cable televison

Has anyone totally dumped cable and gone with hulu, Netflix and some of the others. I am about done with the price and their customer serviceless. The main concern is sports. Football season I need to be able to watch and DVR games.

I would look into Sling Tv also. You should be able to see 95% of Gamecock games on SEC Network, ESPN Family Networks and Over the air channels.

https://www.sling.com/

My wife and I have Netflix, and about a year ago bought a digital HD antenna to replace directv. Netflix covers about 95% of what we watch, but because of college football season, we like to have the four main networks ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. The antenna we bought at bestbuy was $70, and gets those four networks that come through in 1080i HD. We also get 10 other channels, but don’t really watch them. Of course, we don’t get ESPN networks, so occasionally will watch a game at a bar, but long story short, we get to watch 99% of what we wwant, all in HD, for $8/month. We’ll never go back to paying for directv, or other cable providers.

You could also get a Amazon fire stick and load Kodi on it or you could load Kodi on a computer a use it as you media center.

I echo what troutguy days. Roku, Netflix, already had Amazon Prime. We did increase our bandwidth due to the amount of streaming going on in our house.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

what do you do about internet? just get it alone from the cable company?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

xman do you have all three of those? If so doesn’t that get pretty pricey per month? Called the cable company today to get them to lower my bill, they could care less. I am sure a week after I give them my DVR’s and cancel services they will then offer me a better deal than what I was trying to get today, but I really don’t care the lack of appreciation they have for a long time customer is just unbelievable.

A combo of sling and Netflix I would think would cover pretty much all my sports and shows and save me some serious money. Someone also mentioned PlayStation VUE to me. Said you do not have to have a playstation. I have not looked into it yet.

I have comcast for internet only. The roku box just serves to get on line, but the same could be done with a smart TV or laptop. We already had amazon prime for shopping, and movies/TV shows come with that, so no “additional” cost. We pay for Netflix and Hulu. So, really it is about $20/month for the tv/videos/movies we pay for.

We use nettalk for home phone too. It is VOIP, unlimited local/long distance, kept our previous number, and is around $36/year.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Thank you for the info.

how are y’all getting the internet access for these things?

We recently dumped satellite TV, recently as in a year and 1/2 ago, for the same rea$on. We get internet only through cable and have netflix/hulu/amazon prime. We already have a smart TV so all the above is/was loaded and everything works strait through the TV. As a side note, I put a splitter in the cable coming in and hooked it to the TV and get 13 or so local channels as well without a cable box. Not HD or anything but still get some local news and sports. Have not even thought about switching back.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

how are y’all getting the internet access for these things?

My guess is Comcast, WOW, Att or some land line provider. I doubt someone is doing this through their cellular provider as their only access.

http://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-streaming-live-tv-compared/

Thanks for that Vols. I really like the recording feature of VUE. I am going to have to do a little more homework, keep the ideas coming.

good thread thank you

I fantasize about offing Comcast

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

good thread thank you

I fantasize about offing Comcast

Ditto, paying DTV and a Comcast bill for internet. over 200 bux a month and no premium channels.

Should be a sticky for a little while^^^

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13

You could also get a Amazon fire stick and load Kodi on it or you could load Kodi on a computer a use it as you media center.

You can lead the horse to water but you can’t make them drink it. If they only knew…

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

tell me about Kodi

and explain it to me like I’m 2 3sailfish looking at flats boats.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

tell me about Kodi

and explain it to me like I’m 2 3sailfish looking at flats boats.

I’m gonna drop a dead mullet in your live well. Pee Jr told me you hate that…

May all your favorite bands stay together…