Boat Buying Decision- 32 Regulator???

Why are Sea Hunts not very good boats for off shore?

quote:
Originally posted by Striker

I guess as long as you are talking about buying very large expensive boats its OK to post in the wrong section.

QUIET Striker,The Almighty Cracker is speaking....I guess that is why its ok.Admin,whose watching the store?
quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie
quote:
Originally posted by Striker

I guess as long as you are talking about buying very large expensive boats its OK to post in the wrong section.

QUIET Striker,The Almighty Cracker is speaking....I guess that is why its ok.Admin,whose watching the store?

Don’t blame it on me. I was just responding. Why am I almighty?

dirty boots are on - hi di ho

anyone with the number of posts you have,past or present,your almighty:wink:

The bottom line here is for whatever boat you are ready to plop down some cash on, find someone who has one, and offer to pay for gas on a trip out during a nice 3-4’ choppy day. Never buy a boat without a test trip…

Now, as for the great cat debate. I’m on my second 26’ Glacier Bay. I liked the first one enough to buy a second one. I run it on most days that anyone else will fish (maybe not Lone Ranger, but at least the bigger boats). Also, we have the confidence to run it pretty hard in the pitch black of night during sea conditions that are causing other people to pucker. You don’t do things like that unless you really trust the boat. Usually in a good chop, we are passing most the 31 contenders and regulators at a good clip. Sure, there are some guys that will push it pretty hard, but I like to sit down and relax on the way out. They are wearing foul weather gear and standing up with knees slightly bent. On 90% of the days we fish, we are going our optimal cruise speed 24-29knts. Any faster and fuel efficiency starts to drop off (goes from 20 gph to 30gph to get an extra 4-5knts).

Sounds like bhunter had a 22 and I can’t speak for that, but I can tell you that my 26’ loves a quartering sea and a following sea. It doesn’t like a tight beam sea though. As with all boats, you have to use your head. If you feel like things are “squirrely” then it probably means you are going too fast. Either that, or you haven’t balanced the load appropriately. The only other thing that I don’t like about the GB is when you get a real tight 5’ chop the bow tends to throw some water at us when trolling if you hit it head on. Doesn’t have the problem when you are running, but you can get a little wet when trolling that way unless you mind your direction.

That being said, there are a lot of good boats out there. You just need to fish on a few of them before writing a check.

amen

From reds to marlin you got it.
2001 210 Sea Fox
2009 Yamaha F150

2008 Skeeter 24V
2008 Yamaha F250
(Team Boat)

Wow- Thanks for all the info guys!! I am certainly going to get a ride on a Cat Hull before making a final decision. I live in Murrells Inlet and have only been fishing for 3 years. I basically decided to go one day, bought a boat (2005 26’ Robalo CC), more gear than I needed and went with a cousin to show me what to do. My wife and I fish every week or more and now understand why people have the larger boats. Our current boat has done a fine job but I would like a bit more speed in the sloppy 3-4’(true) quartering mess we always face heading out and returning. If we did not spend all of our time far offshore I would not move up but those long runs are starting to hurt… I appreciate and respect all of your opinions more than you know. Keep’em coming.

Ed

www.grandstrandsportfishing.net

quote:
Originally posted by Nobodys Business

those long runs are starting to hurt…

boy i can relate to that too…

For Sale
One Key West 268 rigged with the best of everything.

barrier island, on johns island, i think has a 2007 32 regulator they are trying to get rid of. and i know they will definitely take you out on a nasty day if you want. like i said, i love mine, and we have def put it to the test, and then some. fishing here off sc you want something that you know will get you home, and a regulator will do that. there are very few days you can run at 40+ knots, so X out all those light go fast CC.

32’ regulator
twin 250 yamahas

Nobody’s Bus

If you fish as much you say, then you really owe it to yourself to look at a big cat. They are drier, burn less fuel than the big heavy monohulls such as the Regulator and will give a better ride.

The two big monos I fished were the Pursuit 34 with 300’s and a 31 Contender with F250’s. Both were very wet, the Pursuit rode better, but burnt a tremendous amount of fuel.

The 31 Contender was fast, but in a 2’ light chop offshore just banged and banged. The owner asked what I thought. He didn’t like what I said… his response “that wasn’t bad for a 3-4’ sea” Whatever.

Good luck
Billy

Look at the percentages of cats vs monos of the boats that normally fish offshore. I think you will find that monos outnumber the cats by a large margin. Not that their bad boats just different handling attributes and require a much more attentive and experienced helmsman in adverse conditions. There’s a reason some offshore cats paint SOS on the bottom of thier hulls. Have never personally owned a power cat hull but have ridden in and drove plenty in my time on the water.

Russ Broward

quote:
Originally posted by wadma-call-it

like i said, i love mine, and we have def put it to the test, there are very few days you can run at 40+ knots, so X out all those light go fast CC.

It sure is nice when you can though, I made it home Friday in one hour. Left the same time as the fleet and had cleaned boat, fish and myself by the time the rest showed up. Even had time to make a fresh batch of margaritas:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Top2Bottom1

Look at the percentages of cats vs monos of the boats that normally fish offshore. I think you will find that monos outnumber the cats by a large margin. Not that their bad boats just different handling attributes and require a much more attentive and experienced helmsman in adverse conditions. There’s a reason some offshore cats paint SOS on the bottom of thier hulls. Have never personally owned a power cat hull but have ridden in and drove plenty in my time on the water.

Russ Broward

More CC’s have capsized off Charleston than Cats… So I guess that means cats are safer…

All of the boats mentioned are great boats. Looked at them all and rode in a few. The Yellowfin would be great if you have the money. Hard to find used b/c there aren’t many built. 32 Reg w/ F250s is underpowered to me. 32 Reg w/ F350s is great. Again, hoard to find a used one w/ F350s. I would stay away from the HPDIs like the plague unless someone is offering a screaming deal. It is near impossible to sell a boat with HPDIs, so, regardless of what you think about their reliability, you should consider resale down the road. Same situation as the CAT 3116s. If you are going to keep the boat forever, you might be able to come out ahead b/c both engines add basically nothing to the cost of the hull on the used market.

As far as speed, there is no running 30mph into a 4-6’ tight headsea in the boat. wadmacallit and I ran back together straight into a 5-6’ ocean during the hilton tournament and the 32 Reg did about the same as the 32 Albemarle - we were pushing around 17-18 knots and glad to be doing it. It wasn’t particularly comfortable for us, but we were dry. I would imagine the same for them. I doubt any boat under 40’ can do much better in those conditions. Perhaps the cat - I would like to have seen one out there to compare.

BRAINSTORM

quote:

Russ Broward

Very common misconception. The first thing that you have to remember, is that Charleston is not the only port in the world. Take a trip to Sydney sometime. It seems that cats outnumber v-hulls 2 to 1. ALL of the public transportation ferries over there are catamarans. The adoption rate in the USA has nothing to do with safety. It's got to do with:
  1. There are 10 times as many v-hull manufacturers, dealerships, advertisements. Look at a boat show and see what is actually offered to consumers.
  2. Cats are fairly new in the grand scheme of things compared to v-hulls.
  3. Cats don’t look “traditional” and are initially ignored by many boaters because of their looks.

True story: When I bought my first Glacier Bay, I didn’t even want to look at the catamarans. I saw them sitting out of the water and thought that catamarans looked ugly. They do look funny out of the water. Anyway, my dad knew I was in the market and suggested we go look at them. I told him flat out (and in an annoyed voice), “Dad, it’s a waste of time. I really don’t want one and there is no need to look at one”. Longshore had a in the water demo and were serving free food and drinks on Shem Creek and my dad says, “Well at least lets go down and get a beer. You aren’t doing anything else today.” I ag

What do the Cat Hull guys think of World Cats? I found this 33’- looks nice and affordable.

Your thought are appreciated on quality ad ride.

Ed

That is a sweet boat. I have been on one a few times. A lot of boat. What is the name on it?

quote:
Originally posted by Nobodys Business

What do the Cat Hull guys think of World Cats? I found this 33’- looks nice and affordable.

Your thought are appreciated on quality ad ride.

Ed

That looks like you.

“More CC’s have capsized off Charleston than Cats… So I guess that means cats are safer…”

Cracker,
Um, yes, I’m sure that’s true but look at how many cats vs monos are out there, I’m sure it wouldn’t be that way per capita or per boatita or whatever it may be!)

Skinneej,

You’re absolutely right about the prevelance of cats down in Australia, thier all over down there, and for use in the transportation industry.

"I will admit, that they take some time to getting used to.
You really have to drive one for about a year before you get it

That’s more of what I am talking about when it comes to cats they require more attention by the helmsman espicially in adverse conditions. They definitly do have thier advantages that’s for sure espicially when it comes to the soft landings after coming off a wave. My first time on one I was that guy hangin on for dear life and waiting for the crashing landing that never came!

Russ Broward

quote:

“More CC’s have capsized off Charleston than Cats… So I guess that means cats are safer…”

Cracker,
Um, yes, I’m sure that’s true but look at how many cats vs monos are out there, I’m sure it wouldn’t be that way per capita or per boatita or whatever it may be!)

Skinneej,

You’re absolutely right about the prevelance of cats down in Australia, thier all over down there, and for use in the transportation industry.

"I will admit, that they take some time to getting used to.
You really have to drive one for about a year before you get it

That’s more of what I am talking about when it comes to cats they require more attention by the helmsman espicially in adverse conditions. They definitly do have thier advantages that’s for sure espicially when it comes to the soft landings after coming off a wave. My first time on one I was that guy hangin on for dear life and waiting for the crashing landing that never came!

Russ Broward

I was making an equally silly statement…I do that sometimes…sorry…