Brown bear blaster

quote:
Originally posted by spec

Not to belabor the point, but if the AK was better, wouldn’t the professional hunters use an AK for “backup” instead of a big bolt action rifle? I guess this would not be considered “sporting”. You gotta give the lion a fair chance to “win”!

That’s a good question. In my opinion it’s two fold. First off this is Africa where you have Rhinos, Water Buffalo, Elephants, and Hippos which require the biggest gun possible as their hide and bone structure are on a whole different level than these other animals.
The second being the negative connotation that the AK carries. It’s considered a terrorist and poacher rifle. Why do terrorist/poachers us it? Because its the best gun ever made. It’s design makes it cheap, light, reliable, sturdy, and powerful. Poachers do kill elephants with AK’s but the do it with a hail of fire from the back of a truck.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Good points GW.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Kalashnikov designed the AK for one thing and one thing only, to kill a human being. In my opinion, it serves that purpose well. I did a tour in Viet Nam and have personally seen it perform what Mr. K designed it for.