Brake Failure

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost: I have 42,000 miles on this truck, I have had the truck to the dealer twice for warped rotors, once around 20,000 miles and again around 38,000 miles. The first visit the dealer turned the rotors and adjusted the brakes(warranty), the second time they said they were warped again, but could not turn them but once and would have to replace all the rotors and brakes for around $895(out of warranty) extended Ford warranty does not cover, I opted to wait until the next oil change to get them done. Friday as I was leaving work, on a busy Charleston Hwy. the brakes went completely to the floor and a low brake fluid warning light came on, I was lucky that I was a mile away from the dealership. Thank God I wasn’t in a collision. I limped to the dealership, they can not get to it till Monday, so it sits at the dealer. I got a call from the dealer, the brake master cylinder has blown out completely and blew fluid into something else and blew out a few other parts. They say it will be covered by the extended warranty, but will have to pay the deductible of $200. I was wondering if anyone else has had this much issues with their brakes and if this is a known issue?

Go on the Ford web site and see if there is any Tec Bulletions issued on the problem!

Glad you’re ok. Really

“Enough hijacking, this is a major thread”

That’s scary as hell! I hope that yours is an isolated case, and not a sign of things to come… Real glad no one got hurt.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I would be furious if my car had this level of problems with so few miles. Read it on the Ford forums. If you can’t find anything there and they are not replacing the entire brake system might want to get rid of it…

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

I went to carscompaints.com and found several other mentions of the 2013 f-150 brake failure. There is also a list of TSB for that year but, I didn’t see any pertaining to the bakes . You might want to take a look and post your situation.

www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2013/

Thanks Tommy, I found that info also during my search. My concern is are they using the same faulty master cylinders to make the repairs and when will it happen again. Next time I may not be as lucky.

Glad you or anyone else got hurt. I think I would get it fixed and trade it in on a real truck, you know a Dodge.

I did a search for other manufactures of master cylinders for your truck and found several for about $100. For the piece of mind, I would think about buying one them and have Ford install it.

I spoke with the service tech and he said that the parts number for the master cylinder was different, so he thinks that the part may have been redesigned.

Oops, I checked into the new 2015 Dodge and they seem to be having issues with the new 8 speed transmission. I guess that’s better than not being able to stop. LOL

We bought a new 2014 Durango with that 8 speed in it. It does take some getting used to, but it seems to be doing good. It has a 100,000 mile power train warranty, so that made me less hesitant to buy it…

I’m with you though, I’d rather be stuck on the side of the road than not able to stop. That really does terrify the heck out of me. Makes me not want to be in front of a new F150 barreling down the interstate at 80mph!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Haven’t had any problems with my 2013 f150. I have about 37k on it. Hope they get yours sorted out.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

andyb, I hope you never have this issue, but if you get a bright red “Warning Brake Fluid Low” all of a sudden, prepare to loose brakes in 2 to 3 seconds. That’s how long I had before the pedal went to the floor.

Brake fluid removes paint. I would make sure anything that was touched by the fluid is replaced under warranty. If not, you may have corrosion issues down the road and have other things mess up when its out of warranty.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

A Dodge is a real truck? Real good at being the worst of the big 3 American brands. Far more breakdowns per 100 vehicles than Ford or Chevy. They look great. But I would never buy one unless it was Diesel. I have had 2 F150’s and now a Ford Explorer. Never had any problems other than a few minor electrical issues.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

have a dodge diesel o7 never had any problems with it. 103480 miles.
going to go knock on some wood. lol

so far been a great truck an will tow anything i can hook to it.

quote:
Originally posted by CooperRiverMan

A Dodge is a real truck? Real good at being the worst of the big 3 American brands. Far more breakdowns per 100 vehicles than Ford or Chevy. They look great. But I would never buy one unless it was Diesel. I have had 2 F150’s and now a Ford Explorer. Never had any problems other than a few minor electrical issues.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

Do you have any data on that? I’d be interested to see if that’s true or just your opinion…

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

If you can afford the electrical repairs, and transmission repairs on the way to 300k on a dodge Cummins truck and afford a $2k injection pump or 2 along the way, they are a great truck.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Toyota. 250,000 miles, no problems :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper