Can we have a discussion?

Finishing the last details on the Bote. Now, I’m looking forward to offshore trolling. My equipment is “modest” (meaning fishing equipment) at best. Just want to have some fun. Anyone care to enlighten me on some advice on Mahi, and Wahoo? No secrets, just some “Cliff’s Notes” on the basics.

Thanks, Scott

RBF

Robinette’s Bend Forward

I’m traveling back home today, and I hate posting from the phone. I have some ideas, I’ve been where you are.

Advice is generally worth what you pay for it, that being said what boat are we talking about and what stuff do you have to start above a 3/0?

Talk to you soon

EF

Haha, Lil’ EFer trying to play nice after all the nasty things he said about Uncle Nutz…

Geez, just an obvious attempt to not get banded if the functionality is available on the new site…

RBF

1 Like

OK, so you help him out DikkHead.

Go right ahead, you seem to have all the answers.

And here it is Folks, the reason why most all decent members left this sight. Arrogant trolling jerks.

EF asked the right questions to give you the best answers. imo

Mixed Nutz trolling for Dolphin I would run 4-6 knots and when they are biting they are not real picky. A pink tube IMO is one of the better artificials I like the Dolphin magic Pink/White. They will work for wahoo as well, if specifically targeting Wahoo up your troll speed 6-10 knots. You get a Dolphin on the line try and keep one hooked up behind the boat, it will attract others. Keep a casting rod with a rigged Ballyhoo if you get em up to the boat. (learn how to rig ballyhoo) Weed lines, Temp breaks, birds diving, a chunk of floating real-estate are all good to look for.

Best thing is find someone that has the time to go with you that has experience and learn real time from them. Huge difference from crap I say and you find on YouTube over OJT. Hope you have a blast. Don’t be afraid to ask a fellow boater that has returned with a nice catch what bait they used… live or artificial and what color artificial was best. If they seem really friendly you may ask what general area they trolled. If you have the boat for it, the Deli is producing right now.

1 Like

Fred pretty much covered it.
I usually drag Islanders in pink and white, blue and white. For wahoo my favorite is black and purple.
I also try to drag something a little deeper if you don’t have downriggers take a length of paracord put a big planer on it and drop it. Take a paperclip & a rubber band and drop it down the line. It will just break off every time you don’t have to keep pulling up the planer board. I also run islander chuggers on top. I also always run a cedar plug this time of year for the footballs.
If you want someone to tag along I have a ton of gear a lot of experience gas money and I’m not scared of a scrub brush

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Guys, you have to ignore the pathetic jackazzes. They were unloved as babies or were bullied in school so now they desperately seek attention. DON’T give it to them and hopefully like an unfed stray dog, they will wander off.

Don’t let these cretins ruin this site anymore than they have.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Yep, I agree with DF… The only difference is Lil’ EFer still acts like a baby… Lil’ EFer believes he can just besmirch someone, and their business, and all is forgotten… I wouldn’t trust any advice Lil’ EFer would give anyways as Lil’ EFer likes to trick folks, and then make fun of them afterwards…

RBF

Mahi are not very picky about what they eat. I like to have a few plain Bally or some bonito strips in the spread. Wahoo are a different critter. They like dark colors and I have caught many 10’ and less from the transom. When I fished often there was a split between captains that used wire ,and the ones that used floor. Wire is cheap floro is pricey. If yellowfin are out there then floro is required. If there are lots of cudas and king Mack’s. Floro will cost you in lost terminal tackle. Mahi and wahoos don’t seem to care. Learn to tie a Bimini twist. Buy good swivels and quality hooks. Sharpen them often. Salt water can be abrasive. I used to carry a gallon of menhaden oil and drip it sparingly into the water along a good weed line.

Please do not respond to the posters that have nearly ruined this forum. Let them converse with their minority of those that agree with them. This is not cancel culture. They can post all they want within the TOS but our good posters have the right to not respond

Note that there hasn’t been a serious yellowfin run in 15 years. I always had bottom fishing equipment on board . Don’t converse with any post that starts with “ HA HA”

Please do not respond to the posters that have nearly ruined this forum. Let them converse with their minority of those that agree with them. This is not cancel culture. They can post all they want within the TOS but our good posters have the right to not respond
1 Like

This is what I’m enjoying, people helping people, positive stuff ya know!!

NN

DoubleN, I really don’t know EF or his content on this sight. I’m hoping old boy was being sincere. At times I’m all for ef’s posts, and other’s not so much. ( still have silence on the Friendly Fire thing being unavoidable) But on this thread EF came off as good info only to be sidelined by a Douche Bag troll. Are those two cohorts? Aliases, Maybe? Several times I’ve been told I’m over my head… but with no reasoning. Sure, I’m a simple man, but don’t be an arrogant dickwood. I’ll give anyone the shirt of my back that I think needs it.

Life is Good. Let’s hope Mixed Nutz gets a boat load of meat and shares some pics.

All the years i fished offshore never caught a yellowfin.
Yeah don’t jack somebody else’s thread to talk s#!@start your own.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

file a float plan

https://floatplancentral.cgaux.org/download/USCGFloatPlan.pdf

PS. a relative caught 2 this year as bicatch billfushin. one here. one in DR

1 Like

Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I welcome anything to help me through the learning curve. All of the positive comments, really, bring back fond memories of times gone by. I was wondering if I would even get a reply, when I posted my question. Thanks again!

OTC you’re welcome aboard any time! As well as any of the rest of you folks. Rebelstate, and I are trying to team up on a couple of trips a month, or as long as gas/diesel funding holds out?

Now, back to the schooling…

I have a few 20"s, 30’s, And I am looking at some 50"s on THT. I’m trying to understand what the best choice on line is? I have 2000 yds. of 100# braid, and several spools of various # mono, up to 80#s. Most of my rods are, inexpensive, either Tiger, or Big Water, by Shakespear. That way, when one hits the drink, you grab another one, and keep fishing!:smiley:

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Scott

1 Like

EF, my boat is a Pro Line 26 Walk. 27’8" LOA, Hard top, 250 Mercury, smoker.

Pro Line 26 walk Merc 250 smoker Tiger Pa'
1 Like

I usually use TLD 30s with 40 or 50 lb mono for trolling…

I have 4 tiagra 50 wides with 80 lb mono 1 Penn 70 with 120 lb mono. Sell them as a lot for $2,500.

I encourage anyone that goes offshore to make up a ditch bag. First and most important is a epurb or plb, handheld radio, flare gun, dye pack, & compass.

22 life’s a day

1 Like

:+1: And don’t forget a good Epirb and easy access to life jackets. What Natureboy said about bottom fishing gear, we have some really fantastic Live Bottom areas if you don’t want to troll or it is unproductive. Constantly watch the bottom and mark all areas that look productive for future exploration. I don’t care for all the “company” you can get on the artificial reefs.

I need to get with my old Beaufort Buddy and see if he still has all our Numbers. Funny how different spots are better for different species. I.E. ARS hole, BSB hole, Grouper hole… We even had an area that more often than not produced nice Flounder.

Heres an older post that’s got some good info. Bottom fishing means either drifting across an area or Anchoring… Anchoring and getting just right can be a pain until you master it.

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/Forums/Topic/Posts/185633?pagenum=2&archived=0

Watching the Bottom while trolling is a great way to find bottom fishing spots.the man made reefs have never produced well for me - probably because of the pressure. Something else that works really well is a kite. You don’t need to spend money on a special “ fishing” kite or a special kite reel. Just about any kids kite will work but use strong line that you can see. Get the kite in the air and attach a release clip with a long leader with a live or dead bait. Let the kite line out until the bait is coming out of the water occasionally. Like a scared flying fish . On the right day this really works!!