Cold WX Gear

Any recommendations on a jacket or shell to use fishing in cold weather? I’m not up on the latest/greatest in outerwear, maybe someone here is? I fish all winter and hate being cold. Thanks in advance.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

small batch bourbon

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

Kind of hard to argue with that logic.

With sobriety in mind, I’m a huge fan of Gill outerwear and Under Armour base layers.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6267|2290098&id=2390715

windproof, neoprene cuffs, and you wont drown if you fall in

I beleve in layering, long sleve T, sweet shirt, polar fleese lined jacket and cover with a Gortex 100 mph rain jacket. Ski pants and foam lined boots, ball cap with wool knit tobogan over it, It sure helps to have a wind sheild on the boat!!! I fish out of a cc in the good weather and a duel console in the bad, love that walk tru windsheld when its below freezing. Before I retired I worked construction of 50 yrs. and learned a lot about dressing for the weather. I take my pastor a lot and had to teach him how to dress.

not gonna get cold this year…don’t spend the money…invest in small batch bourbon…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

C’mon guys, you know i prefer Rock N Rye.
Specifics would be helpful… by the way, I don’t do camo.

Hard to beat a Simms shells! They are comfy and seal up tight for long fast boat rides. Most high end ski shells will rust on you. Simms and Patagonia are about the only high end shells I know of that will hold up in salt.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

I used to do the whole this over that, over this, over that, on top of this which goes under that layering thing but when I tried my first pair of Under Armour base layers and some of the newer technologies in clothing, the days of “I can’t put my arms down” were over.

A good non-cotton Under Armour Cold Gear base layer (top and bottoms) under a non-cotton mid-weight 1/4 zip Cold Gear pullover under my Gill jacket and bibs and I’m warm and dry with my normal dexterity. Never had an issue with rust on any of my Gill items.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms-prodry-gore-tex-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~9665j/?filterString=s~simms%2F&colorFamily=01

If I were smaller I would jump on this guy!

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

I just want to pass on that there are many good deals to be found at Good Will…esp after Christmas when folks get new stuff and donate their old.
Another thing to consider in the extreme cold…you know…that’s below 69 for us southern folks :)…are ski bibs. Ive bought several from there. the bibs are 6.99 the jackets are 5.99
last year I also got some north face and LLbean winter clothes that cost a whopping 1.99 -5.99 .and stayed warm every time I went out fishing.

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Thats a good idea, Pen. Thanks. I was in there for the first time the other day. Son needed an ugly christmas sweater. I was surprised at the stuff in there.
BTW, I did a little searching on Ebay and found some quality stuff for pretty good discounts. Thanks everyone.

sorry, I only read the title

I bought a snow ski suit from 2nd hand store years ago on penny’s advice. I look stupider than usual, but I toasty.

I also carry a full change of clothes in one of those vacuum seal bags, also on her advice.

the bass fishin is off the chain in the winter. and no boats except plowing snowbirds, but that’s another topic

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

sorry, I only read the title

I bought a snow ski suit from 2nd hand store years ago on penny’s advice. I look stupider than usual, but I toasty.

I also carry a full change of clothes in one of those vacuum seal bags, also on her advice.

the bass fishin is off the chain in the winter. and no boats except plowing snowbirds, but that’s another topic

Man I wish I met Penny earlier in life! I learned this one the hard way when I threw myself out of a jon boat as a teenager. I learned two very important lessons that day. 1, jon boats are like boomerangs without a driver. 2, Keep a change of clothes.

The best base layer stuff I have found is Patagonia capilene. A little on the pricey side but it works great and holds up.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

straight up baller

Take a look at Columbia Bugaboo jacket and pants. They have Omni-heat reflective lining. Waterproof / windproof and really warm

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

I use Patagonia and Columbia. I try not to be a hatter, but I strongly dislike being cold!

My best remedy is a good fireplace and some of that small batch bourbon:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Mustang float coat

21 Contender

Thanks everyone!