Choosing the Proper Shrimp Net

From 9/7/00</font id=blue>

September is here and for many people in the Lowcountry this month marks the beginning of shrimp baiting season. Before the season starts each shrimper will take an inventory of what they have and what they will need to make their season as successful as possible. This is also the time of year local retailers make sure they have what customers will come looking for. Over the past several years these list have gotten longer and longer as manufacturers target this market and invent new ideas to make the shrimping process a little more convenient for shrimpers. The cast net is no exception. If you walk in any tackle shop, hardware store, or superstore that caters to shrimpers you will see several different types and makes of cast net. The price of cast nets can range anywhere from $15.00 to $150.00, and the buying process can become quite confusing when trying to decide what net you need. The fact of the matter is, when it comes to shrimp baiting the cast net is the most valuable item in your boat (except for maybe your brother-in-law who’s driving and if you can drive and throw by yourself well the OLE brother-in-law is the second most valuable thing in the boat). All kidding aside, it is very important to choose the right net when beginning a year of shrimping and here are a few things to help make the differences in nets a little easier to understand. Most cast nets today are made of monofilament giving them pretty much the same appearance. Upon closer inspection you will discover a few things that separate the good from the bad.

Throwing the net:

First things first. If you have never thrown a cast net have someone show you how or buy a video on how to throw. I have thrown a net all of my life and last year we purchased a video on throwing that made my life much easier. Minor tips in the video enabled me to perfect my throwing style and now I throw an 8-foot Betts Super Pro net with very little effort. Don’t be afraid to ask questions because missing simple ste