BUILDING A HOUSE: New Appliances

I used to design kitchens and sold high end appliances for 10 years.

With that budget, I would look at the following:

Viking Rangetop, 36" with a center griddle.

Thermador or Miele wall ovens

Miele Dishwasher

Vent-A-Hood- Hood. Recommend a hood liner, and a wood covering, or stone/tile

No help on refrigerator with that kind of budget. I recommend increasing it and getting a Sub Zero or Thermador. Besides those, just try to find the best deal on a layout you like from a company that hasn’t gone to crap. I think Whirlpool owns everyone now, and then you have Samsung and LG. GE used to make solid refrigerators, but not sure anymore.

Microwave- Sharp always made really solid units. I liked the old drawer style, but not sure if that fits your layout or functionality.

Trash Compacter- why? Haven’t many people use those anymore. I would use that space and money on a ice-maker before a compactor if it were me.

Unless you meant disposal- in that case I would get a 3/4 HP Franke disposal. Add the air switch if you like.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

We have kitchen aid everything. The only thing is you have to replace them every 15-20 years

couple of questions and comments

how do you break the glass top stove runbabyrun?

throw DF’s post out of this discussion. he’s broken everything at his place this year. he’s jinxed.

7cs, you’re lashing out again, do we need to pass the hat for some professional help, therapy, vicoden, something? it’s one thing saying i need depends for the storm, but that attack on 23 is just mean

quote:
throw DF's post out of this discussion. he's broken everything at his place this year. he's jinxed.

Walk a mile in my shoes buddy.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

We had a Jenn-Air glass cooktop before we remodeled. It broke very easily, actually. All it took was a grown man “hopping” up on the counter and sitting on it…WASN’T ME!

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Glass tops are worthless. Go gas.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Mr. Pod way the glass top cracked was I put 2 good size pots side by side and cut them on high to brown some food. I didn’t forget or leave them for a long time, they just couldn’t handle the heat-just was cooking. When I called them and told them, they asked me to send them a picture so they could determine how the top was broken. How they can look at a pic and determine the cause of it breaking I don’t know. After eating fast food for a few weeks and calling them on a daily basis and pleading with them to return my phone call, they finally called back and said they would replace. After a couple more weeks heard nothing from the repair man that was from “Columbia” that was supposed to call me with an appointment time to fix my top, I called them and they told me that they had another tech look at my photo and he determined that it was broken by something being dropped on it which was a total lie and that they weren’t going to fix it. I told them that it was absolutely broken from cooking and that someone made a mistake-to look again, they were dead wrong. How can they say they were fixing it and then say nope, we changed our mind? They finally figured out I was going to “out last” them and wasn’t going away. I explained to them for the price of the man hours which was somewhere around 10-15 that it would have been just cheeper to honor their warranty than to pay for the cost of all the managers and employees that I had lengthy conversations with so many times. They also would not just send me the glass and allow me to fix it. At a certain point it wasn’t about the money and was about the principle, the whole process was the most ridiculous thing I ever experienced. They try to wear you out, break you, and hope you fatigue and go away, and just buy another unit. They were not successful and finally fixed my glass top:smiley: A couple of months later the convection oven feature stopped working which I paid so much more for to have. Like I said 3 out of four appliances all had issues shortly after buying and the same

The above^^^ is why I recommended the products I did. Those appliances will outlast your desire to keep them. I have replaced so many functioning Miele, Thermador, Sub Zero, etc. for people who just wanted to change their kitchen after 25 years. Most people want to redesign after 20-25 years, but are probably on their 3rd or 4th set of appliances. You get what you pay for.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

My wife has dropped cast iron pots on our Amana glass top many times and it’s never cracked. People sit on it sometimes too. They probably don’t build them like they used to.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

same here CL

leadenwahboy is obviously engaged in some sort of sport cooking with large men, out in the country and all. you never know what goes on out there when he’s involved

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

The above^^^ is why I recommended the products I did. Those appliances will outlast your desire to keep them. I have replaced so many functioning Miele, Thermador, Sub Zero, etc. for people who just wanted to change their kitchen after 25 years. Most people want to redesign after 20-25 years, but are probably on their 3rd or 4th set of appliances. You get what you pay for.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Where might one find these products at? We will probably be looking into upgrading ours in the new house when we finally sell our old one, and I would like to not waste money on big box store junk.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Wholesale has everything but Thermador. Not sure where in Charleston for those.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Made my first purchase this weekend… The Thermador, Sub zero, viking stuff is pretty much out of our range, and to be honest, not something we truly need. We are light to moderate cookers, not professional chefs… That being said, there are some sweet deals to be had right now…

Our first purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umb4IeTVPb8

This has to be the coolest refrigerator on the market, and I can see myself using a lot of the “techie” features. And, I don’t normally purchase “extended warranties” but since this is a refrigerator with a tablet on it, I decided to purchase the 5 year warranty (Best Buy). Another cool thing about this fridge is that the lower right door can also be toggled between freezer or fridge. I’ve got a stand up freezer in the garage so having an extra 1/4 of your unit to be a fridge seemed pretty useful.

Also, for those that don’t know, if you spend $4000 in appliances at Best Buy right now, they will give you a $400 gift card, which is essentially like getting an extra 10% off.

LOL!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Our first purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umb4IeTVPb8

I’m gonna slap you with my ring hand for this…

Geez! What a frig [:0]:sunglasses: We know now who’s got the money :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Geez! What a frig [:0]:sunglasses: We know now who’s got the money :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Would not have paid full price for it. Basically got it at 40+% off!

That’s one bad azz refrig and freezer for sure :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

That’s one bad azz refrig and freezer for sure :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I can't wait for my 2 year old daughter to teach me how to use it! She will straight up snatch an iphone out of your hand and head to youtube if you aren't doing it fast enough!

Also, I figure this might be a good way to keep her from actually opening the door all of the time if she can see what is in there from the camera inside!

You better put a waterproof barrier with a drain under that fridge or you will be replacing flooring not long from now , a piece of junk