bonefish ?

So I am headed to Mexico and Belize and my brother and dad are coming with me to Yucatan, they are non-fly anglers and while I realize this question is more suited for a non-fly section of the board I figure more of us have chased bones than bait fishing types (just a guess) So I am rigging a couple spin rods for them as we are going to have shots at bones and possibly a permit so I am trying to stacked the deck for them as far as lures. I have read that people rig split shot/crazy charlie (carolina rig style) and have also been looking at some of the berkley gulp shrimps and crabs. Does anyone have some suggestions on this? And don’t worry they will have a flyrod in their hands after they catch the first one on a spinning rod!

I feel dirty for having even read this…

A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.

• Flatscaster

Rest assure i will have a flyrod in hand, and hopefully a smile on my face having caught a sailfish or white marlin on fly gear from the day before, I might even get a shot at what would be my 4th permit on the fly, that said I am simply trying to get my Dad and brother a chance at a fish they will probably never see again, nor care about as they don’t fish. So if anyone has a useful tip or thought for someone who only uses flygear, trying to help a non angler, that would be great!

If it swims throw a fly at it!

Looks like your only option is to go by Lowcountry or the Angler and buy 2 more 8wt combos before you head that way …

experience noun \ik-#712;spir–#601;n(t)s

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

quote:
Originally posted by mountain guy

…I have read that people rig split shot/crazy charlie (carolina rig style) and have also been looking at some of the berkley gulp shrimps and crabs…

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>
This line/sentence is the one that hits so hard (for me). ‘Carolina rig style a crazy charlie.’

Lots of trips have a mixed bag but, flies on spinning gear OR lead heads on fly rods is just something that can can be hard to… well…

Fish the two methods the way that they have been developed, would be my only suggestion.

Yup will call Scotty for some tying materials for tapron permit and off shore and and probly Mike at CA and grab some jig heads and some berkley gulps. I can honestly say as a hard core fly-fisherman whose been all over the world I have always heard about arrogant flyfisherman and even arrogant saltwater fly anglers but seeing as how I am a flyfisherman I have never really seen that side of things till right now. As to Hurricane I know your’e probably just kidding around and rest assured I am friends with Scotty and hit his shop up every time I’m back home so this isn’t directed at you really.

That said “I feel dirty” having read the previously posted response. I have been on here long enough to know that mr. jerms, just as I, has fished all over the world and we know a lot of the same folks, that said to respond in the way that you did to someone who is clearly trying to help out his Dad who can’t fish for sh%^, to me that’s not only an insult but an embarrassment to anyone who fishes. And after all as much as we go crazy in a pursuit that becomes a lifestyle here’s a hint bud…its just fishing, so maybe come on down off that pedestal cuz you aint lefty, who happens to be a lot nicer and more helpful. Un-called for

Well as you helped out by quoting “I have read where people” rig spinning outfits like this. And for what it is worth I have watched Europeans rig a float system on spinning gear with 4-6 flies draped off the float for trout in tail-waters. so i guess that trumps the whole “the way they have been developed” theory, incidentally I was talking with Capt Jake Jordan a few weeks ago about his development of equipment for catching sailfish/marlin and it’s interesting that he had to think way outside of the box while personally developing every piece of equipment used for catching a species that not long ago no one thought possible for flyfisherman. Funny he even transports old wooden hulled boats to his lodge in Guatemala because he figured out that they have historically outfished (in major bill fish tournaments) all other material crafts. 87% wooden hulled, 13 % all other hull materials. Guess it’s a good thing he doesn’t use “as intended” cause the wooden boats he fixes up are decades old and clearly totally obsolete…oh wait maybe not

They haven’t released this to the general public but, I know for a fact that they will release the New & Improved

Carolina Drop Lead Crazy Charlie Spray before your trip. Cheaper by the case. :wink:

You “thinking out of the box and all”. :clown_face:

If it got my Dad a bonefish i’d spray the heck outta a jig fly or whatever in a heartbeat.

Hey tell us again about “Owning flats”

quote:

If it got my Dad a bonefish i’d spray the heck outta a jig fly

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>
You keep making the same point, over and over and… :clown_face:

quote:

Yup will call Scotty for some tying materials for tapron permit and off shore and and probly Mike at CA and grab some jig heads and some berkley gulps. I can honestly say as a hard core fly-fisherman whose been all over the world I have always heard about arrogant flyfisherman and even arrogant saltwater fly anglers</font id=“red”> but seeing as how I am a flyfisherman I have never really seen that side of things till right now. As to Hurricane I know your’e probably just kidding around and rest assured I am friends with Scotty and hit his shop up every time I’m back home so this isn’t directed at you really.

That said “I feel dirty” having read the previously posted response. I have been on here long enough to know that mr. jerms, just as I, has fished all over the world and we know a lot of the same folks, that said to respond in the way that you did to someone who is clearly trying to help out his Dad who can’t fish for sh%^, to me that’s not only an insult but an embarrassment to anyone who fishes</font id=“red”>. And after all as much as we go crazy in a pursuit that becomes a lifestyle here’s a hint bud…its just fishing, so maybe come on down off that pedestal cuz you aint lefty</font id=“red”>, who happens to be a lot nicer and more helpful. Un-called for

Settle down, Nancy. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. A joke. I’ve never thrown gear at bonefish so I don’t know what you should use.

As such, since I’m an “arrogant saltwater fly angler” and an embarrassment to the sport, I’ll just call down to you from up here on my pedestal and tell you to go ask Lefty.

Enjoy your trip.

A long long slo

Would skip the whole “carolina rigged charlie”, try this instead http://backbonelures.com/skimmerjigs1.htm

Dont forget: small dipnet for catching crabs along shoreline, aki jhooks and split shot for permit.

Newman
www.gtownkingfisher.com

Thanks Capt Newman, they also have some jigs like these through Black-Fly outfitters in Florida. Gonna grab a few of the jig heads and tie em myself, thanks again!

Enough with the games… Either help the guy or just ignore his questions. You grown men acting like a bunch of babies is ridiculous. I’m all for a good joke but you have to draw the line somewhere. Grow up…

2007 Scout 221 150 Yamaha 4 stroke

Got pissed cause I was trying to get some help for my Dad and thought i was gettin attacked, not trying to get into it with anyone just reaching out for a little help and probably got more pissed than I normally would, my bad.

quote:
Originally posted by xxmadfirexx

Enough with the games… Either help the guy or just ignore his questions. You grown men acting like a bunch of babies is ridiculous. I’m all for a good joke but you have to draw the line somewhere. Grow up…

2007 Scout 221 150 Yamaha 4 stroke

Matching sun dresses would look great in the pictures he takes down in Mexico. . If he wants to "think out of the box" he could vary the color pallet from him and Dad and the other guy.

They can simply drag a piece of cut Pilchard along the bottom and catch Bones. I will spend all day stalking the fish like a Egret and my wife just sits on the bow dragging cut bait slowly on the bottom working on her tan and gets more (**() Bonefish than me. We had a problem with rat Barracuda cutting the line so I put a black wire leader on and she still caught Bones! Either way y’all are going to have a awsome time!

19’ Fiberskiff, 150 Bluewater Mercury. 14’ Gamefisher, 5hp Mercury.

I was in Belize in January and the guide was using a white buck tail with a little piece of shrimp on the hook. If worked well for permit and bonefish.

I thought the phrase “get it any way you can” only applied to chasing women. I guess this proves me wrong.

Scout '282
tidewater '21

Oscar '10

On TV on seen them use live shrimp on split shots or lead jig heads on spinnin gear…