Brown bear blaster

Cool Rapchizzle. It was probably about '70 or '71 when I went. I saw a group of kids come down off the mountain when we were waiting at the basecamp to go up. They looked like they were 10 feet tall. Later, when we came off the mountain, we saw a group of kids waiting to go up, and we said, “they aren’t gonna make it!”. That little hike made a man out of you!

I ran up and down our highschool football field stands steps with boots on to prepare for that trip. Wish I were in anywhere close to that shape now! I was the only kid from Hampton to go that year.

As for getting out of the tent and beating that bear’s butt with a frying pan - yeah right! Luckily he was more interested in our rations than our flesh!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Great White, that video is awesome. THAT is a “stopping” rifle. The skills of that hunter are awesome. That shot and the “cool” to be able to get up and shake someone’s hand afterwards - incredible!

spec

It stopped him but shot placement had a lot to do with it too. A lot of guns will kill big game in one shot but they all require a good shot, some better than others.

For the most part it comes down to personal preference of trusting yourself with 1-2 50cal shots that will kick you farther off target but hit hard or 5-15 AK/12ga rounds.

Or you can get an AK with a master key and have both.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

It stopped him but shot placement had a lot to do with it too. A lot of guns will kill big game in one shot but they all require a good shot, some better than others.

For the most part it comes down to personal preference of trusting yourself with 1-2 50cal shots that will kick you farther off target but hit hard or 5-15 AK/12ga rounds.

Or you can get an AK with a master key and have both.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

When I do a “mag dump” on my AK, I spray bullets all over. That lion only gave that hunter a few seconds - man that thing was MOVING in real time. I think even with a full auto AK (mine is semi), few, if any, bullets would hit the brain.

Don’t get me wrong. The AK is an awesome weapon for uses that it was designed for. But, I don’t want to pepper a charging lion with one! One well aimed shot from a big Rigby, etc. was all the “prey” had time for. I’d have probably been lion poo!

spec

That’s a lot of faith in one shot at a sprinting animal. …

I would take an auto AK over anything for any animal but a rhino, elephant, or hippo.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

This is no problem at all, easy to solve :smiley:

I’m not going anywhere there are grizzly bears, lions, tigers, hippos or rhinos. I can handle alligators and sharks, sometimes, sometimes not.

quote:
I did the 60 mile Philmont trek in the New Mexico mountains as a teenager.

So did I, Boy Scouts 1967 or 68, don’t remember exactly. Do remember running like a little girl from a bear in the camp one night.

That was a good hike for sure. Pretty much avoided bears since then.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

That’s a lot of faith in one shot at a sprinting animal. …

I would take an auto AK over anything for any animal but a rhino, elephant, or hippo.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Yep, I think Cracker Larry has the solution: stay where big bears ain’t!

It is surprising how many have done the Philmont thing. I have some awesome memories from that. It makes you appreciate the lowcountry - everything is flat - and no bears!

GW, you’re right. One shot may be enough for a professional hunter. For most of the the rest of us (me), I believe we would not likely survive that charge regardless of the weapon.

spec

GW, to your point, here is one case where an AK-74 stopped a bear charge:

http://www.bob-owens.com/2013/07/alaska-hiker-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/

Dang, I hate it when I am wrong! Maybe the old AK can stop a dangerous game charge. And this was the AK-74 with the smaller 5.45x39 bullet, not the AK-47 with its 7.62x39.

spec

2 shotguns vs leopard fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyvV4k8hY8

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Bad shots or tough leopard?

spec

Technically if you don’t kill an animal in one shot it’s a bad shot. Either way that truck is what saved him from getting a royal ass chewing.

What a bs way of hunting too. With dogs, in a truck, and a guide backing up your shots. The client froze up bad. You know he went home and bragged about his heroic kill too.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Technically if you don’t kill an animal in one shot it’s a bad shot. Either way that truck is what saved him from getting a royal ass chewing.

What a bs way of hunting too. With dogs, in a truck, and a guide backing up your shots. The client froze up bad. You know he went home and bragged about his heroic kill too.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Rapchick, what part of Alaska are you in? I am headed up to Old Harbour in 12 days for a week of fishing.

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

2 shotguns vs leopard fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyvV4k8hY8

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

How those two jack legs didn’t kill the dog on the spoaratic (sp) wild shots is beyond me. That was nothing but guys with money that didn’t have a clue. Wonder how much they spent to claim that leopard skin? Probably more than a lot of us make in a year.

I ain’t killing nothing unless it tastes good or is a threat.

Skinneej, the only way you’re going to run into Rap, is if you fly over to the Main Land!

Don’t forget to bring your AK!!!

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Not to belabor the point, but if the AK was better, wouldn’t the professional hunters use an AK for “backup” instead of a big bolt action rifle? I guess this would not be considered “sporting”. You gotta give the lion a fair chance to “win”!

spec

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Rapchick, what part of Alaska are you in? I am headed up to Old Harbour in 12 days for a week of fishing.

50 miles outside of Ketchikan in the Southeast.