Carolina skiff j16

What is yalls opinion on these boys as far as Draft, stability, weight capacity, etc…? I’m 6’2" and 300lbs so my only concern is that with me and another angler plus gear that it might not perform well or safely.

I have a j14. So I’m biased.

Cheap. Stable tough. Floats shallow enough.

Flat bottom will beat you to death in some chop. You’ll be 6’1" in no time. If your fishin buddy is also freakishly large, you’ll go over the weight limit on the placard fast.

Great for creeks icw and giggin. Not great in harbor and slop

Took my old 16’ skiff out this weekend… borrowed it back from my son. Great beater boat and good in smooth water. Hit a few small waves and you will get wet. Run fast on some narrow creeks in sharp curves make sure you have the nose tucked down hard. They will slide pretty good and if they do be smart and back out of the throttle.

as for stability it has always felt a little rocky with a couple of people moving too much from side to side or leaning over netting a fish. I put a polling platform on it and had to move battery and other items forward as these boats do not handle well with too much rear weight. Running an old DR40 Suzuki on it. Top speed about 38. Draft… cant beat it will float on very little water.

Have had it out in St Helena sound when the wind picked up and dang near thought I would turn it over before getting back to calmer water was soaked from over the bow spray. It is definitely a flats boat and not made for waves or other boats wakes.

“Why Bruce?”

I used to get crabs from a guy who oystered and crabed for over a decade with one and he would load it and beat it more and harder than you ever will. I’ve been in one and got caught in a pop up nightmare by ft Sumter and it handle the rough water fine we crept at a low speed and rode the waves which were huge and all I could think of is I can swim to fort Sumter from here.

My son has one and he and I both big guys. I am 6’4" and 300 lbs.

Pros:
It will get in shallow water
Low cost entry point to get into a boat for fishing
No frills but a relatively solid boat
It will not sink

Cons:
Limited storage
Wet boat when there is any chop
Some Carolina Skiffs have water intrusion issues between the hull and the floor where there is foam that gets water logged. Reason being Carolina skiff was not smart enough to put a drain plug in the boat to allow water to escape.

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

I had one for about 8 yrs. Nicely priced - tough - great for creeks and smaller inlets or the lakes and rivers. It is a skiff - it is not a V bottom nor will it handle rougher water like one. Floats in 4" of water. It has 4" of foam in a flat floor so it will pound in a chop or small white caps but, it is solid. The “poundin” is much subdued vs like a plane alum jon boat “Poundin” - know that. It is a wet ride in a chop but, I never found the ride that bad. When its small craft warnings your shouldn’t be out in a 16’ skiff anyway.
I shrimped out of it as long as it was less than 15K. If it was 15K and gusting it was do-able but, sketchy. A true deck dance throwing a cast net!!
Oh - and make sure to get max HP. A 30 at min or a 40 is better. A 25Yami was good for 2 folks. 3 and a load of shrimp gear and I had to change props. Not enough power for 3-4.
Dito the waterlogging- didn’t have that problem but, they are know for it. Not much storage. One dry box under a bench seat and rest under front deck.
For a couple kids they would love it. Just got to pick your days on bigger waters. For me I’m an ol fart and lean toward bay boats.
I really liked mine but, better choices are out there.

J Ford

I have been looking for a deal on one with a 30-40 tiller with tilt + trim and no frills/goofy crap/holes drilled in the boat. slim picking out there-

You gotta look outside our area. I.e. Columbia lake Norman etc

Have had a J16 since 94, love it, but its not my only boat! Cant beat it for throwing a cast net over bait or marsh hen hunting or running a river in the upstate. If it real windy i’ll take something else. You can pull it with a small truck or car and it runs well with a 25 hp and uses a lot less gas than my 115 or 250.

Redfisher, I ment to mention that I catch shad in mine for live bait and load it with a 50 gal and 2 30 gal bait tanks, 4 batterys, 6 gal gas, a 25 hp motor, !/2 dozen castnets and 2 people and don’t feel overloaded!

Find an old dry whaler in decent shape. Better in many ways imo

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

Find an old dry whaler in decent shape. Better in many ways imo

I agree with you on that one Optiker, but those things are getting hard to come by and when you do find one it is priced too high imo. That’s a boat if in decent shape is well worthy of a repower.

“Why Bruce?”

Man, I was lucky on my 17 whaler, I found it years ago ’ I pulled a guy in that had broken down, he told it was the third time in 2 weeks and he was going to buy a new one and I bought it for $ 500 with a 85 Johnson and drive on tra. Pulled off all the rails and wood and now have a great boat!

If you do like I did, and expand your Craigslist search to NC to FL you can still find em. I bought mine off a day in Daytona and pretty much paid for the value of the motor. The hull was dry and in decent shape

I have had my j16 for 7yrs now and love it. But with 3 people and it’s under powered with a 25 four stroke.
I have dreams of bigger & faster but it get me everywhere I need to go for now so I would recommend one.

You can always make money but you cant make time.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

I have a j14. So I’m biased.

Cheap. Stable tough. Floats shallow enough.

Flat bottom will beat you to death in some chop. You’ll be 6’1" in no time. If your fishin buddy is also freakishly large, you’ll go over the weight limit on the placard fast.

Great for creeks icw and giggin. Not great in harbor and slop

Sure hope 23 doesn’t see this…

I have a good friend with a 2015 14’ CS and he loves it for what he does, back creek fishing, so if that’s what you plan to do then its a fine choice I would say

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Try a 4 blade prop, sure helped mine!

I don’t understand the allure with old whalers

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

I don’t understand the allure with old whalers

They don’t sink and we’re popular.

How many other 50 yr +/- old boats do you see on the water regularly?
They are built to last. Float in 6" water. Super stable. Very light. Foam throughout, even up the sides.
Should I go on?
Plus you are sure to get plenty of comments/thumbs up at the gas station :slight_smile: