CATFISH- hear me out

Y’all,

We are blessed to live at the ocean, where we have an abundance of tasty saltwater fishes like grouper and mahi and tuna. Those of you who have never lived inland might find yourselves turning your nose up at something so undignified as a fried catfish.

You would be wrong to do so.

If you don’t believe me, pack your family in the car and go to the Glass Onion before they finish with this catfish dinner special they are running. Its like twelve dollars and includes hush puppies and fries. You have until the 16th of this month until it ends (it is coinciding with restaurant week or something like that).

We went last night and it is the best fried fish I have ever had. Ever.

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

Y’all,

We are blessed to live at the ocean, where we have an abundance of tasty saltwater fishes like grouper and mahi and tuna. Those of you who have never lived inland might find yourselves turning your nose up at something so undignified as a fried catfish.

If you don’t believe me, pack your family in the car and go to the Glass Onion before they finish with this catfish dinner special they are running. Its like twelve dollars and includes hush puppies and fries. You have until the 16th of this month until it ends (it is coinciding with restaurant week or something like that).

I wonder if you could call anyone a Southerner, if they have NOT tried fried Catfish! Living on the coast or inland. :smiley:

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

Y’all,

I wonder if you could call anyone a Southerner, if they have NOT tried fried Catfish! Living on the coast or inland. :smiley:

I grew up eating at catfish places in MS where they fry em whole and you pick em apart. Was fish camp, now is “catfish wagon” - but same idea.

We still go back once a year or so, but its not great anymore. This catfish @ G.O. was amazing.

We used to eat them at a little place down on the Ogeechee River, Love’s Catfish House I think it was called. All you could eat of whole fried catfish. Small ones. Dang, those were some good fish!

Sometimes when my neighbors and I drink too much, we go down to the creek crossing and build a fire and catch cat fish. Get a bucket full of them about 10" long, then fry them all up. Hard to beat :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I think you will find in this thread that most of us from here have and do love fried catfish. It is one of my favorites.

I would put my top 5 as

1. Blackfish
  2. FRESH whiting
  3. Flounder
  4. Snapper
  5. Catfish

Triggers are very close, just hate cleaning!!

RWL cleaning triggers is a piece of cake since Sellsfish taught me the trick

Go all around the outside of the fish with a filet knife just cutting through the skin.
Peel the skin off in one nice big triangle piece then filet as usual.

Trigger is #1 or #2 on my list next to grouper

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Sorry guys, I already eat: hogfish, yellowfin tuna, wahoo, grouper, red snapper (oops), vermilion snapper, BSB, dolphin, cobia, halibut, and probably a couple more. As you can see, there just isn’t any room for catfish in my top 10 list…

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Sorry guys, I already eat: hogfish, yellowfin tuna, wahoo, grouper, red snapper (oops), vermilion snapper, BSB, dolphin, cobia, halibut, and probably a couple more. As you can see, there just isn’t any room for catfish in my top 10 list…

sometimes I hate you. I see your offshore trips while I’m tied to a desk or in some God forsaken part of the world meeting with a supplier.

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

RWL cleaning triggers is a piece of cake since Sellsfish taught me the trick

Go all around the outside of the fish with a filet knife just cutting through the skin.
Peel the skin off in one nice big triangle piece then filet as usual.

Trigger is #1 or #2 on my list next to grouper

Thanks, I will try that. Most of my problem is not enough practice as I don’t get them that often. I love them, they are just a different taste to me, albeit a great taste!

Love grouper too, just prefer it grilled or pan seared.

I think I’d rather clean triggers than catfish, they aren’t so slippery.
One of my close neighbors is a blind man and he can clean 2 catfish to my 1. He can also clean 2 deer or 2 hogs to my 1 [:I] He also has a pond loaded with catfish:smiley:

Catfish are about the only fresh water fish that I really like to eat and I’d rate them somewhat better than red snapper, but not as good as a blackfish or trigger, or wahoo, or tuna, or flounder, or whiting…

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I think I’d rather clean triggers than catfish, they aren’t so slippery.
One of my close neighbors is a blind man and he can clean 2 catfish to my 1. He can also clean 2 deer or 2 hogs to my 1 [:I] He also has a pond loaded with catfish:smiley:

Catfish are about the only fresh water fish that I really like to eat and I’d rate them somewhat better than red snapper, but not as good as a blackfish or trigger, or wahoo, or tuna, or flounder, or whiting…

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I just buy the catfish! :wink:

Also, you fry wahoo and tuna?

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy
quote:

sometimes I hate you. I see your offshore trips while I’m tied to a desk or in some God forsaken part of the world meeting with a supplier.

Don't hate the player... Hate the GAMEFISH...
quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

somewhat better than red snapper

Wow, don't say such a thing!!! How do you prepare your RS? I like to blacken them with some pam butterspray, salt, pepper, and a good amount of "Cajun Redfish Magic" and slap them on the grill... Man, it makes me want to go out and commit some federal crimes in federal waters right now just thinking about it!!!

Catfishing was the first fishing I did all by myself with no help as a kid. So I have a special place in my heart (and stomach) for catfish. Once you learn how to skin them, they are super-easy to clean. And yeah, the little ones fried whole are very, very good. If a man likes fried fish, he’d love fried catfish. Add cole slaw and cheese grits and sweet tea with lemon…good Lord in Heaven.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

i hat him often

Salt and peppered fried to me are the best , only problem for me
is if I clean them from some of the waters around here i’ll have problem eating them ;“wormy” to point of playing on imagination!!:frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

i hat him often

The feeling is NOT mutual... I love you guys!!!
quote:

Some of us are not as fortunate as yourself. But I’ll say this, if you ever want to try some catfish, I’ll be more than happy to plan a time for some small channel cat’s fried whole, and add to it some Flat head & blue fillets…

I also have and still do eat the above mentioned fish… Variety is the spice of life…

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I rode all the way from NorthEast Cola with a best buddy of mine on junior year prom night at 2AM after the girls went to sleep in the hotel room. Went to the ole Wateree homestead and found some steaks in the freezer my Dad had bought from Omaha steaks. Thawed a few out and sliced one up for catfish bait… Mixed a few Jack Daniel margaritas and decided the fillet mignon would be better to eat than what we might catch.

My buddy was right, grilled them up about 4-5 AM and ate, drank more make-shift JD Margs, and hit the road back to pick up the girls with BoJangles gravy biscuits, steak biscuits, and sweet Ice Tea.

We told them it sure was a long ride to get them breakfast…

They were happy and gave us a double…

Autopenned: RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

I rode all the way from NorthEast Cola with a best buddy of mine on junior year prom night at 2AM after the girls went to sleep in the hotel room. Went to the ole Wateree homestead and found some steaks in the freezer my Dad had bought from Omaha steaks. Thawed a few out and sliced one up for catfish bait… Mixed a few Jack Daniel margaritas and decided the fillet mignon would be better to eat than what we might catch.

My buddy was right, grilled them up about 4-5 AM and ate, drank more make-shift JD Margs, and hit the road back to pick up the girls with BoJangles gravy biscuits, steak biscuits, and sweet Ice Tea.

We told them it sure was a long ride to get them breakfast…

They were happy and gave us a double…

Autopenned: RBF

That’s the epitome of a young southern gentleman… never forget the girl’s breakfast.

I’ve pulled fresh shrimp out the freezer for catfish and spot tail, but never would I waste a steak on one…