Bull Reds

Are they in yet? Thought about heading to the usual spots in the Calibogue and Port Royal some time soon but don’t want to waste time if they aren’t there?

‘90 Maverick 18.5’ Master Angler/'03 Evinrude 150
'14 Hydra Sports 3400/ 2 350 Yammys

I have not caught any yet, but they have been here for a week or so- all at their usual locations. Good luck!:smiley:

Miss Libby 2
26’ World Cat

Thanks Russel, I’ll let everyone know after the weekend.

We caught one the first week of June this year in the Calibogue.

Sea Hunt BX 21
150 Yamaha

You were right Russel, went out to some holes right off Spanish Wells and got a couple

I was told that first of the incoming tide was best, so we tried that at the 170 bridge. Also was told to use frozen menhaden, and to set up in the drop-off right behind a rip or a hump. Just got sharks.

What do y’all think is the best tide and the preferred bait? Someone suggested deep holes in the Calibogue. Is that the better structure?

I appreciate your help!

Hour before and after either side of high or low. I like to use mullet. I would use live menhaden if you can find them instead of frozen. Can catch them at all the typical spots just like Cobia fishing. When I fish the bridge I move from piling to piling a couple times.

07 Scout Winyah Bay 221 Yamaha F150

I fish for them I 20-35 ft in the holes in Calibogue and Port Royal. Mad fire is right on the times we caught another 9 on Sunday.

Plastics - I also tie a chum bag to a mushroom anchor and drop it down.

Bennetmp,
I had not thought of using a mushroom anchor to tie to the chum bag. I may have to get one to use. Thank you.

Sea Hunt BX22 Br
WS Tarpon 140

Mushroom anchors are hard to pull up, make a wt out of old tire wts and a Coke can. Add a bent piece of wire to the top when the lead is still hot and you have a cheap easy to pull heavy wt for your chum bag.

www.fishincoach.com

The more I hear, it sounds a lot like cobia fishing. Never heard of chumming for bull reds, but I was actually wondering about that.
I can’t wait to try those holes in the Calibogue sound. Easier run than the bridge for me. I can’t imagine catching 9 in one day!
Thanks to all for your help!!!

Mushroom anchors aren’t that hard to pull up… You are just old! :smiley:

07 Scout Winyah Bay 221 Yamaha F150

quote:
Originally posted by xxmadfirexx

Mushroom anchors aren’t that hard to pull up… You are just old! :smiley:

I was thinking that:smiley:!

I like a mushroom anchor, as it has the rubbery coating as to not be so hard on the finish!

I’m guessing a coke can full of lead would be about 10lbs.?.?. Probably can pour one, in the event anybody needs one. Unsure of what to charge tho. Lead is getting harder to come by.

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

Try a downrigger ball on mason twine! Better if you have a downrigger with the boom and reel.

I suppose in that respect you can just get a dumb bell from Walmart. I use them as anchors on my yak at times. Fishing in the lakes they work as long as there is not a lot of current. They do not cost much at all.
I tried a 5# weight plate for cobia this past spring but the current got so strong the whole bag was on the surface behind the boat, weight, chum and all.

Sea Hunt BX22 Br
WS Tarpon 140

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Try a downrigger ball on mason twine! Better if you have a downrigger with the boom and reel.

Good idea, but, Just don’t let one of those big azz sharks grab your chum bag and break that boom on the downrigger:face_with_head_bandage:.

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

Second that on the sharks grabbing the chum bag. I use the diver bags for chum bags and they are stout. I have had numerous Tiger Sharks grab the bags fishing for Cobia at the Christmas Tree. I like a fairly stout rope for the bags as they are easier on the hands and when chumming for Cobia I pull the bag a bunch performing the Beaufort County Shuffle on the bag and sending it back down.

www.fishincoach.com