Choosing the Right Reel

It is that time of year, when you take inventory of tackle and determine what you need to replace and what items you may want to add to your arsenal. One item you may be looking at is a new reel. When I was a kid growing up this was not a tough decision, as there were only a few makes and models to choose from. The number a manufacturers and models has increased exponentially since I was a kid. Looking at the display case full of different reels can really get confusing these days. Narrowing down your choice can take a little work, but there are a few things that will help you in narrowing your selection.

One of the first things to consider is what type of fishing you will be using the reel for. Selecting the proper size reel rated for the pound test line and capacity are important. There are also many new designs that are for very specific purposes, such as deep water jigging. Once you determine use you can narrow the field.

Your budget will definitely trim down the number of choices. If you have no budget you can skip the rest of this paragraph. I believe with fishing tackle, in most cases, you get what you pay for. This does not mean I am suggesting you go and spend $600 on a spinning reel, but if you think you can spend $20 and get a reel that will last you for years and years, you are not being realistic. Determining your budget before you start looking will help you keep focused on a specific range of reels. There are plenty of good value reels out there that perform well.

The final part of the decision involves asking for ■■■■■■■■ from other anglers and the guys in the local tackle shop. When I say, ask the guys in the local tackle shop, I don’t just mean the guys at the counter, you also need to ask the guy in the back that works on them every day. I worked in the tackle business and you will here guys say things like, “ball bearings are important so buy the reel with the most bearings you can afford”. While many times, higher end reels contain more bearings, I’ve also seen