Cobia Now a South Carolina Gamefish

I remember years ago catching a cobia at the jetties while king mackerel fishing. I fought the fish for a little while and got him to the boat we gaffed the fish slung it into the boat and then things got interesting. Apparently the cobia was not really ready to be boated, but was just taking a leisurely swim back to the boat when he encountered the gaff wielding father. Ive never seen a person grab a billy stick and administer a knockout blow so quickly, but the fish was subdued in a matter of seconds, but not before he gave us quite a scare and knocked the rod and reel he had been hooked with, right out of the boat. Luckily the hook was still in his mouth and we were able to retrieve the rod and reel. Cobias are a strange fish and if you have been fishing long enough you probably have a cobia story of your own.

As I opened my email today I saw that an important step has been taken to assure that my kids and grandkids may one day have the ability to have a cobia story of their own. Thanks to the efforts of the CCA, the cobia has become South Carolinas newest gamefish. Gamefish status means that the sale of cobia caught in state waters will be prohibited. Ive attached a copy of the press release for your reading.

Cobia becomes South Carolinas newest gamefish
Sale of popular fish caught in state waters is prohibited

Columbia, S.C. One of South Carolinas most popular saltwater species, cobia, now enjoys a new level of conservation with the status of gamefish, thanks to legislation passed by the General Assembly in the waning hours of the regular session. The legislation, proposed by the Coastal Conservation Association South Carolina (CCASC) and shepherded by Sen. Greg Gregory, was a collaborative effort between CCA SC and the SC Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR). The passage of this measure is consistent with both CCASCs and the SCDNRs call for taking proactive management approaches to manage our states marine resources that calls for establishing regulations to support a species befo