combahee

Any input on leaving a vehicle at the landing on Hwy17 (steel bridge)? It’s been years since I put in there. Was thinking about trying the stripers and trout.

Thanks.

War Eagle 115 yamaha 4 stroke

Knock on wood, I’ve never had an issue there. A IMO a little early for stripers and not much good on trout unless you go a good ways upstream. If you try for spot tail, you won’t have to go far upstream or down.

Sugar Hill Landing is another matter… Don’t leave anything valuable and leave your doors unlocked. That way you don’t end up with a broken window.

how do you target stripers in the combahee? Have always wanted to try it but not sure on what to look for.

fish sleep repeat

Run upstream from Steel Bridge, look for old rice gates and fallen trees in deep water. I think the most effective way to target stripers around these structure is with a trolling motor. Slowly work around the structure, casting crankbaits and spinnerbaits in the upper water column, and work heavier swimbaits and jigs down deep.

If you want to exclusively target large stripers find a good spot and use curly-tail grub tipped WHITE bucktails in January and February. Mature stripers are solitary fish, try dropping live bait (shiners seem best imo) and jig a bit, or put them under a cork. I believe the Combahee still holds the state record for biggest striper. The edisto around Willtown is good as well as brick yard landing on the Asheepoo.

Thanks for the advice. I have only caught a few by accident and wasn’t sure. My dad use to catch some out of West Bank when he was a kid when his grandad was the caretaker down there. When you fish the buck tail do you cast it or do you just jig it around the structure on the bottom?

fish sleep repeat

I am wondering if anyone has ben shad fishing in the Combahee in recent years. I know that the shad have historically migrated up the Combahee to spawn and there are reports of catching them. I’d like to give it a try .

oc

quote:
Originally posted by oyster cracker

I am wondering if anyone has ben shad fishing in the Combahee in recent years. I know that the shad have historically migrated up the Combahee to spawn and there are reports of catching them. I’d like to give it a try .

oc

I’ve not heard of anyone catching a shad in the combahee in many a year. Anyone else have anything on it?

Mullit, I always cast and retrieve bumping off bottom. I’ve never tried jigging one.