Boating With the Dog

This past summer the kids finally got their wish and were able to talk me into taking our dog out on the boat with us. I am usually on a mission to catch fish when I go out, but this was a cruising trip so we decided this would be a good time to see how she liked riding with us. We had a great trip and they are ready to take her again if they can get me to put down the fishing rods again. The following is a recent article sent to us from BoatUS about taking dogs out on the boat. There are some great tips and recommendations in this article.

The Boating Dog’s Days of Summer
BoatUS: Tips on Boating with Dogs

ALEXANDRIA, Va., July 29, 2013 - Some dogs were born for the water, others less so. The key to boating with dogs, says Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS), is taking it slow and making safety #1. Here are eight tips to get you started:
Before you go:

• Get a good fitting life jacket and have the dog wear it a few times around the home before they get on a boat. Any pet life jacket should have a handle to easily lift the animal out of the water. Here's a buying guide for dogs of all sizes: www.BoatUS.com/doglifejacket.
  • Have a special ID tag with the name of the boat, marina, slip number and cellphone number on it just in case. If the dog gets lost, it's a lot easier for the person who finds them to get them back to you quickly.
  • If there is any chance you'll be going to Canada and Mexico, make sure you have current rabies vaccine and other shot documentation with you as dog tags are not acceptable proof of immunizations. It is also a good idea to check with customs because the rules and requirements often change.

Getting started:

• Familiarize the dog with the boat slowly - don't just get on the boat and leave the dock right away. Ideally, bring the dog to the boat for the first time without leaving the dock, and let give them a chance to sniff around and get their sea legs. It may help to start the engine so they