Cattle

I’m looking to get 3 or 4 head of beef cattle to raise. I’ve had some bad experience with the auctions and would like to buy directly from an established local farmer. Anybody have info on who I could contact?

where is local?

I have a friend in the Darlington area that sells cows. I can check with him to see if he has anything available. Let me know.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Where is local or how far are you willing to travel is the big question. We got ride of all our beef cows and are strictly dairy cows now but I may could find you some depending on what you want. I’m in the upstate though

Sea Pro sv2100/ Yamaha 150

Hollywood/Megget

quote:
Originally posted by Hooligan

Hollywood/Megget

Check with Anchorage Plantation on Wadmalaw.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

White face or angus!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

White face or angus!

Racist!

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

White face or angus!

Racist!

With such a question you must be a deplorable! I bet you will go as far to build a fence!

He surely uses an electric! Barbwire might wound him!

quote:

White face or angus!

? how about a white faced angus red or black.

Hooligan, Orangeburg auction is pretty good. From what I’ve seen most that sell away from an auction are pretty pricey unless you get really lucky. I’ll ask around.

“Why Bruce?”

I grew up in Wisconsin and was involved with several dairy and cattle farms up there. When you went to an auction up there you knew everything about the cattle you were bidding on. Lineage, production, health history, etc. The auctions in SC are a total crap shoot. None of this info is available. Most have not had the proper shots. My vet said it is a terrible situation. He suggested I get in touch with some reputable local farmers and buy from them. At least I’d know where they came from.

quote:

I grew up in Wisconsin and was involved with several dairy and cattle farms up there. When you went to an auction up there you knew everything about the cattle you were bidding on. Lineage, production, health history, etc. The auctions in SC are a total crap shoot. None of this info is available. Most have not had the proper shots. My vet said it is a terrible situation. He suggested I get in touch with some reputable local farmers and buy from them. At least I’d know where they came from.

Fair enough, you do get some scruffy cattle coming through. Just have to keep a good eye out. Some nice stock gets run through with paperwork. As for proper shots ? We may put a little LA2000 for a cold , other than that just some pour on ivermectin for worms spring and fall. Pretty low maintenance with good pasture and fence.

Good luck with your future herd!

“Why Bruce?”

how many cows have you owned Fred?

ballpark it for ole peapod

quote:

Easy there! You’re bordering on telling people “how you did things up north.” Go too far down that road and these guys will chastise you and quit trying to help you. :smiley:

God bless the “ignore” function.

Bang, I hesitated before I sent that. My saving grace is that Wisconsin is nowhere near Ohio, NY, Jersey, etc. Just some good country folk where I grew up.HA!

i know some wisconsins, wisconsonians, wiscs

theyre nothing like OH NJ

This post has become udderly ridiculous, and it’s time to moove on…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

how many cows have you owned Fred?

ballpark it for ole peapod

Would it matter what I said to you? A few most where dads and an old bosses. I’ll bet you know about stump broken cows.

You still mad for fritz?

“Why Bruce?”

1. maybe

2. i’m too old to be mad. i am jealous of his hair. and how he gets his woman to mow the yard