Church , guns & concealed carry& add schools to it

I will start off by saying. I am 100% pro gun 2nd amendment. At work today I was telling one of my coworkers about a little country Church. Maybe 40-50 members. They hired someone to come in and train them. They now have members designated to carry. They also have ongoing training. Another co-worker overheard us and strongly objected.He said there is absolutely no place for a gun in a church.
Not judging. Just wondering everyone else’s opinion??

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

I carry in most places I go. At my church there are several others that carry, and during services one or more of those people are observing the parking lot , and in a position to challenge anyone approaching an entrance. Gun free zones are very dangerous

My church has a team of armed men and offers classes on defence which I took and learned a lot. Taught by an ex seal and LEO. My wife and I have had a CWP for years but learned so much more in the classed he taught.

I might have agreed with your friend 20-30 years ago. That someone would walk into a church and kill people was unthinkable back then. Sadly, that is no longer the case. Ask your friend if he would be willing to use deadly force to protect his family in church. I admit that I’m a bit uneasy with the idea of shooting someone to save myself, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use deadly force to save someone else - in church or not.

quote:
Originally posted by Off the chain

I will start off by saying. I am 100% pro gun 2nd amendment. At work today I was telling one of my coworkers about a little country Church. Maybe 40-50 members. They hired someone to come in and train them. They now have members designated to carry. They also have ongoing training. Another co-worker overheard us and strongly objected.He said there is absolutely no place for a gun in a church.
Not judging. Just wondering everyone else’s opinion??

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

Different times for sure. We have members that carry, but like Surf said something you would have never thought of only 30 years ago. Even if you don’t carry the CWP class with a good instructor is a fantastic tool for learning Gun laws and safety.

When Judas betrayed Jesus, and led soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees to arrest Jesus, Simon Peter drew his sword and cut off the right ear of the high priest’s servant. (John chapter 18). Jesus allowed at least one of his Disciples to be armed. I see nothing wrong with having several well trained armed people mixed within a congregation ready to defend the defenseless from some nut.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

It is a whole new world out there now and there are elevated risks everywhere but unfortunately the inept SC Legislature convoluted the carry laws so bad it creates a lot of additional risk for CWP Carriers. There should be no such thing as a “gun free zone” for licensed carry, no doubt it increases risk in those areas and the thresholds for use of deadly force here are crazy.

I carry everywhere that is legal to carry and I also carry LE Quality Pepper Spray everywhere for the non-lethal aspect of carry.

Concealed carry is very prevelant in churches. I believe, however, you need permission from the church authority to carry in a church. Maybe even written permission.?

quote:
Originally posted by Hooligan

Concealed carry is very prevelant in churches. I believe, however, you need permission from the church authority to carry in a church. Maybe even written permission.?

Correct

Here is the Church CCW Carry Law and the crazy medical section.

Carry is prohibited: church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;

* written approval is not legally required but it is highly recommended.

hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly            authorized by the employer.

But, this is probably the worst restriction because can be placed at any establishment and be enforced:

A place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises pursuant to Sections 23-31-220 and 23-31-235. Except that a property owner or an agent acting on his behalf, by express written consent, may allow individuals of his choosing to enter onto property regardless of any posted sign to the contrary. A person who violates a provision of this item, whether the violation is wilful or not, may only be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620 and must not be charged with or penalized for a violation of this subsection.

quote:
Originally posted by Beavertail

Here is the Church CCW Carry Law and the crazy medical section.

Carry is prohibited: church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;

* written approval is not legally required but it is highly recommended.

hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly            authorized by the employer.

But, this is probably the worst restriction because can be placed at any establishment and be enforced:

A place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises pursuant to Sections 23-31-220 and 23-31-235. Except that a property owner or an agent acting on his behalf, by express written consent, may allow individuals of his choosing to enter onto property regardless of any posted sign to the contrary. A person who violates a provision of this item, whether the violation is wilful or not, may only be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620 and must not be charged with or penalized for a violation of this subsection.

First sorry for the long winded response that follows, but this is something that bothers me A LOT.
The thing about those signs which in my opinion are ludicrous in most places because it’s advertising a soft target and only law abiding citizens will obey regardless, but I digress, the signs more often than not do not meet the SLED definition of a legal non CWP sign. See https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php SECTION 23-31-235 for exact requirements. It’s my thought that many of these signs are not up to spec so the proprietors can pacify the anti

Churches are also a soft target for car vandalism. Years before the threat of a bad guy entering a church and shooting it up , we had several door puller incidents where members lost valuables left in cars , and had a few services disrupted by vehicle alarms . There will never be a shortage of bad guys around. The DEM’s will make sure of that!

Just saw this https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/florida-senate-approves-bill-arm-teachers-guns-103354367.html

Of course the dems are raging about this, but what’s new there.

You gonna talk or FISH!

No one need carry a gun unless he/she is trained and not afraid to use it!

Boatpoor. You are absolutely correct. When we took are cwp. There was 20 people in the class. When we got ready to go out and shoot.the instructor asked who needed a gun and who has never shot before. 9 people raise their hand. Eight of them did not have a gun. The one that did did not even know how to remove the magazine. I asked the instructor.don’t you think these people should know how to safely operate a weapon? His answer was.I offer courses. Kind of putting the buggy before the horse. We go to the range a couple times a month and train. (outdoor range) Where we can practice our draw. Shoot on the move. And even from our vehicle. with shoot and no shoot targets. Carrying a weapon is a great responsibility. You need to be proficient or just leave it in the safe. If I have my pants on I have my weapon. Sorry I did not mean to write a book.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

No one need carry a gun unless he/she is trained and not afraid to use it!

Do you support 2A?

If you carry you should look into this.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

quote:

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Anyone have any experience with any of these companies? At least as far as how professional and thorough they are in setting up a policy? Prices seem to vary quite a bit.

You gonna talk or FISH!

quote:
Originally posted by Tryin_2_FISHMORE
quote:

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Anyone have any experience with any of these companies? At least as far as how professional and thorough they are in setting up a policy? Prices seem to vary quite a bit.

You gonna talk or FISH!

Beware of “they choose the attorney “ ones, find out who it is they use in your area and check them out closely. Beyond that I don’t know much about them.

We have uscca.
I thought someone would bring this up. So I’m going to throw it out there. This is a tough one. Arming teachers and police in the schools.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.