Bushy Park... same old story

Bunch of bureaucratic bs obviously… been hearing these same stories for how many years now?

2 Likes

We’re from the government and we’re here to help!

More “penny tax” bs, too… I guess we ARE that stupid as a whole… :laughing:

2 Likes

2 steps forward, 4 steps back…and then fall down. Ain’t government grand.

1 Like

Simply dredging that site is going to go about as well as it did at Garris landing…silted back in almost instantaneously… Any time you have a bay with no flow it will eventually get silted in. Ppl always blame the tugs but I don’t buy it. It’s a natural effect of nature. Best thing they could do is dredge then open a pipe to let the fresh water flow through there as God intended.

Went this morning,caught a bunch of little ones but did manage to get two legal trout for supper. I even seen kobp .

1 Like

A one-time dredge will not fix the problem. Gubment needs to plan long-term and budget for periodic dredging, so it remains deep enough.

Long time BOSN… the place is a little dismal these days… needs some CPR (catch, photo, release) and I haven’t fished in 4 weeks, that’s gonna change soon though.

Anyway…

Word on the plant is they’re building a berm around 20 acres on the north side of the landing for a place to but dredge spoil… might be ready in a year… all speculation of course but I see a road being used and some sort of work beginning already, so there’s that!

3 Likes

That’s great news. Like you, I’ll beleive it when i see it. Catch em up!

Yeah that’s great!

I’m sure they will destroy a bunch more habitat in the process…sigh (sarcasm font)

Believe it all when you see it. The gubmint ain’t know for being honest, effective, efficient, timely…well, you get the point.

1 Like

1 Like

We got a little action…

1 Like

Charleston needs MANY more landings with the tremendous INCREASE in boat ownership locally.

Great news!

It will certainly help not just from a convenience point but as a safety issue so a boater can get in at any point of the tide in case of an emergency, either on the water or something concerning home and/or family.

2 Likes

Easyrider, You sure got that right! I’m a senior so I have a lifetime license but for all the years I paid I thought it was quite a bargain. Increasing licensing fees would maybe kick start things IF the increase actually went to helpful projects. We also have some of the lowest non-resident licenses and that would be an easy area to look at. Non-residents spend a lot of money for vacations and wouldn’t fuss about adding another ten or twenty bucks.

Definitely agree, but money has to come from property tax on boats with the cost of waterfront property.

Berkeley County to improve waterway access at Bushy Park Boat Landing | WCBD News 2 (counton2.com)

"The county is expected to dredge about 200 feet wide and they are going to go deep enough so that there will be about eight feet of water at low tide."

“The sand and silt will be piped to a location 10 miles away.”
This part confuses me as I understood the spoil area to be much closer. I’ll see what I can find out soon…

“Supervisor Cribb tells News 2 they expect the work to begin in November, and it should take about 28 days. He’s hoping the work could be completed by the new year.”
This part I’ll believe when I see it, my fingers are crossed in high hopes just the same!