Buying a truck

Looking to buy a new or new to me truck. Have always drove chevy, but the 2010 I have is making me think about others.
2 wheel drive, towing package, 4 door, what to look for or stay away from?

Just my 2¢ worth but I think all the major brands are pretty good and reliable these days. Biggest decisions are which one has the features you best like and which one is most comfortable for you to sit in.

My son drives a 2018 F-150 and very pleased with it, tows a 21 foot center console with it and it does a good job. His favorite unique feature is the tailgate ladder.

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=180383

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Everyone has their favorite. I drive a 2006 Tundra with 104,000 miles and love everything about it except the mileage.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’m Ford Biased and Ravenel Ford has always treated me good. In the trucks I like the King Ranch over the Platinum.

Dodge has come a long way, Saw some really nice ones At the Orangeburg Dealership, and to beat all Dad bought a Chevy Canyon and really likes it. His first Chevy ever.

My 2 Cents would be to wait until fall. Right now might actually be one of the worst times to buy any vehicle… Everyone buying right now due to tax refunds.

I’d look for something a couple years old in the 20-40k mileage range with good service records. So much depreciation on a brand new one as you drive it off the lot.

If you buy new, being able to walk away will help. Make them work for it. If you are at the Chevy dealer, tell them about the Ford dealership you are dealing with. It helps, seriously!

If buying a new Chevy, GMC or Toyota, absolutely check with Milton Ruben in Augusta.

I have no dog in that hunt but, they usually smoke anyone around!!

Good luck.

Thanks for the input.
I have been looking at used 2018 models with less than 30k, fords are running about $23-30 for a loaded one.

Beavertail - does your son have the v8 or v6 turbo?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Everyone has their favorite. I drive a 2006 Tundra with 104,000 miles and love everything about it except the mileage.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I drive a 2008 tundra,we have a lot in common,pea is jealous of both of us and we make our own home repairs.haha

If you’re getting a Ford F-150, get the 5.0, it’s about as bulletproof an engine as is out there these days. Eco-booms are prone to carbon build up, turbo issues and many cases of engines blowing up. People who get a good one love them though.

Personally were I buying a gas truck it’d be a Tundra or RAM with the 5.7 in them.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

Thanks for the input.
I have been looking at used 2018 models with less than 30k, fords are running about $23-30 for a loaded one.

Beavertail - does your son have the v8 or v6 turbo?

The V6 Turbo and he likes it.

Not brand loyal to anything. The last truck GMC 3500. 375 thousand miles. Replace the transmission at 200,000. Driving a GMC 2500 now. 325000 miles and going strong… plan on driving it till the first of the year.if a vehicle leaves me on the side of the road I’m done with it

How long do you keep it? I lease a Tundra. On my third one. I get a new one every 3 years.

I could never lease. I look for something low mileage 3/4 years old. Pay cash. And run the wheels off of them. I usually try to keep a vehicle about five years. I’m all the time pulling a boat or carrying heavy loads. My wife has a 2000 F-150. Has 450,000 miles on it. She don’t hardly drive it anymore. But she won’t get rid of it. 3 water pumps & and had to have a spark plug helicoil back in. It’s like the little Energizer Bunny keeps going and going.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

How long do you keep it? I lease a Tundra. On my third one. I get a new one every 3 years.

You must not drive it a lot? I only leased once in my youth. Got burned on the extra mileage I put on it. I always thought the lease thing was for those that loved the thrill of a new vehicle every couple of years. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :smiley:

It seems lately with the cost of newish (2-3 year) used vehicles you can buy and trade just as stylishly as leasing and come out better.

When you have money like skineej and pea,you don’t worry about it.haha

Skinnie doesn’t put mileage on vehicles. He can run Charlestonfishing.Com from his house.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

2015 or later Chevys are the bomb.

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

I consider my truck a tool. As long as it’s comfortable and gets me from point a to point b I’m happy.

I have an 04 Titan with 300,000 miles on it and my wife has an armada with 150,000 miles on it. My truck just pulls the boat these days but with some basic maintenance and I’d drive across country in it. (starter in the process of dying but got 300,000 miles out of it…)

“There is nothing better we can do for our future than to teach our children well”
Cracker Larry

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I am looking at the ford but… The auto off system. Is there a reliable way to permanently disable this unholy #($*$#(@)???