Can we have a discussion?

Man you’re giving away the store with that kite tip.

Mixed, if 23 sailfish takes you up on the invite, it’s a trick. Revoke the invitation

Once we caught a 30 lb gag grouper using a kite rig. I didn’t crank it myself tho. The customer is the winch. I guess that gag just had to see what was splashing above

Please do not respond to the posters that have nearly ruined this forum. Let them converse with their minority of those that agree with them. This is not cancel culture. They can post all they want within the TOS but our good posters have the right to not respond

When I first moved to edisto I started saltwater fishing in a Pro Line 22 WalkAround. A lot like yours, only one window in my stabbin-cabin, I think yours has two. And I had a Mariner that was sound as dollar (sic)

I see a lot of advice already (except from RBF, go figure) on terminal tackle, all of it solid. I think I can help you more with your rod and reel setups along with how to set your initial spread. My advice will likely be scoffed at by some here I am sure, but like I said advice is generally worth what you pay for it. I can also help you with some day-saving bottom #'s to check out, (they won’t scoff at those I’d wager)

So anyway, nice boat, that sled will absolutely get you safely to the ledge and back and fish 3-5 guys comfortably. I have always heard Pro Lines were designed by fishermen for fishermen. I like them a lot better than that Merc, but thats another discussion altogether.

Do you have outriggers? Do you have a rocket launcher up top? Are any of your rods bent butt? Do any of your rods have roller tips? Specifically what are the few 20’s and 30’s you have to start with (TLD, Senators, Avet, Zebco)?

What sounder do you have? Whatever it is I would start now by looking at youtube videos of how to tweek it it its full potential. Just running most of them on AUTO will work, but if you want to catch fish you need to learn to read and properly adjust your sounder.

I’d go knots at first too, for the most part anyway. You can always move up to crimps, when the budget allows and the learning curve straightens, but for now knots. Learn the basics like bimini twist, arbor, palomar, uni, albright, they all have specific uses, but if you know those you can attach most anything.

I am certain you can go and catch fish with the equipment you have, but what is your budget to get you started on your first few trips if/wh

Be nice Pea, we’re trying to make this a desirable site again…if we can get the jackazzes to go away.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Ef, I’ll answer your questions in order…

1. No outriggers, but looking.
  2. Yes to rocket launcher.
  3. 3 bent butts with roller tips.
  4. 4 Penn 225’s, 2 Penn Squall 30’s, 1 Tyrnos 20II, 2 Okuma 50"s. Also, 4 Penn 340 gt"s and a couple of Senators for bottom bumping. Some 6500 spinners too.
  5. Lowrance Hook9
  6. Pretty sure I have the knots covered. I’m new to offshore trolling, not fishing.
  7. Not new to offshore in my own boat either. I remember when carrying enough 6 gallon, metal, gas tanks, and a bolony sammich, was my only worry.:+1:

My wife, and daughter, fish with me at times. No problem there.:smiley:

I just downloaded the Navionics app on an ipad I plan to carry on the boat, as a backup chart plotter. From what I’ve seen so far, it"s going to be a game changer!!

Thanks for your interest!

Pro Line 26 walk Merc 250 smoker Tiger Pa'

Anyone have a say on braid vs. mono, for trolling?

I much prefer mono for trolling. It is more forgiving and cushions the initial strike and reacts better in turns. I like Kevlar braid for bottom fishing. :imp::dizzy_face:

Definitely mono…
If you do run braid you need to put at least 100 ft of mono for a shock leader.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Is the braid White? just go with it. \

1 Like

Dang Fred, you made me think of another question. Do I still need 600#s of ice, to head to the Ledge, and back?:face_with_spiral_eyes:

Thanks for the info. Guys!! I still haven’t heard back from EF on his bottom numbers, and advice on my spread?

Pro Line 26 walk Merc 250 smoker [orange] Tiger Pa'[/orange]

Uncle Nutz,

Hope you and the family have fun with the boat. Only advice I can give after all the other good stuff is if you wear glasses of any type to help with your vision (readers, distance, etc.). Buy an extra set of cheap ones to stash on board…

The reel RBF

Thanks RBF, I do wear readers, and can use stronger lenses, up close. Especially when tying mono. I’ll add them to my list of things I’ll most likely forget.:+1:

Yep, and if the **** hits the fan… Kinda hard to read navigation charts, or try to fix something like wiring, etc… Thought of another thing too… Might wanna stash a loaded/full flask in case of an emergency… You can just put it in the first aid kit… :smiley:

RBF

Y’all are a bunch of old farts.
Jajaja!!!
We have Dollar store readers everywhere. 1.75. car truck bike boat bathroom bedroom living room they’re laying everywhere

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

1 Like

We do too, OTC. But not any in the boat.:smiley:

Already thought about the flask, RBF. While I don’t imbibe while fishing, on a long tow back, a nip, or three, might take the edge off…:wink:

If it were me I would start just trolling 5 rods. 5 is a goodly plenty to fish, a small enough spread to manage, and when you get into a school and/or have multiple hook-ups at once it is manageable for a new crew getting to know each other and who is doing what. No matter how much you go over things with the crew before hand it always seems to end up being a cross between musical chairs and a chinese fire drill when the clickers start going off.

If it were me I would spool the two squalls, and the two okuma’s with 250 yards of 100# braid (over 25 feet of mono backing, you need this so the braid doesn’t dig into itself on the reel and jam up) I’d put 350 yards of braid on the Tyrnos with the same top shot of mono.

Is that braid hollow core? If so I’d get a couple of splicing needles and attach my mono that way. If not hollow core I would learn the crazy alberto knot and use it to attach your 100# braid to around 75 to 100 feet of 50# mono on all those reels to start. It might seem like a lot, but you get no give at all with the braid and the mono will stretch 20-25% thus not pulling hooks all the time, especially on short strikes.

If it were me, I’d fish that Tyrnos out of the highest center rocket launcher on the wayyyyyy back. Don’t be afraid to put it out 100 yards behind the boat, or more. Thats why you put a little extra braid on there so you can run it back to what we used to call “hong kong”. Really, way TF back there.

If it were me, I’d put the two 50’s on stand up rods and put them in the port and starboard rocket launchers about head high.

Then if it were me I’d put those those two squalls on the bent butts and run them off the gunnel rod holders as flat lines. After you deploy the bent butts you can pull the line from where it comes out of the rollers down below the reel and attach the main line with a rubber band to the base of the bent butts. That way you can get the bait down into the water a little closer to the back of the boat, p

Wow, that’s some good stuff posted by EF… You feeling OK today EF?

OTC - Interesting thing is I’m 54 and don’t wear readers… I wear glasses for nearsightedness of about -2 to -2.25… I have to take my glasses off to see up close…

RBF

[quote]If it were me I would start just trolling 5 rods. 5 is a goodly plenty to fish, a small enough spread to manage, and when you get into a school and/or have multiple hook-ups at once it is manageable for a new crew getting to know each other and who is doing what. No matter how much you go over things with the crew before hand it always seems to end up being a cross between musical chairs and a chinese fire drill when the clickers start going off.

If it were me I would spool the two squalls, and the two okuma’s with 250 yards of 100# braid (over 25 feet of mono backing, you need this so the braid doesn’t dig into itself on the reel and jam up) I’d put 350 yards of braid on the Tyrnos with the same top shot of mono.

Is that braid hollow core? If so I’d get a couple of splicing needles and attach my mono that way. If not hollow core I would learn the crazy alberto knot and use it to attach your 100# braid to around 75 to 100 feet of 50# mono on all those reels to start. It might seem like a lot, but you get no give at all with the braid and the mono will stretch 20-25% thus not pulling hooks all the time, especially on short strikes.

If it were me, I’d fish that Tyrnos out of the highest center rocket launcher on the wayyyyyy back. Don’t be afraid to put it out 100 yards behind the boat, or more. Thats why you put a little extra braid on there so you can run it back to what we used to call “hong kong”. Really, way TF back there.

If it were me, I’d put the two 50’s on stand up rods and put them in the port and starboard rocket launchers about head high.

Then if it were me I’d put those those two squalls on the bent butts and run them off the gunnel rod holders as flat lines. After you deploy the bent butts you can pull the line from where it comes out of the rollers down below the reel and attach the main line with a rubber band to the base of the bent butts. That way you can get the bait down into the water a little closer to the back of the

Thanks for the ■■■■■■■■ EF!! I’m sure I’ll have some more questions…:+1:

1 Like