Christmas Time in the Lowcountry

If you are like me you really struggle with Christmas shopping for your fellow sportsman that already have everything. My father and father-in-law both fit into this category so my wife and I are always looking for the new latest and greatest gift. Most of the time we end up going with one of the many old stand-bys and it almost always goes over well.

Since I struggle every year with ideas I thought everyone could use a list to help them out. I compiled the bulk of this list over the last couple of years and have added just a few new ideas for this year. Some of these ideas are quite obvious, others may not be; hopefully this will help you figure out a gift for your fishing partner or give you some ideas to put on your own list to Santa.

• Weather Station – Price Range is from $30 to $300 plus depending on features. My wife got one for me over 4-years ago now and I still use it every single day. Even with the weather application on my I-Phone I find myself looking at the station in the kitchen every morning while making breakfast. Mine provides wind speed and direction, current barometric pressure along with pressure trends, air temperature and wind chill. It will also interface with my computer to keep a running log of the weather so I can see what the wind gust reached over night, or how much the temperature has fallen over the past two days, etc. Not only do I use this info to determine what to wear for the day; I usually record the weather prior to leaving the house to fish so I can determine what weather factors contribute to the bite.

• Log book – From a simple spiral bound notebook to a water proof page book (Most of your survey supply retailers such as Duncan Parnell sell waterproof field notebooks that are great for recording catch data on the water.) or a computer database for fishing, all are great gift ideas to track when, where and under what conditions fish are caught.

• Knives – Quite simply you can never have enough knives. As far as fillet knives, I personally may use up