Christmas Fried Turkey?

Do any of the restaurants fry turkeys for Christmas? We get our Thanksgiving fried turkey from Smokey Oak but they do not do them for Christmas.

If it were closer, you would be welcome to drop yours off at our place…Seems like we plan to fry 2 every Christmas but end up doing 3 or 4 …Maybe someone closer is doing one that won’t mind…What’s 30 more minutes standing around gonna hurt ? Mite just meet a new bunch of good folks.

He should bring some beer for the cook though.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

buy a cooker at wally world and drop the bird in…

" It is what it is".

Come on Cape, surely your Ray Gun will reach to his place :wink:

Try Bogangles.

Double D.

I always fry my own too. And once the grease is hot it’s as easy to fry 2 or 3 as just one. I ususally fry a couple of chickens after the turkey and freeze them for later. The dang peanut oil cost more than the bird, might as well fry a few of them.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I set up and fry chicken/turkey/game hens a couple times a year. To me, one of the best ways to cook fowl.

Take some lessons from Alton Brown’s show Good Eats on how to set up and do it. Low temp to start and then raise it make a pretty bird in a short time.

Larrys right on it with the price of oil! I try to fry all I can on thanksgiving and Christmas and save the oil to fry fish for the next few times. I had a buddy who would save his oil in a galvinised gas can , it would keep for a year!

quote:
Originally posted by SCARCHER220

buy a cooker at wally world and drop the bird in…

" It is what it is".

… slowly…

quote:
....... slowly......

So you’ve seen the Youtube videos.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom
quote:
....... slowly......

So you’ve seen the Youtube videos.

Oh yea!

I use my welding gloves , even with the bird dried off the initial steam while lowering can get pretty warm. :smiley:. Ummm fried turkey skin! Can’t beat it.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Come on Cape, surely your Ray Gun will reach to his place :wink:

Local Astronaut Doesn’t Pay Light Bill:::::

Story forthcoming…

Can you reuse the oil? I’ve been told you can put the oil (once it’s cool) in the freezer and use it at the next holiday, won’t spoil.

I have a smoker, and that’s how I typically do a turkey. I usually end up pulling it from the smoker after 8 hours and finishing it off in the oven at 240, nice and slowly. Usually tender and juicy… occasionally I get a little frisky with the smoke and it’s overpowering lol

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

I strain it and re-use it between Thanksgiving to Christmas, never tried keeping it all year.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I keep mine for a whole year. I fry at least 2 turkeys on thanksgiving and Christmas. If you store it in a cool dry place it’ll keep for at least a year. The main thing is that it doesn’t get too warm and no temperature fluctuations. I strain it and pour it right back into the bottle and keep it the pantry. After the second Christmas I throw it out and buy new the next Thanksgiving.

Ever since I started frying my turkeys, ill never go back to the oven roasting again.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I prefer my turkey bird fried too! Whole chickens are even better.

I’ve got a jug of oil in my shed that’s been there since last Christmas. I’ll give it a smell, maybe it’s still good.

Capt. Larry Teuton

If it doesn’t smell rancid (you’ll definitely know if it’s bad), then I’d use it.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

The youtube vids are pretty hilarious. SO you’re saying you don’t throw a frozen turkey into a completely full pot of grease from 5 feet away?!

Probably not a good idea.

I wear welding gloves, heavy clothes, safety glasses and a hat. Ease the bird in just a couple of inches, then pull it back up, then a couple more inches, and pull it back up. A little at a time. I usually turn off the burner while putting the turkey in the pot.

I’ve seen one turkey pot fire, don’t want to see another [:0]

Capt. Larry Teuton