rush to go nowhere.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

That’s one reason we started keeping the small white perch. If we threw one back and it stayed on the surface, struggling to get down, the gulls would dive to pick it up. Then we’d have the same scenario. Bird chasers roaring all around us, casting almost into our boat, all because of a thrown back perch. Now that I’ve learned the popcorn and saltine cracker tricks I just let the bird chasers fish over those. The birds like both!

Had a guy do that to me on Moultrie last year and ran over one of my lines i was trolling. He took all 350 yards of braid straight to his lower unit.

quote:
Originally posted by REDTARPON

Had a guy do that to me on Moultrie last year and ran over one of my lines i was trolling. He took all 350 yards of braid straight to his lower unit.

Braid does wonders for seals, I hear…

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

One of my favorite past times is scattering a box of saltines, easing away, and watching the action. The hard belly laugh is infinitely worth more than the box of crackers.:smiley:

James “Captain Fog” Lindler
Team Hardcore
Xpress HB-22
F150 4 Stroke Yammy Jammer
For guide service, search fogmanfisheries on Facebook.

Problem with my rant is that it is probably “falling on deaf ears”. Those guys mostly aren’t striper fishermen, just opportunistic fishermen, and won’t see this thread.

Funny thing about the other day was I never saw a single fish caught.

-Team Gonna Fish

One other thing a lot of those guys haven’t figured out is some fish other than stripers will get the gulls diving. Several of my best perch fishing trips were when there were gulls diving over deep perch. And they sure haven’t figured out to approach the fish quietly. If they’d all ease in with their trolling motors they’d catch a lot more fish out of each school.

Bowhunter- I was out yesterday on the upper parts of Murray and it got ridiculous with the bird chasers. I was pulling boards and down lining and when the birds came close the bird chasers didn’t care who or what is in the way. They got close enough to where I can cast anything at their boats. Funny thing is out of all those times I would see them chase down birds, I only saw one person hook up that day and it was a dink. Its also funny when you see the last guy show up to the bird parade and he just drive right into the pile, hahaha. towards the end of the day i was having fun with them when they would come up on me again and I’d start yelling where the birds where at. Ridiculous!

My report from Murray 12/5: Nothing to show. It was difficult to get them to bite even when I would mark stripers. Maybe there’s too much bait around or I don’t know what I’m doing, probably don’t know what I’m doing. Was able to catch my first dozen white perch though.

Spoonmaster and Fogman… when are you fellows ready fish with me?

quote:
Originally posted by Bowhunter

…have gone crazy. I couldn’t care less about diving birds and I’m not chasing them. I’m trying to pull boards and I see birds diving when out of nowhere, here comes a dozen boats running wide open to get to them and all jockeying for position. The birds start diving somewhere else and the whole scenario repeats itself. They absolutely don’t care about or have any respect for me and what I’m doing. I’m just “in their way”. Almost run over my boards, boat rocking like I’m in the ocean with 10’ waves, it’s just ridiculous.

How about you guys THINK about others just a little bit.

Rant over…

-Team Gonna Fish

My $.02. This isn't a new phenomenon. It goes both ways sometimes. Been a $^&* show for last 5 plus years if not longer. What I've seen in the past 10 Winters of fishing Murray is the large increase of bait fishermen. Correlate this increase with the geographic areas that are fished and it gets crowded fast. It is what it is. 3-6 guys pulling between 13-18(according to LC on FB)baits and you got tight quarters. Being rude and/or running over their lines or cutting them off does no good.

Some of the guys that pull boards are some of the best striper fishermen that I know. I pick their brains and understand their quirks(especially LC:smiley:). I’ve p

quote:
Originally posted by Bowhunter

Problem with my rant is that it is probably “falling on deaf ears”. Those guys mostly aren’t striper fishermen, just opportunistic fishermen, and won’t see this thread.

Funny thing about the other day was I never saw a single fish caught.

-Team Gonna Fish

I can definitely see and understand the frustrations these types of asshats cause but it’s a bit loose and irresponsible to imply “opportunistic fisherman” are the culprits. I’m one of those “opportunistic fisherman” and have NEVER ran over anyone’s lines/boards and/or ran close enough to another boat to get them rocking. Granted, I don’t run the lake looking for diving birds. If I happen to come across some while I’m running from one spot to another, I’ll definitely give them a check but that doesn’t mean I lose sight and bearing of other boats around me.

I enjoy fishing too much to only chase one particular type of fish so I guess that makes me an “opportunistic fisherman,” and that’s fine but to imply that one particular “type” of fisherman is any more or less responsible on the water than another is just plain ridiculous. Stupidity isn’t that selective.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

quote:
Originally posted by 67Nova

…They got close enough to where I can cast anything at their boats…

Same here. I will avoid them at all cost and give them all the space they need, but it’s hard to just abruptly change course with a full spread out and they pull up right in front.

quote:

…My report from Murray 12/5: Nothing to show. It was difficult to get them to bite even when I would mark stripers. Maybe there’s too much bait around or I don’t know what I’m doing, probably don’t know what I’m doing…

Same report for me. Was a tough day.

-Team Gonna Fish

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

…to imply that one particular “type” of fisherman is any more or less responsible on the water than another is just plain ridiculous. Stupidity isn’t that selective.

Not implying anything. Don’t assume that. I merely saying that opportunistic fisherman don’t target any particular fish. They’ll simply fish for whatever is biting best at the time they’re out and there’s nothing wrong with that.

-Team Gonna Fish

I can see it both ways … I know the glitter boats HATE planer season … They are trying to hit points and banks and so are we … Had one pull up and cuss me for taking up so much water … I told him that if he didn’t move we were going to collide and that harassment on the water was actually illegal … He left - and waked me twice …

Lost a cork to one once - he gained 460’ of 20# mono - hope he enjoyed getting all of that out of his prop … Seen a dozen or so others get run over - including an anchor line over by the little bridge at Dreher - that was fun to watch - he couldn’t figure out why (1) he was getting yelled at and and (2) why he couldn’t get his boat to plane out … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: … Had another glitter boat stop 50’ in front of me and drop his trolling motor and start dropshotting - He got an earfull - didn’t bat an eye and proceeded to do it three more times on points in Crystal …

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter … I rarely see them catch anything - especially around the birds … Usually it’s not even fish they are driving over - it loons or cormorants … When it is fish I just go left or right because those fish aren’t going far and we’ll usually pick up a couple anyways … Always fun to watch them not catch while we do …

Glitter boats aren’t as big of a problem as other striper boats … The last TX there were 18 boats pulling spreads from the mouth of Buffalo to the back with 12 of those boats being from the marina to the back … It’s hard trying to move a 200’ spread around that many boats … :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Not sure what the answer is - the lake gets a ton of pressure and that doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better as more and more people move to the area … Fortunately we’ve got a great stocking program … Unfortunately we’ve got a great stocking program … I guess we’re all going to have to exercise a little bit more patience while on the water … :wink:

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!
[IMG]http://midlandsstriperclub.o

I always liked it when the fish schooled near the stump fields in Marion and moultrie.No running around crazy in there unless you wanted to tear the foot off your motor. I bet throwing out those crackers to attract birds is a lot of fun.haha

quote:

Bowhunter- I was out yesterday on the upper parts of Murray and it got ridiculous with the bird chasers. I was pulling boards and down lining and when the birds came close the bird chasers didn’t care who or what is in the way. They got close enough to where I can cast anything at their boats. Funny thing is out of all those times I would see them chase down birds, I only saw one person hook up that day and it was a dink. Its also funny when you see the last guy show up to the bird parade and he just drive right into the pile, hahaha. towards the end of the day i was having fun with them when they would come up on me again and I’d start yelling where the birds where at. Ridiculous!

My report from Murray 12/5: Nothing to show. It was difficult to get them to bite even when I would mark stripers. Maybe there’s too much bait around or I don’t know what I’m doing, probably don’t know what I’m doing. Was able to catch my first dozen white perch though.

Spoonmaster and Fogman… when are you fellows ready fish with me?

I’ll be off the 20th through the 2nd. Except for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day, I’ll be available to fish. I’m going to try to get in some paying trips during that time frame and think I’ve got at least one lined up so far. However, if I’m not doing the guide thing, I should be able to get together with you most anytime those 2 weeks.

Team Hardcore
Xpress HB-22

note to self - add boxes of crackers to the shopping list

can’t wait to try this, may dump em on top of a big snag

Pioneer 197SF

Remember…those @$$holes read this and that $^&* show FB page.

I went out this morning in this awful weather. When I got off plane near where I wanted to put out my spread, the birds and glitter boats were doing their thing. I simply waited and saw no one boat a fish. When the bird activity stopped and the chasers were gone, I rode downwind, aimed the tm, put out the spread, and caught some nice fish in that area from 8:30 until 1. Sometimes crackers aren’t necessary-- just a measure of patience.:sunglasses:

Team Hardcore
Xpress HB-22

quote:
Originally posted by Fogman

…When the bird activity stopped and the chasers were gone, I rode downwind, aimed the tm, put out the spread, and caught some nice fish in that area </font id=“size3”></font id=“red”>from 8:30 until 1. Sometimes crackers aren’t necessary-- just a measure of patience.:sunglasses:

And just what area was that? :smiley:

Crackers may not always be necessary, but ALWAYS</font id=“size3”></font id=“red”> fun!!!

-Team Gonna Fish