BUILDING A HOUSE: New Appliances

What do I need to look out for here? Any brands to stay away from? And brands that are good “bang for the buck”? Good for resale, etc? Try to stay in same brand or “mix and match”?

I think the budget is around $12K

• Refrigerator - (size considerations???)
  • Oven
  • Gas Cooktop
  • Vent/hood
  • Microwave
  • Diswasher
  • Food compactor

Anything I am missing from the list?

Let me save you some time. It doesn’t matter what you want or what someone else recommends,your wife will let you know what you are getting.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Kitchen Aid for most things. We’ve had great luck with their refrigerators, freezers and dishwashers. They make good stuff. Amana makes a great stove. No problem with ours. All of those have worked great for us for 20 years.

quote:

Ceiling fans? Hunter and Casablanca

Coffee pot? Seem to be mostly disposable.

Washer and Dryer? We use Whirlpool for both. Both have been trouble free.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

Let me save you some time. It doesn’t matter what you want or what someone else recommends,your wife will let you know what you are getting.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Actually not at all... She doesn't have a knack for picking out stuff like that.
quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Kitchen Aid for most things. We’ve had great luck with their refrigerators, freezers and dishwashers. They make good stuff. Amana makes a great stove. No problem with ours. All of those have worked great for us for 20 years.

quote:

Ceiling fans? Hunter and Casablanca

Coffee pot? Seem to be mostly disposable.

Washer and Dryer? We use Whirlpool for both. Both have been trouble free.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Cool. Ceiling fans fall under the "Lighting" allowance, and we already have a washer and dryer... That's the type of ■■■■■■■■ I am looking for though!

We’ve really enjoyed our new Samsung stuff. Our neighbors went with all LG on their remodel and seem to be very pleased with it.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Skineej I replaced appliances a couple of years ago. I went to lowes and asked them who is making the best and they replied with out a doubt Samsung. I begged please just don’t sell me something-tell the truth- again ,you got to get Samsung. We pulled the trigger and bought all Samsung. They lied and pushed what they were told to push. After installation the microwave broke, they fixed and broke again after 3x I got a refund and replaced with American made kitchen aid, has worked with no problems since. At 13 months- just after warranty dish washer broke more times than I can count. After 15 hrs of *****in to very rude customer service reps and multiple managers on phone they agreed to send out a tech from Columbia to fix. No local reps under warranty. Fixed so many times we gave up and had to replace the dishwasher as well and had to bite the cost. Shortly after the stove glass top broke, now the convection oven feature is broken as well. Thats 3 out of four crap.The customer service by Samsung was sooo bad it was comical, I mean bad bad bad. Two of four had to be replaced within 13 months so you make the call on quality, I have my opinion. CHIT. The dishwasher was replaced with kitchen aid and 0 problems. I cant express to you enough do not buy samsung horrible comical rude crap! Look up consumer reports and do your homework and it will save tremendous headache. All the appliances were “high end” . Labor day will have killer sales take advantage. Good day Sir.

quote:
Originally posted by runbabyrun

Skineej I replaced appliances a couple of years ago. I went to lowes and asked them who is making the best and they replied with out a doubt Samsung. I begged please just don’t sell me something-tell the truth- again ,you got to get Samsung. We pulled the trigger and bought all Samsung. They lied and pushed what they were told to push. After installation the microwave broke, they fixed and broke again after 3x I got a refund and replaced with American made kitchen aid, has worked with no problems since. At 13 months- just after warranty dish washer broke more times than I can count. After 15 hrs of *****in to very rude customer service reps and multiple managers on phone they agreed to send out a tech from Columbia to fix. No local reps under warranty. Fixed so many times we gave up and had to replace the dishwasher as well and had to bite the cost. Shortly after the stove glass top broke, now the convection oven feature is broken as well. Thats 3 out of four crap.The customer service by Samsung was sooo bad it was comical, I mean bad bad bad. Two of four had to be replaced within 13 months so you make the call on quality, I have my opinion. CHIT. The dishwasher was replaced with kitchen aid and 0 problems. I cant express to you enough do not buy samsung horrible comical rude crap! Look up consumer reports and do your homework and it will save tremendous headache. All the appliances were “high end” . Labor day will have killer sales take advantage. Good day Sir.

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear about your bad experience...

Yes, the labor day sales are already here, so I’m trying to make some decisions on it.

Sorry leadenwahboy- we typed at the same time, clearly we had very different experiences with samsung. Mine a nightmare. They don’t make them like they used too. My wife needs to replace her ac at the office,it lasted 26 years and is still slightly cooling. :smiley:

We have a Samsung frig/freezer. I would not buy one again, we had techs out 6 times to fix an issue… it still isn’t right and we just gave up. We’ve had 2 GE dishwashers recalled, will never buy GE again. We have Whirlpool washer/dryer…fantastic and would buy again. The last time we had a repair guy over (for the Samsung frig), we asked him what he preferred. He said Whirlpool. They don’t break often and when they do, they’re easy to fix and parts are not outrageous. It is what he had in his house. I have heard good things about Bosch dishwashers.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Also, why would someone choose a gas OVEN over an electric? We are going with a gas cooktop, but what are the advantages of a gas OVEN?

Get gas cooktop w/ electric convection oven…best of both worlds. Clean-up on a sealed top is easiest too. Lol, didn’t think me first post on a fishing forum would be about appliances, but I guess i needed to start somewhere

HHGREG is advertising a big labor day sale. Plus free delivery.

Might be worth looking. We bought our double oven and gas stove top there a few years back when we remodeled.

Buy the cheapest ones you like. The planned obsolescence in the stool they build today is not worth the extra money and headache of dealing with repairs/warranty. I bought the biggest/best Samsung side by side and leaked water out the icemaker/water port on the door from day one and the rubber peeled off the door after a year. They all suck. My old fridge out in the garage is a Kenmore and is still kicking…but IT"S NOT STAINLESS!!!

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

HHGREG is advertising a big labor day sale. Plus free delivery.

Might be worth looking. We bought our double oven and gas stove top there a few years back when we remodeled.

Jump on it. Appliance, jewelry, and furntiture stores dont have a sale just any holiday.

20 years and counting on a Kitchen Aid refrigerator, dishwasher and freezer. Never even had a service call. Same with Amana glass top stove.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

20 years and counting on a Kitchen Aid refrigerator, dishwasher and freezer. Never even had a service call. Same with Amana glass top stove.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Outsourcing...something to be said about old American built. Too much electrical part failures on the new stuff. The KISS principle has me as a disciple. They may not look new and chic, but, they work.

Skinee man , you might want to check out the Viking line . They have top of the line to lower priced units but most are good . We got a 6 burner gas cooktop a few years back and if I am not mistaken it was $3600 . worth every penny too . Lowes and such places don’t carry them but I can let you know who does if you are interested and can’t find them .

Oh Wife collects cast iron pans and I clean them up , pic had a load ready for the basement

Capt Larry’s 20 year old stuff is before the crap they make now was being produced. We have a new washer/dryer from Whirlpool, they suck. 360 days after purchase the washer errored out and wouldn’t give us our clothes back. Had to get warranty work to even get the clothes out of it. That was about 6 months ago. Last week, out of warranty, we got the same error but it restarted. I called to start the conversation that the original “fix” wasn’t a real fix, they said call back when it breaks for good. I’m sure I won’t be supported when that time comes. I’ll have a 2 year old washer and a $300 bill to get my clothes out of it to limp for 6 more months I bet.

BG

We loved our GE Monogram appliances. We had the gas cooktop, electric convection oven, and combination oven/microwave(they are the only ones that make this). We hated our side by side refrigerator. Just no room. We have moved since and will be looking to purchase all new appliances as well very soon. Wouldn’t hesitate to by the monogram series again.