Brining a turkey...results are in!

tips, tricks, hints, what to drink while doing so?
got me one of them $6 BiLo 12lbs turkeys and Mrs Bonzo got an awesome looking cajun brine from work…experimentin’ time, y’all help a brother out!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

yea, I’ve read forty eleven articles online…was wondering if anybody on here had anything to add…

Fry it.

The salt (type) and sugar ratio to water is the most important part for proper diffusion and osmosis to occur. I have experimented with other additives over the years and not impressed. Probably because I inject as well. If you never brined before, you will be amazed at how moist the meat is…we all like moist.
If you brine the bird for 2 days, you should be selective in where you are and what you drink during that time.
http://www.dipee.info/pdf/OnlineResearch/2.pdf

The perfect brine bucket.

If you have a store bought and anywhere on the label it states “self basting”.

It’s already been in a “brine”.

so forget everything you’ve read online.

165-170 in the thigh, rest it for an hour and do whatever you do to a turkey.

Yep, you only want to brine a fresh bird!

I’ve seen your work.

feed it to Biscuit or throw it in the garbage.

make reservations stat. there’s a buffet at the round holiday inn and watersedge.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

I’ve seen your work.

feed it to Biscuit or throw it in the garbage.

make reservations stat. there’s a buffet at the round holiday inn and watersedge.

Ima surprise y’all this year…

if you’re sober at lunch time thursday, i’ll be surprised

i apologizes for that. the stress of fixing for tomorrow has me stressed out. probly won’t be the last time i lash out today.

How’d you get the day off Pod :question: I want to see pictures of Bonz’s said brined Turkey, before, during and after! :wink:

Bonzo has chicken legs, doesn’t that count for anything?

i’m not off. i’m at work playing on the internets like 23 and skinnee do ever day

I figure recipes are dime a dozen, any sugar+salt+water+spice is good! So here’s a great tip… I use a clean-ish (yeah I know, all mine are dirty too) 5 gal bucket. I put “the” bird, plain, in a plastic trash bag. Put the bagged bird in the bucket and fill with water until the level is over the bird. THEN… pour in your brine to the bag holding the bird. Top off the water in the bucket with ice and let it sit for a day, keeping an eye on the ice. You don’t waste any brine and it’s easy to ditch the brine. I’ve never needed more than 1 gallon of brine. PS: I use orange juice as the sugar part of my turkey brine.

quote:
Originally posted by DillyDally

I figure recipes are dime a dozen, any sugar+salt+water+spice is good! So here’s a great tip… I use a clean-ish (yeah I know, all mine are dirty too) 5 gal bucket. I put “the” bird, plain, in a plastic trash bag. Put the bagged bird in the bucket and fill with water until the level is over the bird. THEN… pour in your brine to the bag holding the bird. Top off the water in the bucket with ice and let it sit for a day, keeping an eye on the ice. You don’t waste any brine and it’s easy to ditch the brine. I’ve never needed more than 1 gallon of brine. PS: I use orange juice as the sugar part of my turkey brine.

see, THAT’S the kind of tip I’m looking for right there…

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

if you’re sober at lunch time thursday, i’ll be surprised

we’re running the Turkey Day Run…met tennispro there the other year…come drink beer after it is over run with us!

i’ll still be surprised

if i run, there’s a bear behind me

i bet tennispro beats you like wholesale carpet. he’s half your age and weight, at lease he was before he got married

We do a sweet and salty brine. Based loosely on Food Network recipe, but with a 1/2 gallon to a gallon of apple cider and a 1/2 gallon of orange juice. Juice from 2 lemons and one diced onion.

The recipe has been evolving over the years.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

We do a sweet and salty brine. Based loosely on Food Network recipe, but with a 1/2 gallon to a gallon of apple cider and a 1/2 gallon of orange juice. Juice from 2 lemons and one diced onion.

The recipe has been evolving over the years.

that looks good Tommy…