Blood worm hatch

Marina slips are covered up with the nasty aliens. Supposed to be good for the trout bite I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, I work on a local Tug and have seen these all around the Wando terminal the past couple of days. You are right about the nasty alien part.

I remember using them for Spot, Croaker, and Whiting when fishing in Surfside. Smack them on a cutting board cut into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces on a # 7 long shank hook and catching 4-6 fish on one lil piece of bait. I always thought they came from up in New England,I suppose I was wrong. I would be interested to know from the more experienced folks on here, thier thought on bait for trout sounds reasonable to me???

Doubt they’re blood worms. Cinder worms maybe?

i saw the swarm on friday too. they’re the spawning form of polychaete (bristle) worms, which live throughout the pluff and almost every other substrate around here.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/annelida/polyintro.html

they engage in synchronized spawning on new moons here- seen most of them april-june so we’re ahead of the curve for spring already. the gonads break off the bottom-dwelling worm and go swimming off to join up with all the others. the entire swimming unit is called an “epitoke”- they have an eye spot so they mainly aggregate at the surface, then all release their stuff at the same time. the rest of the worm (the “atoke”) continues living happily in the mud, and feeding almost every fish we like to catch.

Woods Hole (second and third paragraphs):
http://www.mbl.edu/marine_org/marine_org.php?func=detail&myID=ITA-65629&source_myID=D1

nasty? maybe.
alien? far less than white people in north america.

I was told by a marine biologist that they are Nereid worms.

nereids are a family of polychaetes. they’re also called ragworms according to wikipedia

They should be called “Heebee-Geebee” worms

Any man that doesn’t know how to catch a fish, shouldn’t disgrace a fish, by catching it.

Wait, Barbawang, I just read the second part of your post! Are you kidding me!!! That has to be the craziest S#%$^ I have ever heard!!! WOW Like I said HEEBEE-GEEBEE worms

Any man that doesn’t know how to catch a fish, shouldn’t disgrace a fish, by catching it.

Many times in the Spring, I have seen redfish stomachs packed with those things. I have found that when the reds have been feeding heavily on them, they can be extremely finicky on the flats using taditional lures and live baits. I have not been able to “match the hatch” to get them to respond like they should. BTW, great info provided by Barbawang. I never knew what they were. I just called them “those swimming wormy things”.

quote:
Originally posted by barbawang

the gonads break off the bottom-

then all release their stuff at the same time.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

barbeque my hamhocks and hogtie me to a spruce pine. I’ve heard it all now.

BW, Beer on me anytime.

the things you can learn on here.

quote:

i saw the swarm on friday too. they’re the spawning form of polychaete (bristle) worms, which live throughout the pluff and almost every other substrate around here.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/annelida/polyintro.html

they engage in synchronized spawning on new moons here- seen most of them april-june so we’re ahead of the curve for spring already. the gonads break off the bottom-dwelling worm and go swimming off to join up with all the others. the entire swimming unit is called an “epitoke”- they have an eye spot so they mainly aggregate at the surface, then all release their stuff at the same time. the rest of the worm (the “atoke”) continues living happily in the mud, and feeding almost every fish we like to catch.

Woods Hole (second and third paragraphs):
http://www.mbl.edu/marine_org/marine_org.php?func=detail&myID=ITA-65629&source_myID=D1

nasty? maybe.
alien? far less than white people in north america.

Bristle worms are pretty, but don’t pick one up with your hands! Down in Jamaica I picked up a pretty one with my scuba knife and one of our girl students said “Oh, how pretty” and took the bristle worm into the palm of her hand. The oh, how pretty was quickly replaces with SOB!!! as it stung her in a s-shaped pattern in her palm.

Nasty buggers.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 17 year old
1 - 13 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Ain’t no wonder, they release their stuff! That, has to hurt!

The things were THICK on Folly when I surfed on Sunday morning. I’m pretty sure I ate a few - and maybe got some down the wetsuit - Wheeeeeeeee!

I figure it must mean good things for the whiting bite. Maybe it’s time to get out the surf rod again.

carl, see below. peapod, you’re gonna need to bring over a case of blue cans before i think about trying this (pic is huge so i didn’t link it):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Nereididae_in_Cuisine_of_Vietnam_2.JPG

rapchizzle and i have seen swarms of ladyfish going at them in the creeks, so we pulled up and messed with them till we were tired.

i once happened upon a “hatch” in the first week of may at the jetties (new moon) that resulted in an all-out blitz: as the current swept them over the rocks, there were bluefish and redfish (and who knows what else) in the wash going ballistic on them. didn’t matter that we threw rapala plugs and mackerel spoons that looked nothing like the worms, we caught blues up to 4lbs and a 32" red.

i have always heard that trout fishing is a good idea when the epitokes are out- in a google image search i found a few flies patterned on polychaetes for tarpon (called “palolo worms” in florida it seems):

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:

the gonads break off the bottom-

then all release their stuff at the same time.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

barbeque my hamhocks and hogtie me to a spruce pine. I’ve heard it all now.

BW, Beer on me anytime.

the things you can learn on here.

That reminds me, I’m coming up on the 15th Anniversary of getting mine snapped. I was clinging to a dock, too.

Man how time flies…

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

snapped huh?

i’ve heard of gettin em snipped. your way sounds much worser.

never snapped a spruce pine before… :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, the excuse “it swam away on its own and came back at daybreak” probably shouldn’t be the first one you use

bump because barbawang is awesome with knowledge and stuff.

Huh and to think I just thought somebody dumped out their leftover can red wiggles from Spot fishing…:smiley:

Seriously - good read as well as enjoyable…