Bubba Blades

Anyone have one? Pro or Con?

They are wicked sharp with great handle but metal very hard and brittle - you drop one on concrete floor and it’s toast from what I’ve heard.

J Ford

I have one, a Dexter and a Calcutta. I’d rather use the Dexter and Calcutta. They aren’t bad knives but definitely not all they are cracked up to be.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by jford

They are wicked sharp with great handle but metal very hard and brittle - you drop one on concrete floor and it’s toast from what I’ve heard.

J Ford

Made in China

Why on earth would you pay that much for a knife??? Go to Berlins and spend less than $30 on any number of Dexter Russel boning and breaking knives. I have also started using D. Martini knives from Gander mountain also under $30 bucks. Go to any fish house and use what the pros use…Dexter and Foshner

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

dexter all the way…

“mr keys”

I bought one because of the name…Ha ha…Dexter is the way to go.

Thanks guys! I just want 1 good filet knife that I can keep away from my wife. She gets her hands on one and you might as well throw it away, when she’s done with it.

get a new wife

Not until she buys me my new knife:wink: I’m a trophy husband and I ain’t cheap:smiley:

Get a Worksharp. If you can’t put an edge on one with that, you don’t need or deserve a knife.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Love my dexters!

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

BB Best handle on the market. It’s all about ergonomics and comfort.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

Victorinox Forschner Fibrox is the brand I have always gone back to after trying others. The steel is a bit softer than Dexter/Russel which is both bad and good; Won’t chip unless you go completely monkey with it, but dulls faster so keep a good steel nearby. The Fibrox grips are extremely comfortable and hold well when the hand is wet or covered in scale and flesh. Also the blades are polished which makes for a very clean fillet.

“Negative. I’m a meat popsicle!”
www.atlanticredcrab.com

On the topic of knives and such. Outside of a simple wet rock, what is the best sharpening tool?

I use a warhog sharpener and seems to do a good job on general kitchen equipment.
http://www.v-sharp.com/product/classic-ii/

This is what I use. I can make a butter knife into a razor in under 3minutes.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/chef-schoice-professional-sharpening-station/1014147438?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cutlery_&adpos=1o2&creative=39230283949&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMTd5MPj0sMCFZLm7AodHFYATw

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Belt sander

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

This is what I use. I can make a butter knife into a razor in under 3minutes.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/chef-schoice-professional-sharpening-station/1014147438?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cutlery_&adpos=1o2&creative=39230283949&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMTd5MPj0sMCFZLm7AodHFYATw

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

I have the same one and love it!!

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

I would expect you have to put new disks in every now and then? Are the disks pricy?

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I would expect you have to put new disks in every now and then? Are the disks pricy?

I’ve had mine for 4 years, I believe and have not had to replace them yet. I use it quite a bit too.

Curious what Sells has to say as he must use it almost daily…

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/