Brining a turkey...results are in!

quote:
if i run, there's a bear behind me

Me and you both :smiley: And only then after the bear took a double stack load of 9mm!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

We got one of those $6.00 Bilo turkeys. I’m saving mine for the smoker my wife is going to buy. My sister is cooking today’s turkey.

Peapod, be nice.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Peapod, be nice.

he has been rather short lately…change in meds maybe? :imp:

brining and cooking pics to come this weekend…turkey brined for 18 hours and will come out of the fridge from drying out at noon today (I’m not drying out until Monday :wink:)…cooking this afternoon…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

What brine recipe did you go with Bonz:question:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

What brine recipe did you go with Bonz:question:

it was a pre-made cajun brine pack Mrs Bonzo got at the magazine…bird is in the oven now and smelling dynomite…

Lot’s of pictures and how did it taste!

Thanksgiving was yesterday

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Thanksgiving was yesterday

Bonzo gives thanks every day…

What did you need tips, hints and tricks for:question: You had the (**()ed brine, just shove the Turkey into it!

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

What did you need tips, hints and tricks for:question: You had the (**()ed brine, just shove the Turkey into it!

apple cider and OJ were pretty good tips…you change your meds with PeaPod too?

Did you add those things to the brine:question:

I’m betting his wife handled the hole thing

I’m still waiting for the pictures! He said he cooked it yesterday.

I think we are going to have to have an intervention at the oyster roast.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Any of y’all ever try vacuum brining/marinating ?? It’s the only way i do it since learning how 6-8 years back!!!Saves a lot of time and gives much more thorough marinate of meat , especially with large thick pieces of meat…

George McDonald ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Where do you get Food Saver bag big enough for a Turkey:question:

Easy; I’m a jerry rigger ; I have a couple of old pressure cookers that i changed the stem where the gauge used to sit to a fitting that i could connect my old vac pump to. I put whatever i want to brine/marinate in bowl of marinade and sit it in p-cooker and draw it down to a deep vac for hr or so. I use 8qt cooker for most things and
a 32 qt pressure canner for large pieces. I’ve also got an old refrig
in basement that i rigged a hose thru wall for items that need to stay
cold while marinating or waiting to cook. I’ve thought about trying vac-heavy salt brine solution for cut chunks of mullet for bait ,( thats next)
Sounds like a lot of trouble but once you’re set up to do it, it’s
a snap.:sunglasses::sunglasses:

gail, have you ever seen the bags the advertise on TV for shrink wrapping clothes and large objects:question: I think you hook the bags up to a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out! Bet one of them might work:question:

Main problem with vac marinating in bags is they tend to collapse and allow liquid to enter vac source…Another use of pressure cooker vac
set up is anything you want to vac seal dry ie grits ,spagetti , ect…
just put product in regular canning jar,set in vac cooker with sealing lid just sitting on jar, pull deep vac for 30 min.When you relieve
vac pump the jar lids will pull down and seal the jar in deep vac. Screw on ring they keep forever!!! They can be used over and over this way…I’ll try to take a few pics :smiley:of my set up

Anymore I make my own brine, and probably never do it the same twice. I only buy fresh turkeys. I usually include a small amount of apple juice and or cider vinegar, but more vinegar for pork than poultry. I had a 14# and a 21# this year, so I used a cooler and put a cup or two of brown sugar, some white sugar and three or four cups of kosher salt.
from this point, I vary the spices. This time I used a good bit of(yes) ground mustard, dill, onion and garlic, with other stuff as the mood struck. Let brine from Monday evening to Thursday morning and then injected with Tony Cacheres Creole Butter and smoked at 220* for 2 1/2 hours on the pellet smoker, then cranked it up to 350* for 3 more. I mixed some herb pellets in with the hickory and got 2 perfect, juicy birds!!