Buying Car extended warranty???

Anyone know of a good company?.I have several quotes on the web but they scare the hell out of me.:slight_smile:
My Dealer Rick Hendricks quoted me $2800 3 Year 50k miles

Direct said 100K full coverage 5 years $1800 HELP!!!
24K on the Avalanche right now

$2800, holy cow! put the 2800 in the bank and have the car fully serviced every year and you’ll save money and have a car that runs over 75k. Thats not answering your question, but i’d rather invest in the vehicle than a waranty you may never use.

You can often get one thru the finance company. I have one thru my personal bank that I refinanced my truck with. Cost me $350 for 4 yrs 40K. They had different levels of warranty, I went with a mid level one (as far as what it will cover).

Next Birthday I will be 79.Not sure health wise if i will be even able to drive.I do not want to have to mess with the truck at all.So I figured a Warranty would take car of it.When u get up in age u think a whole lot different about things.My other Avalanche blew the engine after i gave it to My son.Lucky it was still under warranty by a few hundred miles. Aggravation is not good for anyone.

Stonoman

I don’t think they are worth the money, if you buy good vehicles. We have a 2005 Toyota Camry since new, it has 250,000 miles on it, change oil, fluids, brakes, tires, and an alternator a few weeks ago. No other service needed. Also have a Toyota Tacoma since new, 2005, 195,000 miles. Change oil, tires, and brakes, never had a problem with it. I’d hate to think I spent $2800 a year, that would be almost $28,000 [:0] for a maintenance contract. Heck, you can buy a new truck for that!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

One time $2800 for 50k miles Found 5 year 100k for $1700

Stonoman

I bought one for my wifes car a few years ago. Biggest waste of money ever!!!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Stono, what am I missing? 3 year 50K. That should be a standard warranty sold with vehicle at no charge.

You need to read one closely. Does it start the day you buy it? Or does it start the day your current warranty run out and then kick in?

quote:
Originally posted by stonoman

Next Birthday I will be 79.Not sure health wise if i will be even able to drive.I do not want to have to mess with the truck at all.So I figured a Warranty would take car of it.When u get up in age u think a whole lot different about things.My other Avalanche blew the engine after i gave it to My son.Lucky it was still under warranty by a few hundred miles. Aggravation is not good for anyone.

Stonoman

:question::flushed: what??? what is all this gloom amnd doom and im so old stuff. Age is a number. Thats it. Life and how you live it is what decides the quality of it. My daddy will be 77 this sept. he can rake 30 bushels of oysters or pull 80 traps in a given day…and does so. He says it keeps him "livin’ " yeah he hurts and has aches and pains…but he is still doing what he loves. dont you go letting a “number” and a few bumps in the road break your spirit stono. Take it a little easier if you need to…but keep doing the things you love

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Reality is i am an old man.Wise old men plan ahead.I decided to keep the Avalanche because i really like it.The warranty runs out at 36k or 3 years.The 3 years will be here in a few months.Looking for input on a company that will actually pay for a problem and not get me pissed off with bull &@&$t.I do not want to go “Postal” on some poor guy that sold me a bull &@&$t policy.:slight_smile:

Stonoman

Like Easy said, read it all close!! They all have these hidden clauses and a list of what they dont cover, and some have a high deductable you have to pay each time you use it. Extended warranties are money makers for the company selling them, not money savers for the person buying…

A bad day fishing is much better than a good day at work.

I thought Chevy had a 5 year 100k power train warranty. That should cover most big ticket items. I’m not sure if the extended warranties even cover bumper to bumper or of they are basically power train only.

Extended warranties on cars are for suckers. No way I would ever buy one unless it was next to free. The most expensive car repair that I have ever had was a transmission for about $3700. If I had paid $2800 for a warranty, then I would have POTENTIALLY saved $900. So, I would put up $2800 in capital to POTENTIALLY make $900 on an issue that has only happened to me once in my life with 10 or so cars? That means that I would have spent 10 cars * $2800 per warranty = $28,000 over my life. To save $900? No way. As said before, it’s better to put that money in savings.

That being said, I would spend that much on an extended warranty going from 3 years to 6 years on a set of outboard engines. I’ve used my warranty a lot on outboards and they just get a beating in the saltwater environment.

For a car, only “gap insurance” seems to be worth the money from what I can tell…

Just about every article I have ever read about extended warranties says they are usually not a good deal. You will always hear about the one or two people that saved money because something major broke but, how many more never had a repair so they never used the warranty?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Avalanche drive train is covered for 100k.I have pro checking things out for me.

Stonoman

Hey Joe, why not look into leasing a new vehicle. If you don’t put too many miles on one in a year, it may be worth it for you. It’s cheaper than buying a new truck and it would always be under warranty. On the flip side you would always have a truck payment, but you wouldn’t have to worry about fixing it if it broke down.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Watch out for warranties offered by anyone but the dealer.
I bought one to save a few bucks, when my tranny blew they refused to honor it.
Company had changed owners-there is some really sleazy stuff out here.
Also, what Easy said above. These lice play dating games; some even start their ten year warranty the day you buy your car-not when your 3 year dealer warranty expires.

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I don’t think they are worth the money, if you buy good vehicles. We have a 2005 Toyota Camry since new, it has 250,000 miles on it, change oil, fluids, brakes, tires, and an alternator a few weeks ago. No other service needed. Also have a Toyota Tacoma since new, 2005, 195,000 miles. Change oil, tires, and brakes, never had a problem with it. I’d hate to think I spent $2800 a year, that would be almost $28,000 [:0] for a maintenance contract. Heck, you can buy a new truck for that!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I’m with Larry. Buy good vehicles and maintain them. My wife’s 2007 Camry has 140,000 mi. & my 2006 Tundra with almost 90,000 mi. on it. I have regular maintenance done on them and have had no major problems. In my opinion, Toyota has some of the best vehicles around.
I had nothing but problems with the Dodge Ram I had. Everything started to take a crap as soon as the manufacturers warrantee expired. Transmission & rear end, both within a couple of months of each other, just after 75,000 mi.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Bought a Hyundai problem solved, got an 04 Ford truck 88K on it no problem. Ram and its pal Jeep are probably the worst on the market.